Diablo 4

Relic

33 minutes ago, Relic said:

works totally fine for me. 

Yeah it was just a rough hour after the launch. Now it's smooth as hell.

I have a barb and not going to lie, I'm struggling (probably cause I'm doing everything solo cause I can't figure out how to make a party and my friends from the old clan are ahead of me and racing to 50). The barb eats mobs up, but every major boss is crushing me. I've tried a few different builds at 22 and can't do much on any of the main missions. My gear isn't great, but I shouldn't be dying every time I fight a key boss I need to beat. I might just suck it up and try another toon. Seems like I never seen anyone else playing barbs (I never got the beta, so I just assumed pick the most simple champ to start). 

44 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I have a barb and not going to lie, I'm struggling (probably cause I'm doing everything solo cause I can't figure out how to make a party and my friends from the old clan are ahead of me and racing to 50). The barb eats mobs up, but every major boss is crushing me. I've tried a few different builds at 22 and can't do much on any of the main missions. My gear isn't great, but I shouldn't be dying every time I fight a key boss I need to beat. I might just suck it up and try another toon. Seems like I never seen anyone else playing barbs (I never got the beta, so I just assumed pick the most simple champ to start). 

If you ever need help I'm willing. I'm level 33 at the moment. There doesn't seem to be matchmaking so I just walk up to people and push up on the d-pad and then select invite from a wheel. 

I've just been going to every dungeon I see with a good aspect reward and trying to find all the lilith shrines. I don't want to start a second character till I have more of those bonuses that apply to every character on the world tier.

Edited by RumHam
Level 33. I don't know where I got 39 from.

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I had problems with bosses as a low lvl barb as well. Apparently they are very gear dependent, but i havent really done any deep dives into theory crafting yet.

I unexpectedly have no work tonight so I broke down and bought the early access. I’m using a sorcerer. I’ve never played any other Diablo’s before besides the beta for this one, and obviously enjoyed it. I’m gonna really dig in a little later.

Wait... I've been debating whether I could justify $70 to buy the game for a couple days now.  I saw an article saying how great the launch has been and finally cracked.  Only to dust off the years of dirt from the battle.net launcher only to find that you have to pay $90 to play now?  How can it have a great launch if it hasnt launched!  I wonder how much Blizzard has made by setting its real launch date for a Tuesday.  Its not like $20 is a bad deal for a weekend's worth of entertainment, but its the principle of the thing!

15 minutes ago, RumHam said:

If you ever need help I'm willing. I'm level 39 at the moment. There doesn't seem to be matchmaking so I just walk up to people and push up on the d-pad and then select invite from a wheel. 

I've just been going to every dungeon I see with a good aspect reward and trying to find all the lilith shrines. I don't want to start a second character till I have more of those bonuses that apply to every character on the world tier.

I might take you up on that, but I'm really leaning towards starting over. I've only sunk about 6-8 hours into this guy and it's going nowhere.

Also I need to just watch a video on all the new features. Game looks great, but it's not as easy to use as others.

15 minutes ago, Relic said:

I had problems with bosses as a low lvl barb as well. Apparently they are very gear dependent, but i havent really done any deep dives into theory crafting yet.

That's maybe where I got this one wrong. In the last two games the barb is the easiest to start with because all you really needed was a weapon and just kinda solve the rest from there. The barb is also tricky because you have four weapons at once and I don't get how to switch them around without using skills. 

9 minutes ago, horangi said:

Wait... I've been debating whether I could justify $70 to buy the game for a couple days now.  I saw an article saying how great the launch has been and finally cracked.  Only to dust off the years of dirt from the battle.net launcher only to find that you have to pay $90 to play now?  How can it have a great launch if it hasnt launched!  I wonder how much Blizzard has made by setting its real launch date for a Tuesday.  Its not like $20 is a bad deal for a weekend's worth of entertainment, but its the principle of the thing!

If you get the cheaper of the two early releases it's just under $100 after taxes. 

Fuck it, time to make a new toon. I just watched a video and the barb is a distance last to get to 50, but has a massive late game advantage because of all the weapon slots. 

I have some questions, as I just cannot get a solid understanding of this from the plethora of articles out there, bombarding the internet. 

1. Is there a story with a beginning, middle, and end? 

2. Whast happens after the game? Is it basically NG+? 

3. Can I (please say yes, please say yes) play this game as a proper single-player experience, and not have to deal with other players? I'm not big on online gaming, and just want a solid single-player experience. 

4. Who the hell is the composer? Matt Uelmen hasn't publicly stated any involvement, nor has Russell Brower, which has left fans guessing that Ryan Amon might be the composer. 

1 hour ago, IlyaP said:

I have some questions, as I just cannot get a solid understanding of this from the plethora of articles out there, bombarding the internet. 

1. Is there a story with a beginning, middle, and end? 

2. Whast happens after the game? Is it basically NG+? 

3. Can I (please say yes, please say yes) play this game as a proper single-player experience, and not have to deal with other players? I'm not big on online gaming, and just want a solid single-player experience. 

4. Who the hell is the composer? Matt Uelmen hasn't publicly stated any involvement, nor has Russell Brower, which has left fans guessing that Ryan Amon might be the composer. 

1) I assume so, why wouldn't there be? The story so far seems more complex and interesting than 3. 

2) I haven't gotten there yet

3) Not really, I don't think. That said voice chat is disabled by default, people never seem to use text chat. You'll see people around town and occasionally out fighting. There are events where people tend to come help you out for special currency. I don't think it's that intrusive though. 

4) No clue, the music hasn't really stood out so far.

51 minutes ago, RumHam said:

3) Not really, I don't think. That said voice chat is disabled by default, people never seem to use text chat. You'll see people around town and occasionally out fighting. There are events where people tend to come help you out for special currency. I don't think it's that intrusive though. 

So it's an MMO-lite? If I'm forced to play a game with other players, how is this really any different from Diablo: Immortal? 

2 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

So it's an MMO-lite? If I'm forced to play a game with other players, how is this really any different from Diablo: Immortal? 

I've only ever played the elder scrolls MMO briefly, so my experience is limited. I wouldn't call it that though. You don't need help to beat the events, ussually. It seems like everything is totally managable solo. There, at least in my limited experience as a necromancer, doesn't seem to be roles like healer/tank/dps.

The only unsolicited interaction I've had so far was earlier today when I was selling things, and a random person said "I need help" and invited me to a party. I helped him beat a boss and then went back to what I was doing.

I do wonder if after launch, the local voice chat might... actually be populated.

I never played immortal cause I'm just not a phone game person, for whatever reason. So I can't compare them. I will say it's a lot better than III. 

You guys weren’t kidding about Barbs at low level.  I’m only level 12.  Went into the Forbidden City and got my ass handed to me three times by the boss there before I got her.

Game is certainly gorgeous and definitely plays like Diablo.

Playing it on Steam Deck is a different experience.  I played a little of D3 on Switch just so I could play with my son, but not a lot.  So this is really my first time playing Diablo with a controller instead of K+M.  But I do have it downloaded on my home desktop as well… so we shall see how I do switching back and forth.

I lament the lack of a Pally type character.  That was always my goto in D2 and I first started a Monk in D3 until the Crusader was released.

Sort of assume a Sanctum Knight or some such will be available in an expansion.

1 hour ago, IlyaP said:

Immortal was a cheap knock off made by a partner company.

This is a full on Diablo game.

Obviously have not been far into the game, but the presence of other players have been unobtrusive to this point.  They are there; but might as well just be another NPC.

Most likely a total noob comment here, but I went to the vendor that you basically gamble Obols with. I bought 2 pants armor and the second one(after getting shit)had a Blizzard perk, and I see that they gave me the ability even know I didn’t have it. Thought that was a cool little thing. It’s a powerful ass ability too.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

You guys weren’t kidding about Barbs at low level.  I’m only level 12.  Went into the Forbidden City and got my ass handed to me three times by the boss there before I got her.

Ditch the barb. I made a druid and am having so much more fun. I'm at 18 after not playing for that long tonight and already ran over a few bosses my barb couldn't do anything against. My pets can do like 1.2k damage in a few seconds if I set them all off at once. That plus a few tornados kills the big baddies in seconds when my barb would take minutes to wear them down only to die with the boss at half life. 

2 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

Most likely a total noob comment here, but I went to the vendor that you basically gamble Obols with. I bought 2 pants armor and the second one(after getting shit)had a Blizzard perk, and I see that they gave me the ability even know I didn’t have it. Thought that was a cool little thing. It’s a powerful ass ability too.

All the games have random rolls on items. Some uniques (or now legendries) are fixed in the previous versions, but you get a lot of cool stuff that just doesn't work for you. That's why people get into grinding for the perfect item. Peep this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=d2+foh+stick+5+facets&rlz=1C1VDKB_enUS1050US1050&sxsrf=APwXEdcCzsydpjUF4iwbwwe7A18s_vqD9A%3A1685774264806&ei=uN96ZLHuMMukptQPx72H6AM&ved=0ahUKEwixqubBvqb_AhVLkokEHcfeAT0Q4dUDCBA&uact=5&oq=d2+foh+stick+5+facets&gs_lcp=Cgxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAQAzIICAAQiQUQogQyBQgAEKIEMgUIABCiBDoKCAAQRxDWBBCwAzoGCAAQFhAeOggIABCKBRCGAzoFCCEQoAE6BQghEKsCSgQIQRgAUKYLWNwoYK8raAFwAXgAgAGTDYgBuCGSAQ0yLjIuMS41LTMuOC0xmAEAoAEBwAEByAEE&sclient=gws-wiz-serp#imgrc=KZEb6GwB21aELM

It won't mean anything to you, but I spent months trying to get something like this and they would sell online for like $100. 

4 hours ago, RumHam said:

I never played immortal cause I'm just not a phone game person, for whatever reason. So I can't compare them. I will say it's a lot better than III. 

It *is* on the PC as well - and having tried both, I found the PC version was preferrable to the smart phone version. 

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

Obviously have not been far into the game, but the presence of other players have been unobtrusive to this point.  They are there; but might as well just be another NPC.

Which begs the question with the (in my words) "so-called" single-player experience: how to you prevent other players from interrupting it? 

I played for like 5 hours tonight and the only time I encountered other players was during an event out in the wild when we helped each other, or running by one another at the main hub/city. It’s been pretty much a single player experience for me thus far and that’s exactly what I want also.

5 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Which begs the question with the (in my words) "so-called" single-player experience: how to you prevent other players from interrupting it? 

Not sure what you mean? All dungeons are instanced. Strongholds are as well.