US politics - wheeling and dealing, avoiding debt ceiling

The Guardian has done good reporting on the indictments so far, and they've confirmed it from their own sources.

I know he won't get his appropriate punishment, but I'm striving to enjoy the small things in life.

Like his being indicted, and fantasies of pre-trial dentention...

2 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Like his being indicted, and fantasies of pre-trial dentention...

I'd settle for an ankle bracelet and pulling his passports.  He'd squeal like cut pig if that happened.   

6 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

God bless.

Okay, let me rephrase. 

Is he going to be at least convicted of a felony, thus rendering him ineligible for POTUS?

Because, otherwise, what's the point?

Edited by Spockydog

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

Okay, let me rephrase. 

Is he going to be at least convicted of a felony, thus rendering himself ineligible for POTUS?

Because, otherwise, what's the point?

AFAIK, there is no law that says a convicted criminal isn't eligible... which is kind of funny bc even ex felons often can't vote...

5 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

JFC. So he can't be stopped.

Don't take my word for it, but that's what all the laywer and prosecutor type commenters say.

At least one of the charges seem to be under the espionage act.

I maintain hes is a flight risk, he'd be welcome in Hungary, Noth Korea, Russia...

Edited by Mindwalker

7 minutes ago, LongRider said:

I'd settle for an ankle bracelet and pulling his passports.  He'd squeal like cut pig if that happened.   

I'm good with Romney and his boys trying to forcibly cut his hair on live TV. 

4 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

He's got bigger worries. Trump still has many legal battles to face, many which he should lose and some will come with jail time. It just depends on the timing. 

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

Don't despair yet, he has to be nominated and we're a long way from that.  Plus, he's due for more legal trouble soon I think, so............?  As for ex-felons, depends on state law.  Many can, some can't.  In Main, Vermont and Washington D. C. felons can vote while incarcerated.  Voting rights for people convicted of a felony - Ballotpedia

9 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

You stop him at the ballot box. I for one think it's a very good thing that criminal charges can't stop someone from being elected. 

1 hour ago, DMC said:

You're in good company.  Seriously, I thought my original post was pretty clear that I was referring to Falwell's death.  But, my bad.  Live and learn.

Well, not Falwell and Robertson at least.

1 hour ago, James Arryn said:

Happy Birthday!

Damn, you stole my bad joke!

8 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Romney could put him in a cage on the roof of his car, then drive cross-country.

Now we're cooking with gas.

Still can't believe that weirdo did that to his dog. I mean a cat, sure, but a dog?

29 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Is he going to be at least convicted of a felony, thus rendering him ineligible for POTUS?

As @Mindwalker said, it doesn't really matter if he's convicted of a felony.  Eugene Debs ran for president from federal prison and got nearly a million votes in 1920.  Voting laws are up to the states.  Running for president while convicted of a crime?  That's up to SCOTUS.  Theoretically, Trump could run for president from prison and still win the nomination.

But yeah, that's theoretical.  He's not gonna be put in prison.  At least not before November 2024.  This is a guy who's spent his entire adult life dealing with the courts.  He knows how to delay shit.  The good part about this is all this shit hanging over his head will hurt him in the general.  And it will.  Till then..In the primary?  It may well help him.  Because people that still vote for Republicans in primaries are a word we're not allowed to say anymore.

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

As @Mindwalker said, it doesn't really matter if he's convicted of a felony.  Eugene Debs ran for president from federal prison and got nearly a million votes in 1920.  Voting laws are up to the states.  Running for president while convicted of a crime?  That's up to SCOTUS. 

Why though? I agree with the rest of your post; there's no constitutional bar.  SCOTUS won't do anything to interfere.  But as to whether he's going to prison:

(a) he's theoretically a first time offender and this is a process-type crime even if convicted so prison time is unlikely; (b) a federal criminal trial of this size will take 2-3 years at least; (c) as DMC says, Trump will do everything in his power to delay the case from proceeding before Nov. 2024.  Even if he loses the nomination, he'll hope for a Republican victory and a Presidential pardon.  Or (once the spotlight is off and the election is over for him), he may accept a plea deal.  

A lot of people are being unduly pessimistic about its effect on his chances of winning the Republican nomination.  I don't think this moves the needle in itself: those who were for Trump are still for him; those were against are against.  But it is a vulnerability that his opponents can exploit.  

The secret sauce of Trump 2016 was his naked opportunism and willingness to improvise in the manner of a stand-up comedian; he easily jettisoned those Republican principles (free trade; entitlement reform; cutting the deficit) that were unpopular and adopted slogans that were crowdpleasers (drain the swamp). 

His current fixation on this and Impeachment Hoax 1 and 2, RUSSIA RUSSIA RUSSIA doesn't win him any (new) converts.  He's not going to be funny on the debate stage or on the stump, he's not going to have fun.  He'll do anger and outrage, but this point even his devotees are losing track of the scandals and cases.