Football: Windows of missed opportunities

28 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Not the first good team to win nothing, not the last one.

That Dutch team around Cruyff won nothing. The English team around Lineker won nothing (and neither did any of their successors). The Italian team around P. Maldini and Roberto Baggio won nothing. Belgium's golden generation will probably leave the stage empty handed. 

For Croatia it's now the second generation of a great team, that will win nothing. The guys around Suker, Boban, Prosinecki and Jarni also won nothing.

The first good Croatia team stands out a bit in this comparasion, I feel, since they were great as a team, but mostly merely good as club players.

Also, you have to mention Asanovic there, by law. He was highly underrated, working beside Boban and Prosinecki. And how good would they have been if Boksic had been uninjured?

2 hours ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

The first good Croatia team stands out a bit in this comparasion, I feel, since they were great as a team, but mostly merely good as club players.

Also, you have to mention Asanovic there, by law. He was highly underrated, working beside Boban and Prosinecki. And how good would they have been if Boksic had been uninjured?

"First good Croatia team", as you call it, was filled with players that came through the system during Yugoslavia. Many of them won the U23 World Cup (along with players from other ex-Yugoslavian countries) and were playing in a pretty good league as youngsters. A lot of them also played for  Yugoslavia national team that was knocked out on penalties by Maradona's Argentina in Italy World Cup. There were a lot of great players in that group. I mean, Yugoslavia (smaller one, just Serbia and Montenegro) had similar level of player quality (maybe even better) in France '98, but Croatian team stood out on winning mentality (always a problem with "smaller" Yugoslavia, Serbia and Montenegro and Serbia national teams) and their coach was a master motivator.

Croatia hasn't had that kind of system or league for decades now, being basically a one horse race ever since Croatia declared independence, and that's why their success with the current generation is much more impressive.

Edited by baxus

4 hours ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

Talentwise their 96-98s team was superior to this incarnation.

Suker was a proven and legit goal scoring threat in La Liga, pardon Primera Division, he was World Class at the time. First at Sevilla, then at Real. Boban was the one pulling the strings in that Milan team. Prosinecki was way more talented than the rest of that group, but lacked professionalism and was chain smoking his way through his pro career. He could've been something special as a player. Jarni was a top 10 left back. Those were just the players I could remember without spending too much thought on it. The support cast was not that bad either. Bilic was a very good CB for Karlsruhe in the Bundesliga and they were a pretty good team (Kahn, Scholl and Bilic) in the early to mid 1990s (they made it into the UEFA cup semi-final one year), Stimac was also solid. Not World Class, but good enough to hold their own against most forwards. Soldo was a very good DM for Stuttgart (I think he might have even captained them). Also not a WC player, but solid enough.

They had a very solid core with some legit high end talent. 

Just now, BigFatCoward said:

Bournemouth have sacked O'Neill, something must have happened behind the scenes, otherwise that is madness. 

They’ve got a new owner who I guess is looking to take them in a ‘new direction’. Meaning less long ball stuff.

I give it 8 months after firing new continental unheard of, up and coming manager before they rush back and bring in Big Sam. 

33 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Bournemouth have sacked O'Neill, something must have happened behind the scenes, otherwise that is madness. 

Yeah, I just don't get that. 

I remember when we played them at home, and just before kick-off, he put four players to the left of the centre-circle. I turned to my brother and said, 'What's he up to, eh?'.

They kicked off, those four players dispersed, three of them ran up the pitch, and one of them scored.

He's a good coach, who did well this season. 

Edited by Spockydog

3 hours ago, The Sunland Lord said:

I keep warning you guys, they're going to buy everything. Within five years they'll own a team in every major sport here in the US. No individual or group can compete with them. They could buy any team in any sport for five times what they're worth and not bat an eye. 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

They’ve got a new owner who I guess is looking to take them in a ‘new direction’. Meaning less long ball stuff.

I give it 8 months after firing new continental unheard of, up and coming manager before they rush back and bring in Big Sam. 

New manager is ex Rayo coach Andoni Iraola, so far so predictable. 

Heh, I very rarely look at Facebook but I just had a quick look at it and a guy I used to play rugby with came up. He’s been working for various NWSL teams in the US over the last few years so I was wondering what he’s been doing with himself recently. Apparently he’s working for Inter Miami now. So he’s going to be working with Lionel Messi by the look of it. 

Worth considering re: O'neil - I think it's unlucky he's lost the job, but sometimes clubs have a vision that goes further than someone that is currently  in charge

Nigel Adkins getting sacked and being replaced by Poch & Chris Houghton getting the sack at Brighton are both recent examples.

Why was that PK retaken in France-Greece? That looked like what a lot of goalies do and on the broadcast they're saying it could have been a red card without really explaining it. 

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Why was that PK retaken in France-Greece? That looked like what a lot of goalies do and on the broadcast they're saying it could have been a red card without really explaining it. 

I thought they were saying the red card should have gone to the guy that kicked Griezman in the head.  The kick was retaken because the player from Greece entered the penalty area before the kick was taken and was the first person to touch the ball after the goalie saved it.  It was soccer's version of encroachment.