Trailer Thread: Reeling them in.

polishgenius

I don't know about Chalamet as Wonka at all. Very different performance from both Gene Wilder (the GOAT) and Johnny Depp (whose fey Wonka was fun in context), and his attempt at the famous "Strike that! Reverse it!" line feels... off. Then again, maybe it's all intentional for a prequel, showing a less self-assured and confident Wonka.

But Paul King directing, and Hugh Grant as an Oompa Loompa? Genius.

2 hours ago, Quijote Light said:

I won’t post it because it looks so shit, but the trailer for The Winter King is out there. 

I admit, I was very underwhelmed by it. Budget seems very tight, which doesn't necessarily matter if some actors or dialog leapt off the screen... but they don't, not in this trailer and not for me at least.

Edited by Ran

1 hour ago, Ran said:

I admit, I was very underwhelmed by it. Budget seems very tight, which doesn't necessarily matter if some actors or dialog leapt off the screen... but they don't, not in this trailer and not for me at least.

Yeah, this doesn't look good. Where is Derfel? Were Merlin and Nimue in the trailer? What's with the silly talk about putting the country back together? Which country was that?

I liked that Cromwell created a protagonist through which we could see his version of Arthur as the man that achieves legendary status. We don't need another story that follows Arthur directly.

6 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Where is Derfel? Were Merlin and Nimue in the trailer?

Derfel's played by Stuart campbell. Merlin is the fellow talking with Arthur on the beach, asking him to come home; he's played by Nathaniel Martello-White.

6 minutes ago, Ran said:

Derfel's played by Stuart campbell. Merlin is the fellow talking with Arthur on the beach, asking him to come home; he's played by Nathaniel Martello-White.

Oh, I had assumed that was Sagramor.

On 7/10/2023 at 6:12 AM, TheLastWolf said:

Ya'll almost forgot who my manh was

Incredible. I didn't even know a movie about Napoleon was being made much less one being made by Ridley Scott and starring Joaquin Phoenix. That trailer felt 30 years long. Wonder what the runtime will be. Surprisingly, I don't think I've ever seen a movie with Napoleon in it. And thinking back on other historical figures with incredulous lives, I don't think I've ever seen a movie with George Washington in it either -- as a matter of fact, I can't even name one. Makes me wonder why that is.

Edited by WarGalley

Wolf is set to be BBC One’s major new crime drama and it’s based on Mo Hayder’s bestselling Jack Caffery novels.

CastEdit

18 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Incredible. I didn't even know a movie about Napoleon was being made much less one being made by Ridley Scott and starring Joaquin Phoenix. That trailer felt 30 years long. Wonder what the runtime will be. Surprisingly, I don't think I've ever seen a movie with Napoleon in it.

Obviously you need to watch Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure. 

19 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Incredible. I didn't even know a movie about Napoleon was being made much less one being made by Ridley Scott and starring Joaquin Phoenix. That trailer felt 30 years long. Wonder what the runtime will be. Surprisingly, I don't think I've ever seen a movie with Napoleon in it. And thinking back on other historical figures with incredulous lives, I don't think I've ever seen a movie with George Washington in it either -- as a matter of fact, I can't even name one. Makes me wonder why that is.

Well with Washington I feel like its because he's generally so revered in the US that you can't really make a movie about him. He'd have to be portrayed as a flawless, perfect human; which is boring. And he's not really interesting enough for any other country to make a movie about him.

As for Napoleon, I think you've just missed them. Waterloo (1970) was a pretty massive movie with Rod Steiger as Napoleon and Ian Holm played him in Time Bandits (1981). There's movies of War and Peace where he shows up, and various other dramas from time to time. And he shows up comedies a fair bit too.

23 hours ago, Fez said:

Well with Washington I feel like its because he's generally so revered in the US that you can't really make a movie about him. He'd have to be portrayed as a flawless, perfect human; which is boring. And he's not really interesting enough for any other country to make a movie about him.

As for Napoleon, I think you've just missed them. Waterloo (1970) was a pretty massive movie with Rod Steiger as Napoleon and Ian Holm played him in Time Bandits (1981). There's movies of War and Peace where he shows up, and various other dramas from time to time. And he shows up comedies a fair bit too.

Not to mention the 1927 Napoleon biopic by Abel Gance, which is very important for film history, lasted 330 minutes and only depicts the first part of Napoleon's career (from his schoolboy days until the start of his Italian campaign). Compared to that, Ridly Scot's film is going to feel like a short film.