Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse - Why haven't you seen this yet?

Raja

Watched this on IMAX earlier today and holy shit was it excellent. I think it tops the first movie, personally. It's kind of a miracle we've had two movies which are of such high quality. This one, like the first also has an excellent soundtrack.

Spoiler

Loved the little flashback scenes with Tobey's spiderman too. There's just so much good stuff in this movie that I think I'm going to go have to watch it again soon!

One place where maybe it could have been better is perhaps it could lose the last 10-20 minutes at the end, but that's a nitpick

Edited by Raja

2 hours ago, Raja said:

One place where maybe it could have been better is perhaps it could lose the last 10-20 minutes at the end, but that's a nitpick

Cool, although the thread is a spoiler one, I'll spoiler some parts to spare the random clickers.

Why the last 10-20? I was the most engaged during that part, the build up was intense, so much that...

Spoiler

it was only nearing the very end that it dawned the movie was about to end as a cliff hanger.

I did feel the overall length could've been 30mins shorter - but I'll see if I feel the same after a second viewing.

So so many highlights but just a couple come to mind...

Spoiler

Mumbatton (sp?) of course.

Lego Peter (he's one of the best)

The Spot's motivation seem reminiscent of Syndrome's motivation from The Incredibles.

You're right, maybe we should have it be tagged with spoilers until more people have seen it

40 minutes ago, ithanos said:

Cool, although the thread is a spoiler one, I'll spoiler some parts to spare the random clickers.

Why the last 10-20? I was the most engaged during that part, the build up was intense, so much that...

Reveal hidden contents

it was only nearing the very end that it dawned the movie was about to end as a cliff hanger.

I did feel the overall length could've been 30mins shorter - but I'll see if I feel the same after a second viewing.

So so many highlights but just a couple come to mind...

Spoiler

I just felt like there were instances in that final 15-20 minutes that felt like they were the end of the movie - ie when Miles  realizes he's in another universe or when gwenn is sent back to hers etc. I think it's hard to know without seeing the third but I was honestly engaged throughout and loved the film

Looking at 3x the opening of the first film, and currently on 9.1 on imdb with 20000 reviews.

I'm in the minority of 1 on the first film (I hated the animation style, it gave me a headache) but I might give this one a go. 

6 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Looking at 3x the opening of the first film, and currently on 9.1 on imdb with 20000 reviews.

I'm in the minority of 1 on the first film (I hated the animation style, it gave me a headache) but I might give this one a go. 

What I will say is that if you found the first one to be too much, this movie probably goes a bit harder in that respect so you may not be fond of it either.

Anyone notice the product placement added in at the last minute, with Miles suddenly wearing a Knicks jersey, in the scene in which he and Gwen reunite? In the two original versions of that scene; one shown at the end of the first film and the second shown to us in a clip released a little over a year ago, Miles is simply wearing a white shirt. I wonder if the studio needed more money or something. Just a fun little detail I noticed.

Edited by sifth

I'm excited to see it Tuesday. I'm one of the last remaining 3D fanboys and the first one was one of the best 3D experiences I had. It felt like I was watching a moving, incredibly complex comic pop-up book. Along with Tin-Tin and Battle Angel: Alita it's one of the animated movies that I think is simply a better experience in front of a giant screen (real or VR). I know most people prefer the superior crispness of a flat presentation, but in my opinion, animated movies like this shine when the directors purposefully craft big action setpieces meant to be viewed in 3D.

I liked it a lot, the first 45 minutes and the last 30 in particular. My only major issue is I found some of the new Spider Men variants to be less interesting than the original films and in Spider Punks case, just annoying. I could hardly make out what Spider Punk was even saying half the time, lol

12 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

first one was one of the best 3D experiences I had.

Interesting. I'm one of those people that avoids 3D as much as I can because most of the movies are post conversions and not worth it. I watched it in IMAX and it was excellent, hopefully the 3D version of the movie is as good as the first one!

They managed to keep the look of the movie fresh even after the first film, which I think was quite the challenge. Still a bit enamoured by the track and how the movie starts

Great movie.  I didn't have a problem hearing the dialogue (aside from getting distracted by all the kids in the theatre talking/babbling/crying through the whole run time), but I went to a regular screen, no bloody  AVX, Imax or whatever.  I wonder if the complaint of not hearing it clearly might be exclusively from those theatres.

Looking like $120 million opening weekend domestically. 

10 hours ago, Raja said:

Interesting. I'm one of those people that avoids 3D as much as I can because most of the movies are post conversions and not worth it. I watched it in IMAX and it was excellent, hopefully the 3D version of the movie is as good as the first one!

They managed to keep the look of the movie fresh even after the first film, which I think was quite the challenge. Still a bit enamoured by the track and how the movie starts

I know many people that find the 3D effect nauseating or at the very least disconcerting. Others raise a very fair point that the image is literally half resolution due to the trickery involved with the overlapping images for each eye. Almost any non-animated "3D" film is dreadful unless it's specifically filmed with a 3D camera like the stuff you go to the Science center IMax to see. I really only enjoy the tech if it's animated movies, and specifically a small portion of them whose directors really wanted to use it to enrich the action, and not as an afterthought.

The Spideyverse films look absolutely terrific as a flat image; I simply think that the low-frames comic book effect worked particularly well to make the pop-up book vibe come to screen. I'll also be seeing it eventually both ways, and likely will prefer the 2D version on re-watches simply due to eye strain from the glasses.

1 hour ago, Argonath Diver said:

I know many people that find the 3D effect nauseating or at the very least disconcerting.

My biggest thing with 3D is the colours don't pop as much as they do in a normal 2D/ IMAX screening. But I have seen *some* really good 3D movies, Avatar way of water was the last one.

I'm not opposed to the medium but it's rare that it's done well, like you said.

Also, for what it's worth I watched it in IMAX and had no sound issues.

Really loving this track - it's what plays over the start credits and it's a banger. Think Pemberton did such a good job.

Edited by Raja

OK

1. The sound mix in the theater was really messed up. There’s were big boomy parts where you could literally feel the floor shake but there was a lot of dialogue that I had a problem hearing. “metaphor for capitalism” was one of them. I only got it after the woman next to me started chuckling but even she waited half a beat to do so, which suggests to me I wasn’t the only one having problems. That character’s voice was unintelligible like, 50% of the time.

2. To my shame, some of the people in my group were a bit too chatty during the film and were chuckling during one of the heavier scenes. These were my nieces. It’s like they forgot they weren’t watching a movie at home. There were others who also got a bit chatty and it was also annoying.

3. About half way through, a gang of idiots (possibly drunk) came into the theater to watch the film. They had obviously come out of some other screening and decided to sneak into this one. Except they didn’t sneak in. It’s like they were going out of their way to make as much noise as possible. Someone must have complained because they got booted after a few minutes. 

So maybe I need to rewatch before giving an opinion, but my feelings are a bit mixed. I loved the film. It started strong, ended really strong, and had a lot of really great stuff in between, but man is this film messy. It gets a bit clunky in the middle and the pacing is kind of weird at times. It could have easily lost about 20 minutes of runtime. Great antagonist.

I’m definitely going to see this again, but on balance I’d say I liked the first one better. 

Spoiler

I loved the Spider-Gwen prologue and holy crap that ending was devistating, -cough- BackToTheFuturePartTwo -cough-, but I think the dads party scene went on too long or could have been removed completely. 

ETA: the way it handles the multiverse concept and Miles’ place in it is brilliant.  It’s something that was subtly set up in the first film and I never would have seen it coming.

Also ETA: Shea Wingam as Capt. Stacy FTW.

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

On 6/4/2023 at 7:05 AM, sifth said:

I liked it a lot, the first 45 minutes and the last 30 in particular. My only major issue is I found some of the new Spider Men variants to be less interesting than the original films and in Spider Punks case, just annoying. I could hardly make out what Spider Punk was even saying half the time, lol

I couldn't understand anything Spider-Punk said.

Also, was I the only one uncomfortable with Spider-Woman swinging around while heavily pregnant?