Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse - Why haven't you seen this yet?

Raja

9 hours ago, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

I couldn't understand anything Spider-Punk said.

Glad I wasn’t the only one, although there were other lines I had trouble hearing. The soundtrack was definitely not optimized in my theater.

Also, was I the only one uncomfortable with Spider-Woman swinging around while heavily pregnant? 

I was more concerned with Spider-Toddler being strapped to Peter B Parker’s torso. That bit of knitting isn’t going to provide much protection. Get the kid a helmet for Pete’s sake.

But only in a cartoon could a pregnant woman ride a motorcycle with those ergonomics. 

On 6/3/2023 at 9:37 PM, sifth said:

Anyone notice the product placement added in at the last minute, with Miles suddenly wearing a Knicks jersey, in the scene in which he and Gwen reunite? In the two original versions of that scene; one shown at the end of the first film and the second shown to us in a clip released a little over a year ago, Miles is simply wearing a white shirt. I wonder if the studio needed more money or something. Just a fun little detail I noticed.

I watched the trailer that had this scene the other day, and if you see it they've actually changed a lot from the scene, Miles' movements & actions are all different than what was in the final film. No idea why though.

I agree with the directors here and it's obviously a deliberate choice regarding what is 'canon' and the way that plays into the film - especially the fans who state 'x or y' can only be a certain person or a certain type of person - Imo it's something that applies to discussions regarding characters like James Bond too

Per Nerdist, Joaquim Dos Santos, Kemp Powers and Justin Thompson addressed the negative sentiments surrounding the character and defended the opportunity for Miles to play Spider-Man in the Spider-Verse film series. All three men pushed back at the ideas of "canon, and rules and who gets to be [Spider-Man]" regarding who should play Spider-Man. Thompson further elaborated on the commentary, saying that while Spider-Man is for the fans, the character can be portrayed by people from various walks of life. "Spider-Man definitely is a character that is owned by the audience. But some of that audience takes it so seriously and is trying to enforce and restrict," he said.

I loved it.

There were some things that bothered me., I know it's animation but I was still uncomfortable with a pregnant woman and a guy with a toddler fighting.

But overall I love the characters and the animation, and both films had a lot of heart.

I didn't mind the abrupt ending, a trilogy is a trilogy.

8/10 for me.

On 6/11/2023 at 10:05 AM, Relic said:

Why are people uncomfortable with a preggers lady fighting and swinging, exactly? 

It wasn't too much of a big deal to me, but it slightly ruined immersion because of how profoundly stupid the action was (and this includes someone carrying a toddler while fighting too).

I mean, I know in this family oriented movie, the villain isn't going to kick a pregnant woman in the stomach and force a miscarriage, or crush the skull of a toddler...but it's clear plot armor that something like that doesn't happen, which is a bit distracting.

Still, I think that's a quibble. Excellent movie. I loved every bit of it.

On 6/10/2023 at 9:11 PM, SpaceChampion said:

Sony sent a new version of the movie to theatres to fix the sound issue.  Good excuse to see it again?

Hell yes. Nice to see the acknowledged it. 

10 days in theatres and it’s already surpassed the global box office of the original. This is nice to see since the original film didn’t get nearly enough love for audiences back in 2018.

Saw it earlier finally, after Covid put off my initial plans. 

Well good. More frantic than the first, but it mostly makes it work. Visually it's unreal. How they make it feel consistent despite changing art styles (and throwing them together) all the time is beyond me. 

Spoiler

It did suffer from too-many-endings syndrome, but I think that's a necessary sacrifice to get the next movie started smoothly- it needed to get all the pieces in place here, to avoid stuttering there. In particular, I don't know what they've got planned for ProwlerMiles but I suspect it'll sit better if we already know he's coming, rather than being introduced next time out.

The Spot's arc as a villain is very well played. 

Hobie rocked.

I wasn't bothered by Jessica Drew being pregnant, but she did seem to be pregnant for a long time, given how long Gwen is implied to be over in spider-world. 

Edited by polishgenius

13 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Hide contents

. In particular, I don't know what they've got planned for ProwlerMiles

Spoiler

My instinct for prowler miles is that spiderman miles turns him around to be a good guy, thereby solving the problem of no spiderman on earth 42, I think we're probably going to see a few emotional scenes with prowler miles, spiderman & his uncle

Also,

I keep watching the bootlegged intro of the movie on youtube all the time. So good.

Edited by Raja

Yeah, that is my feeling on that character too.

Spoiler

Possibly Spider-Miles saves Aaron, in keeping with what will presumably be a theme of 'you don't have to let relatives die' and that, rather than tragedy is what makes 42-Miles turn to Spideyism. 

9 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Yeah, that is my feeling on that character too.

Reveal hidden contents

Possibly Spider-Miles saves Aaron, in keeping with what will presumably be a theme of 'you don't have to let relatives die' and that, rather than tragedy is what makes 42-Miles turn to Spideyism. 

Some possibilities for Earth-42:

Spoiler

Earth-42 Miles turns Spider-Miles over to Earth-42 Kingpin.

E42 Miles tries to pull a Miguel O’Harra and replace Spider-Miles in his universe. That won’t go well. 

E42 Miles and/or Aaron will die in the canon event. 

Brilliant analysis. Spoilers for Across the Spider-Verse. Since this just premiered, youtube picked a random point in the video to be the cover image, so realize this is not just about Gwen or even about the plot of the movie, but about Spiderman as an archetypal character and the different story languages its employs so well.

Edited by SpaceChampion

Loved this movie. First before everything else.i have to join you all in praising the visuals - they're absolutely phenomenal. 

Spoiler

I especially loved the Gwen-verse with the shifting colours. 

Beyond that there's a loooooot to love and to unpack here but one theme that really hit me in this was generational trauma. There's a strong focus on parent-child (and mentor-mentee) relationships of course and the different struggles and stumbles made on both sides of the various ones shown for better and worse but more than that the central conflict of the film - and the villainy of Miguel and the many older spider-people who ally with him - is in insisting on perpetuating the suffering that they experienced on a younger generation.

If the film struggled anywhere it was in presenting so many new characters. I loved the anarchist punk Hobie who I feel is sure to be a breakout hit, but beyond him and Miguel the other characters who're introduced either aren't strong enough (Hobie isn't in it much but where he is he shines brightly) or just don't get any focus. Jess Drew whose name I had to look up kinda stands out as rather egregiously lacking... she was in a lot of the movie but I don't really know anything about her except that she's loyal to Miguel, rides a bike, and is pregnant. I also missed some of the original Spider-verse cast but I was glad to see at the end of the film that they'll be back for part 3. 

Still these quibbles aside this is certainly my favourite film of the year this far by a huge margin and I doubt it'll be beaten.