Home Decor

LongRider

Yellow always looks filthy. Ya wouldn't think so: it's dirt colored, so it should hide dirt -- right? Nope.:ack:  Off white is infinitely better.

I will be glad when the HGTV kitchen trend (aka 'the Nancy Meyers':rolleyes:) plays out, if only b/c spraying pigmented lacquer is miserable in every way (at least for a small shop). Also, I like wood and hate painting. The final product can be pleasing to look at ... for a few years.  Most pigmented coatings are some kind of acrylic co-polymer, which is not ideal for the hard life of kitchen cabinets.

Unfortunately, it seems like oak is making a comeback. Oak with dark pigmented stain. And saw marks left on. Blech.

Our house is 6 years old so came with those neutral colors but they suit our modern interior architecture and design style, and you hardly notice the walls because the big windows dominate with a lot of vibrant green outside, and the ground floor is a huge open plan with very little interior wall anyway.  We may repaint soon with something more interesting but would still be cool-toned and the overall visual effect wouldn’t change all that much.

We still need to find more wall art for this big house.  Any good recommendations?  I’ve browsed a lot online to expand the potential pool compared to physically visiting galleries but that’s also not a great format for selecting art that you’ll live with every day.  My wife prefers abstract art, btw.

7 minutes ago, Madame deVenoge said:

I am sadly not the person who can give opinions on art, as I literally have three things hanging on my walls, and one of those is a glass “whiteboard” and another a TV. The third thing is a print that I bought and had expensively framed, and an ex boyfriend got frustrated at my inability to decide where to hang it, so he just came over one day and surprised me by hanging it :rofl:

So, this is a 3,500 square foot house with three things on the walls.

Tell me you’re an accountant without telling me that you’re an accountant…:)

19 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Hot Take: There's nothing wrong with a whole lot of IKEA furniture...

Actually one very soothing thing I seek out on insta is IKEA hacks.  People have done GORGEOUS things with the base of IKEA furniture.  I don't have the talent, personally, but I love watching what people can do.

16 hours ago, LongRider said:

I'm tellin' ya, those piss yellow walls have got to go!!    :excl:

:lol:

it's actually a known thing that yellow paint tends to age poorly and become more yellow over time.  All of our walls are white, and it is for that reason that the whites I have chosen have a cool, rather than warm, undertone.  As Chataya can tell you, we have tons of color - just not from paint colors.  More from art.

Also, the reason we took down the upholstery is in part that the once tiny kitten is now an ENORMOUS cat and we are afraid he will hurt himself....we have 14 foot ceilings which makes climbing the walls of the stairwell quite hazardous.

4 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Our house is 6 years old so came with those neutral colors but they suit our modern interior architecture and design style, and you hardly notice the walls because the big windows dominate with a lot of vibrant green outside, and the ground floor is a huge open plan with very little interior wall anyway.  We may repaint soon with something more interesting but would still be cool-toned and the overall visual effect wouldn’t change all that much.

We still need to find more wall art for this big house.  Any good recommendations?  I’ve browsed a lot online to expand the potential pool compared to physically visiting galleries but that’s also not a great format for selecting art that you’ll live with every day.  My wife prefers abstract art, btw.

Take a look at Uprise Art.  They have really interesting stuff.  We have gotten a few pieces through them.

There are a few excellent artists with board connections.  We own some of their work too.  I am happy to share details in PM if you would like.

Also, look at Rachel White.  There are some really interesting galleries in Tarrytown, Katonah and Ridgefield if you are ok with physically visiting places locally.

Edited by Mlle. Zabzie

What I like for color is house plants.  Fortunately, I do seem to have a bit of knack for the easier ones, which is good as many have dark green leaves which I like.  Plus, well taken care of plants can live a long time.  Once one finds the balance between over watering and not enough water, the rest is easy.   When I moved to California from Nevada, my one bedroom apartment was home to 19 house plants.   Some of them pretty big too!  (the snake plants)  California has strict laws for importing plants so I only had 3 left which were hidden in the truck when I crossed the border.    :ph34r:

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

They have pictures on them. Just some of them are black, and the rest white.

Okay, it sounded like they were just generic black and white shirts. But why so many? 

3 minutes ago, Madame deVenoge said:

Why not??

I have 10 black t-shirts that only go over my face, while I sleep.

Modern pajamas. :P

But on my end, I probably have 30-40 shits between workout shirts, more expensive fun t-shirts, dress shirts and polos. And that's probably too much. 

Back on topic, Home Goods (certain ones in particular) is a great source for all sorts of higher end, well, home goods, at reasonable prices. I’ve picked up everything from tableware to furniture there. They have particularly good pillows, lighting and Knick knacks. One thing I have definitely done is gotten furniture at home goods on the crazy cheap and then had it reupholstered so that it looks custom at a fraction of the price. Also Etsy has amazing custom alternatives from real artisans if you are focused on getting things that will look unique and not all bought at once from RH/Arhaus/PB/CB wherever. 

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I just went and counted. It was only 61. Is that OK? 

Idk where you put it all. Because now I'm assuming you probably have over 50 boxers and god knows how many socks. :P

Just for example though, I have 11 pairs of shoes. Four dress, three fashionable, one for working out, one for yard work, cleats and my golf kicks. That might seem like a lot to some, but they don't really take up much space. When I meet someone who says they have over 50 pairs I'm always curious to see how they store them. One friend makes his money buying and selling high end shoes and the last time I was at his place he had several hundred pairs everywhere cause there was no where else to put them. Getting back to home décor, he really needs a shoe room. And it sounds like you need a walk-in closet. 

Buy used furniture. Its the last place where Craigslist is still useful.  If you are paying more than 10% of store value, you are overpaying.  My friends, when seeing my child (then) age 3 with a queen sized Temper Pedic Breeze mattress, commented on how spoiled she was... until they knew it cost a fraction of their crappy twin bed they bought for their kid at XYZ furniture store.  It also allows you to be a lot more sanguine when you adopt a couple of terrorist-kittens who go to town on what would have otherwise been tens of thousands of dollars worth of high quality chairs and coaches.

15 hours ago, horangi said:

Buy used furniture. Its the last place where Craigslist is still useful.  If you are paying more than 10% of store value, you are overpaying.  My friends, when seeing my child (then) age 3 with a queen sized Temper Pedic Breeze mattress, commented on how spoiled she was... until they knew it cost a fraction of their crappy twin bed they bought for their kid at XYZ furniture store.  It also allows you to be a lot more sanguine when you adopt a couple of terrorist-kittens who go to town on what would have otherwise been tens of thousands of dollars worth of high quality chairs and coaches.

This is a good point.  Consignment shops and estate sales are a great place to get really quality stuff for a fraction of the price (including art, tchotchkes, rugs, etc.).  I personally would never buy a used mattress or bed frame though (unless it is metal).  We had bedbugs once.  The idea of bedbugs still gives me panic attacks 15 years later.  The used things we have bought we have carefully checked.  But we have some amazing furniture, rugs, and art that we got that way. And you can always reupholster if you don’t like how something is covered or refinish if you don’t like the stain/paint.

I miss craigslist. Just not a thing over here in the UK and I guess FB marketplace is the closest thing.

I lived in a college town whilst I was in the US and there were *so* many steals at the end of term ( also legit full living rooms left out on the curb come august)

I've gotten amazing things from craiglist, less so FB marketplace, also flea markets.  Gorgeous vintage solid wood pieces, original art, china sets,  you name it.

As a contrast to you minimalists with nothing on the walls.... my bathroom has 3 prints, 1 painting, 1 large mirror, 1 homeade shadow box full of shells, and a concrete green man thing.  #maximalist  

Edited by Cas Stark

8 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I personally would never buy a used mattress or bed frame though (unless it is metal).  We had bedbugs once. 

I would avoid buying a traditional mattress for exactly those reasons. However, the latex 'temper-whatever' mattresses don't have that issue since there isnt any place for the bugs to live.