Jump to content

Football: Windows of missed opportunities


Recommended Posts

if all the allegations are proven not only should they be stripped of everything they won, and relegated about 7 divisions, but they should have to compensate teams that were denied champions league places because of it, at least we are being subtle so far. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On an unrelated note. Picked up an old FM save. Usual game play.

Don't you hate it, when so called big clubs pester you for your young star players from your CL winning team. Asking price 90m for 23 y.o. model professional CF with the right attributes, means ~90m. Not 45m. Bloody Man United, you lost the final get over it. Your neighbours got the memo, and got their new speedy CF on a 250k p.w. salary. I got a somewhat angry fanbase (academy product). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Meanwhile back to something more resembling reality.

Liverpool's race against the clock.

They have until midnight CET to get that Szoboszlai deal over the line, that's when the 70m € release clause expires. Apparently Liverpool are trying to get it sorted.

 

And done.

So much for Liverpool notbeing able to buy this window.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

If that gets over the line it appears that Liverpool have spent 15 million less than Arsenal on Rice, and bought 2 better players. 

Szoboszlai is a bit of a gamble tho. As he has only really functioned under Rose. Maybe Klopp will be the second coach to make him work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Szoboszlai is a bit of a gamble tho. As he has only really functioned under Rose. Maybe Klopp will be the second coach to make him work.

 

Seems a bit harsh. He had a bit of a settling-in season in his first at Red Bull (but was still okay) and was wicked last season. Before that he was at Salzburg, where he was basically really good but in a league you were guessing. It's about the progression you'd want from a young player coming from a minor league, surely?


I mean, I think he's wicked. Him landing at Liverpool  is very irritating.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

 

Seems a bit harsh. He had a bit of a settling-in season in his first at Red Bull (but was still okay) and was wicked last season. Before that he was at Salzburg, where he was basically really good but in a league you were guessing. It's about the progression you'd want from a young player coming from a minor league, surely?


I mean, I think he's wicked. Him landing at Liverpool  is very irritating.

Remind me, who was his coach at Salzburg?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I mean, that's fair, but the point is claiming a player is a risk because, age 20, he had one season where he was making a huge step up in the quality of the league while also recovering from six months out with a serious injury (and still got some good stats in and played decently, he just wasn't the star of the team and was clearly learning the ropes while the manager kept changing) is... not.  

 

I mean, any change in league is a gamble but you made it sound like Szoboszlai has had a series of failures. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Counter argument is, Liverpool just spent 70m € on a player with 1 1/2 good seasons in a top four league. 

Austrian league as you pointed out, is not that revealing in terms of overall quality. And there he happened to be coached by the very coach that also got him working out in Leipzig. Redbull farm team is just plowing through that league.

:dunno:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

If that gets over the line it appears that Liverpool have spent 15 million less than Arsenal on Rice, and bought 2 better players. 

That would be really good for them if it turns out to be true. I guess we shall see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What's happened to Costa Rica's team?  They used to be the 3rd best team in CONCACAF.  Now, in the group stage at the Gold Cup, they are in 4th place, and the 2nd place team, Martinique, is not even recognized by FIFA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's true there's no likeness between those guys and Rice, but to be fair if Havertz is being bought for the 8 role Mac Allister is directly proven in that position and if he's being bought as a creative forward Szoboszlai is that dude. Although in that respect Szoboszlai hasn't been a false 9 that I know of so Havertz has that advantage, and there at least they're not saving on price. 

 

9 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Counter argument is, Liverpool just spent 70m € on a player with 1 1/2 good seasons in a top four league. 

 

Yeah, coz he's 22 and didn't have the benefit of starting in a top four league already. Obviously there's always some level of risk in a young player jumping leagues- see Sancho, Havertz himself- but really no more than any player they could have got in his general style, except maybe a Maddison or Eze who are in the league already but they have other caveats. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Raja said:

macalister, rice & Szoboszlai are such different players though. dunno how people are comparing them to each other

Mac Allister and Rice aren't exactly alike but they aren't that dissimilar either. They're both flexible enough to play in different roles across midfield. Liverpool are probably going to play Mac Allister mostly as an 8 in the box midfield but he can, and did quite frequently for Brighton, play the deeper role. You'd think Arsenal plan to play Rice as the defensive midfielder but if City had bought him I'd expect he was going to be a Gundogan replacement and occasionally cover for Rodri. I wouldn't necessarily say they should have but Arsenal definitely could have gone for Mac Allister instead of Rice.

I think the question mark for Arsenal is how much cheaper than £100 million they could have gotten Caicedo for.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Mac Allister and Rice aren't exactly alike but they aren't that dissimilar either. They're both flexible enough to play in different roles across midfield. Liverpool are probably going to play Mac Allister mostly as an 8 in the box midfield but he can, and did quite frequently for Brighton, play the deeper role. You'd think Arsenal plan to play Rice as the defensive midfielder but if City had bought him I'd expect he was going to be a Gundogan replacement and occasionally cover for Rodri. I wouldn't necessarily say they should have but Arsenal definitely could have gone for Mac Allister instead of Rice.

I think the question mark for Arsenal is how much cheaper than £100 million they could have gotten Caicedo for.

Mac Allister can't do what Rice can. They're just not the same players. Rice was bought because he:

  • Intercepts passes at the highest rate of anyone in his position which is super important in Arteta's compact pressing scheme
  • Successfully completes the most long passes in his position, constantly switching play after intercepting, which is critical for quickly turning defense to attack with Martinelli/Saka isolated out wide
  • One of the best in his position at taking on players and driving forward - critical for breaking press or after intercepting, breaking lines before distributing
  • Is a leader on the pitch which we lose with Xhaka leaving

This is just not Mac Allister. I like Mac Allister and I get the point of comparing him with Havertz given we bought him as an 8, but not to Rice. For what Arsenal was looking for, think the only option in the PL was Caicedo (which I would have loved) but I think Arteta views the English leadership as a very strong need.

If City bought Rice as an 8, think it's entirely possible he could play there, similar to Xhaka, but think he's better used as an engine behind. Think it's funny City bid 90m, Bayern wanted in for Rice and yet we're arguing that Arsenal could have bought a better player in Mac Allister for half the price for a different position than they bought Rice for.

ETA: What I will say is that teams are reloading with some exciting talent and next year will be super competitive. Looking forward to it.

Edited by Mexal
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...