Theon Greyjoy will be Lord/King of the Iron Islands

I think Martin is setting up a scenario where Asha has the Kingsmoot reopened based on Theon's absence from the first one.  This would also require some buyer's remorse among the Ironborn regarding Euron.  So it's likely to be a while.

Possible candidates include Asha herself or possibly Roderick Harlaw.  I doubt Theon would be a serious candidate except as a figurehead.  He too wrecked, physically and mentally.  And I would be shocked if the Captain's Daughter shows up.  I think her purpose was to show us how Theon regards and treats women.  Very badly.

On 6/12/2023 at 3:28 AM, Lady Stonehearts Simp said:

. Reading into the history of the Iron Islands, we find that there was a King of the Iron Islands named Urrathon IV Goodbrother. During a Kingsmoot, he swayed the vote into his favor, over the previous King’s sons. Upon winning the throne, he had all of them killed. Save for one, who was not at the Kingsmoot to press his claim. He was raiding along the Mander when this happened. Urrathon was such a cruel and impious man that even the Drowned Men hated him. He was eventually overthrown and killed by the living brother once he returned.

Neither Theon nor Asha would survive a kingsmoot while Euron is still alive and kicking. Attending one would be madness, suicidal and I expect Euron to murder both, should he ever lay hands on them. So no, overturning the decision of the kingsmoot to return a new king as happened in Torgon Greyiron's time is not really an option. 

The kingsmoot is only one of several smoking guns surrounding Theon however:

- joining the Night's Watch as suggested to Theon by Maester Luwin shortly before Ramsay arrived with the Bolton army. Theon was actually warming to the idea.

- hearing Bran speak to him through the Winterfell weirwood

- Manderlys knowing the truth regarding Bran and Rickon

- The Liddles knowing the truth regarding Bran and Rickon

- The Captain's daughter who may have had Theon's child

- His archery skills

All things considered, should Theon manage to leave or escape Stannis' camp, the Night's Watch is logically the only place he can go. With the North currently believing he killed Bran and Rickon, there probably isn't a Northman who wouldn't murder him should he be caught and detained or attempt to seek anyone out. There's no surviving in the cold wilderness either. If Theon wants to live, it's got to be the NW where a man's crimes are wiped clean. It's possible that information from the Manderlys or Liddles vouching for his innocence regarding Bran and Rickon may soften the northerners up enough to at least let him go. There happens to be a Liddle in Stannis' camp and another who is a brother of the NW. These two are brothers, sons of the Liddle who is chief of the clan. 

Hearing Bran speak through the weirwood suggests he may become a means for Bran to communicate with others beyond the cave. With the NW in disarry after Jon's stabbing, Theon may be the perfect channel between the NW and the cave. His archery skills may be important too. He may not be able to handle a bow anymore but that doesn't prevent him from teaching those skills to brothers of the NW. We recall Bloodraven arrived at the Wall with 300 expert archers. 

The Captain's daughter who so badly wanted to become Theon's salt wife may end up being the saviour of the line of Greyjoys as well as future heir to Pyke. Again this is attested in the histories. In lieu of an heir sired through a rock wife, the illegitimate sons of salt wives can claim title, property and lands. In the case of Toron Greyjoy, bastard son of a salt wife of Dalton Greyjoy, Toron did sit the Seastone Chair. 

So there's lot's of potential for Theon beyond becoming King of the Iron Islands, if that title will still be available after the carnage left behind by Euron. 

On 6/12/2023 at 3:28 AM, Lady Stonehearts Simp said:

Finally, during the Kingsmoot, Aeron says to Euron “No godless man may sit the Seastone Chair.” Well, the name Theon is Greek in origin, for “theos”. It translate to “Hunter” OR “Godly

Well, it does mean Hunter or Godly. I would argue that like Robert Baratheon who loved both the hunt for game and "hunt for women," Theon was more hunter than he was godly. He may become "godly" through future dealings with Bran - the voice of through whom the Gods speak, if you like.

Edited by Evolett

Very nice analysis by Evolet. I will suggest a couple of alternative ideas.

Neither Theon nor Asha would survive a kingsmoot while Euron is still alive and kicking. Attending one would be madness, suicidal and I expect Euron to murder both, should he ever lay hands on them. So no, overturning the decision of the kingsmoot to return a new king as happened in Torgon Greyiron's time is not really an option. 

By Westerosi law and tradition, a king's sons are first in line to succeed him. So if a king's son is absent from a kingsmoot, is can be overturned. But does a king's brother enjoy the same protection? Perhaps not; the text doesn't go into a lot of detail. But it seems possible that a valid moot could be held with Theon and Asha present, but not Euron. In that case, a new king could be declared while Euron is thousands of miles away.

With the North currently believing he killed Bran and Rickon, there probably isn't a Northman who wouldn't murder him should he be caught and detained or attempt to seek anyone out.

As you pointed out, there are a couple of prominent Northmen who know the truth. So depending on how the story unfolds, it's possible that Theon might survive.