Home Decor

LongRider

I just have to disagree with @Madame deVenoge. As awful as the tacky 80's shit was the all white look is equally bad. For me it screams sociopath and also must be unpleasant to clean. Either way I'm not sure why these extremes have ever been popular. Just have a normal looking place. 

Also, unrelated, never paint your house yellow. My step-dad did that maybe 20 years ago or so and my step-bro and I said it was a horrible idea because it looked like piss. Sure enough, everyone else thought so as well. He had to repaint the place before he sold it. 

7 minutes ago, Madame deVenoge said:

It’s more of a construction thing, but I once accidentally designed a kitchen remodel with no drawers. To be fair, there was only 5 linear feet of counter space. 

No drawers?  I would have to admire the clean lines of your design.

I have very little style sense and even less decorating sense.   If a room of isn’t cluttered, that’s good enough for me. 

11 minutes ago, Madame deVenoge said:

It’s more of a construction thing, but I once accidentally designed a kitchen remodel with no drawers. To be fair, there was only 5 linear feet of counter space. 

I know you don't cook, but how? This sounds like getting Poison Ivy on your butthole. Just how? At least getting sand on your ass from sex on the beach makes sense...

Money spent on my garden fills me with joy. Money spent on my house, meh. 

We did build a new TV wall recently which I like but it took ages. Man builds unit, Week later another man plasters, Week later another man paints, Week later oak beam goes up. All the time my big fucking tv up sat on a box getting sticky little shitbag fingerprints on it. 

I do dream about getting my loft converted into a huge bedroom bathroom, dressing room suite it would be about 60 sq metres. But 4th floor loft conversions have mega different rules due to fire regs so it could be prohibitively expensive. And fuck the inconvenience. 

20 minutes ago, Madame deVenoge said:

It was a 1,500 square foot house, so I didn’t have a lot to work with.

Fair, but still. You know I'm the type that isn't too picky when it comes to this stuff and assuming I'm buying a house with a partner I'd let her wants largely govern what we'd pick, but I need a better kitchen than that.  Really all I need is that, a space for a home gym setup and if possible a backyard. If not at least a place to do some gardening.  

Or if you can't tell, a few spaces to take my mind off of things while being productive. 

The people from whom we bought our apartment had upholstered the walls in the stairwells (noise reduction).  We kept it because it was pretty expensive to remove.  Well, we are having to remove it because our youngest cat decided it was a great climbing surface...

Just finished installing a walk-in closet (in addition to the client's other master bedroom closet, which is not walk-in) approximately twice the square footage of my house's kitchen.:blink: Eighteen drawers, eight pull-out wire baskets, two pull-out hampers, and four pull-down closet rods (9'-4" ceilings). Home expectations are different today.

22 minutes ago, timmett said:

Just finished installing a walk-in closet (in addition to the client's other master bedroom closet, which is not walk-in) approximately twice the square footage of my house's kitchen.:blink: Eighteen drawers, eight pull-out wire baskets, two pull-out hampers, and four pull-down closet rods (9'-4" ceilings). Home expectations are different today.

I have 3 pairs of jeans and about 70 t-shirts. A walk in closet is a dream but what a pointless exercise for me. My wife has literally 90% of our wardrobe space. 

19 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I have 3 pairs of jeans and about 70 t-shirts. A walk in closet is a dream but what a pointless exercise for me. My wife has literally 90% of our wardrobe space. 

70?!?!?!?!?!?

The worst recent trend in home decor in the US has been the white on off white / whites and light grays as the only interior colors.  What the fuck.  I thought it was bad five years ago when it was quite the trend and it's only accelerated.  Who are these goons who are wiping all other colors from the home?   It's some horrible perversion of that awful Sherwin Williams logo.  

Edited by Larry of the Lake

58 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

The worst recent trend in home decor in the US has been the white on off white / whites and light grays as the only interior colors.  What the fuck.  I thought it was bad five years ago when it was quite the trend and it's only accelerated.  Who are these goons who are wiping all other colors from the home?   It's some horrible perversion of that awful Sherwin Williams logo.  

Nuetral colors, you can paint right over them. 

4 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Nuetral colors, you can paint right over them. 

For sure, but it's not like it's just for houses going on the market, people are actively choosing to live like this.  And that's cool if those are the colors you like.  I just think it's weird that the washed out, colorless muted look has dominated for so long.  I'm wondering when this trend is going to break.

Edited by Larry of the Lake

16 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

For sure, but it's not like it's just for houses going on the market, people are actively choosing to live like this.  And that's cool if those are the colors you like.  I just think it's weird that the washed out, colorless muted look has dominated for so long.  I'm wondering when this trend is going to break.

And this is the question that inspired the thread. The two contrasting styles are both awful.

I wish I could live in something that felt like a nice cabin that was also only 20-30 minutes away from the city.