Trailer Thread: Reeling them in.

polishgenius

On 7/14/2023 at 3:40 PM, Fez said:

Well with Washington I feel like its because he's generally so revered in the US that you can't really make a movie about him.

The writers of the series, Turn, did a pretty good job portraying Washington, as someone who had the gift for holding things together, but was not a flawless human being on any level, except perhaps as a husband, and who is going to even want to argue with that or the documentation on which that is based?  Turn did so many remarkable things effectively, in a remarkably short amount of time.  The only time we really see Martha for instance, is at Valley Forge, and what we see is a politically canny woman who shares that with her husband, that they can work this together, and again, like her husband, has the qualities that make her easily likable to a variety of people, which goes so well with astute political maneuvering.  And though Turn's portrait of Benedict Arnold does show him in his most unpleasant historical lights, Turn also shows that perhaps Washington did, in fact, rather, if not entirely, kind of fuck him over.  Not easy content to handle well, without making the audience either hate or love one or the other, but they did it.

This Napoleon thing though, looks and sounds utterly dreadful, though the battle scenes ought to be good, coz Scott likes to do those.  The best portrait on screen of Napoleon I ever saw was Napoléon (2002), a television series, with John Malvovich playing the most brilliant and forever Tallyrand ever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoléon_(miniseries)

There have been others, European and / or French, and Russian, as in War and Peace.

Edited by Zorral

13 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

That's great news. I wonder how long I will have to wait for it to land on D+ here though, as we don't have Hulu.

There is actually a season 3 trailer that came out a week before, not sure why the short teaser came out later.

Never really been interested in the manga or anime, but this seems like silly fun. And expensive. I don't think fans should hold their breath for more seasons, the financial landscape has changed for a lot of the streamers and they aren't too likely to give something like this a second chance unless it does really big numbers (viewership and signs of it driving subscriptions).