Football: Windows of missed opportunities

9 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

USMNT shouldn't be in this situation.

Matt Turner saves them again.

Freedumb won baby! 

23 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Around 40m€ fee. No one else was giving Lazio that for SMS with one year left on his contract, but now there are the Saudis.

If he wanted to still compete in Europe rather than take the money in Saudi Arabia then I think he'd have had plenty of clubs looking to sign him. A €40m transfer fee would be well worth it for SMS even in the last year of his contract. He's only 28 and still a quality player who would improve the midfield of most clubs. Nobody other than the Saudi clubs were going to pay him anywhere near €20m/year net though.

Gonna be interesting, what happens next.

I reiterate what I said before, I think this second bid was around the max they're willing to pay. Now it's time for Bayern to prove me wrong.

8 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

PL Clubs market value vs purchase value stats:

Newcastle must have been horrendous for spending money badly previously, because everyone we have bought recently is worth waaaaaaay more than we spent.  Bruno alone must be worth the 45 million euros extra we are currently over. 

Where we do struggle, is nobody worth any real money came through the ranks for nothing, like Arsenal have with Saka. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

Moshiri kept Kenwright on the board because of "his connetctions".

We have signed ... nobody. Currently linked to 38 years old Young.

Why, exactly, do rich people believe they're smart? 

(Yes, yes, know that they think success in one field - earned or not - suggest they're brilliant across the board. But still, sometimes they're so painfully moronic even an actual idiot would notice.)

2 hours ago, kairparavel said:

Very CONCACAF-Y last night. Ugh. 

lol. I took a nap yesterday and woke up with the regular game time nearly done. But I had pre-recorded it so wasn't that annoyed. By the end I decided that I should have just watched the remainder of the live transmission. 

13 hours ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

We have signed ... nobody. Currently linked to 38 years old

Seems like you're getting Gnonto, which would be a good signing, imo.

4 hours ago, Raja said:

Seems like you're getting Gnonto, which would be a good signing, imo.

If that one goes through, it would be nice. May or may not work out, but a correct kind of player given age and technique (if you ask me). 

Still need (desperately) a striker.

38 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

That'd be around 20m a year. Performance bonuses included?

Madness or desperation?

It's desperation. Kane has been very loyal to Spurs but I'd be very surprised if he renews after Levy stabbed him in the back by reneging on a verbal agreement. I don't see Kane downing tools if he doesn't get a move though.

Bayern have most likely offered Kane just as much. After all, they are paying Mane almost as much (€22 million/year reportedly) and he could yet leave to one of the Saudi clubs. Bayern also have a very healthy wage/revenue ratio of 53% so they have plenty of room to manoeuvre on wages especially given that clubs of Bayern's stature all have wage/revenue ratios around 65% or more. So wages aren't going to be the stumbling block but the transfer fee will be.

Do Spurs actually have a wage structure? I can imagine someone like Richarlison banging on Levy’s door and asking why he’s not getting paid as much as Kane. Of course Levy can just look at Richarlison’s goal record and tell him leave the room before he dies laughing. 

Either way i always wonder what effect these massive pay packets have on overall wage inflation. 

Spurs' wage/revenue ratio is very healthy so they do have room to offer Kane a massive contract. 

Levy has done a good job at managing Spurs' wage bill. Over the last 5-6 years their wage/revenue ratio has been as low as 39% and got as high as 56% a couple of years ago and is currently at 47%.

Edited by Consigliere