Rank your 2023 shows throughout the year

Annara Snow

I'm shocked to realize over half a year has passed and no one has made this thread for this year.

Guidelines (taken from the Rank Your 2020 Shows thread:

• Rank the seasons of shows that are released this year.
  • You may expand your list to older seasons/entire shows if you feel like it, or you can have two separate lists (I prefer to put them all on the same list, but not number them and put them in square brackets. This way you can see how all the shows I've watched match against each other.)
  • I you missed out on a show that aired late last year, and you sneak it in with shows from this year, that's fine. Or go back to the 2022 thread.
  • Rank however you wish: numbers 1-infinity, quality grades (great, mediocre, bad, clusterfuck)
  • Simply list the shows, or talk a bit about them.

(Who cares about the rules anyway, let's just talk about shows and rank them however you want)

My list so far - shows from 2023 and I'm including 2022 shows and that I only got to see or finish in 2023 - in square brackets. 1-3 are fantastic, 4-5 is excellent, 6-11 are either solid or I have mixed feelings. Non of these were bad.

1. Succession season 4 - amazing, incredible, one of the best final seasons ever and definitely puts the show into the pantheon of the greatest shows ever and makes the show incredibly rewatchable.
  2. Barry season 4 - similarly, incredible ending to one of the great shows of out time.
  3. [Andor season 1 (2022)] - the best thing Star Wars has produced at least since The Empire Strikes Back? A great political thriller.
  4. [What We Do in the Shadows season 4 (2022)] - another great season from one of the best current comedies
  5. In Limbo season 1  - Australian comedy drama about friendship, family and depression. Funny and heartfelt. Really good.
  6. Yellowjackets season 2 - I was never sure if this show can be called good, but it is definitely original, exciting, and batsh1t insane, and you just have to love and respect that.
  7. Schmigadoon season 2 - I liked season 2 (Schmicago) even better than season 1. Another fun and witty parody-homage to the musicals, this time the darker musicals of the 1960s and later. 
  8. [Screw season 1 (2022)] - very solid UK prison drama
  9. The Last of Us season 1 - the show is certainly very well done, and objectively I should probably place it higher. But while I loved the two flashback episodes and other flashbacks to the start of the pandemic, overall my level of enjoyment was quite low. I might be burned out on this format and premise after The Walking Dead (even though this is miles better that TWD).
  10. Ted Lasso season 3 - there was some great stuff in the final season (Jamie's arc). There was also some very questionably (Nate's arc) and badly written stuff (everything with Keeley, Roy's non-development). Very mixed final season. 
  11. [MoonKnight season 1 (2022] - I'm pretty tired of the Disney Marvel shows, but this one was much more interesting than most of them and was worth watching. Still not enough to put it above almost anything else I've seen this year.

Older shows:

1. Breaking Bad (2008-2013) - finished my binge and I can see why this is considered one of the best shows of all time. The last few episodes were particularly great.
  2. Harlots season 1 (2017) - this R rated period drama focusing on the experience of sex workers in the 18th century London and centering female characters and complicated relationships between them must be one of the most underrated dramas of this century. At least based on season 1, I have two more to go. For fans of shows like Black Sails.
  3. GLOW seasons 1-2 (2017-2018) - funny, entertaining, smart, great comedy-drama set in the 1980s. I have one more season to go and I'm already fearing the non-ending since I know the show was cancelled by Netflix after 3 seasons (surprise, surprise)
  4. Derry Girls season 1-2 (2018-2019) - cute and fun comedy, though it may not quite be up to the high expectations I had based on everyone raving about it.
  5. Misfits season 1 (2009) - I had a big problem with one storyline. Otherwise, unique premise, fun show, and I'll be watching further, but it's not a favorite of mine.
  6. Downton Abbey season 1 (2010) - I liked a lot about this, but it also has some overly melodramatic plot points and OTT villains, and also kinda feels like propaganda for upholding the English class system.
  7. Castlevania season 1 (2017) - the only show on either list I really didn't like. I expected something a bit more self-aware and funnier, but this weirdly takes itself way too seriously for such a silly premise. And by silly premise, I don't mean vampires and demons, I mean things like Romanians having English names and apparently being Catholic, and the whole OTT "Church evil" thing that's been done to death.

True, there hasn't been a thread this year.

Overall so far a very good year for TV, bad year for movies. That trend seems to be continuing.

The great:
(Unfortunately haven't been able to watch S3 of The Great yet, but maybe by end of year that will be here)

Succession S4 - A fitting ending with a brave move early on. The whole season seemed to happen over a very short period of time but it felt action packed. I think ending at this point is a good decision, I was scared the show was running out of steam by the end of S3 and was just going over old ground. That it realised that and wrapped up so perfectly is a sign of how great this show is.

Barry - Criminally not discussed enough outside of here, this show is fucking great. Its funny, it's tragic, it does weird shit, it does character shit. No Ho Hank is one of the best tv characters of all time.

Fleishman is in Trouble - Jesse Eisenberg in the other role I've ever liked him in. A show that makes you think is a mystery isn't really, its a story about divorce and relationship breakdown and I really loved it.

Colin from Accounts - Recency bias but I liked everything about this Aussie rom com. I liked the dog.

Beef - A real gem about 2 very messed up people who try to wreck each others lives. 

the Ok

Poker Face - It's Rhian Johnson and Natasha Lyonne so I was dubious I would like it, but she wasn't as tough to watch as she normally is and it sort of suited the show. It was pleasant weekly episodic mystery throwback kinda show that was a fun watch

The Last of Us - Not sure whether to put this in decent or not. I do think its a reasonably ok show, but I'm so done with zombie apocalypses and Bella Ramsey took obnoxious to new levels and I basically couldn't finish it. 

You Season something - Yeah this show keeps going and it was much more enjoyable than it should be, its trash really but stays watchable. 

Ted Lasso - Real love hate for this show. Its endearing at its best, insufferable at its worst.. which is quite often. 

Just bad

Mandalorian S3 - Make it stop
Listening - More tripe from the Ted Lasso guys
Yellowjackets S2 - I'm being harsh but by the end of the season I was pretty irritated by how far this show has fallen

Edited by Heartofice

Thanks for making the thread. This is what I got so far:

1. Superman & Lois season 3 - I am surprised by how much I liked this season, especially coming after a weaker season 2.
  2. The Legend of Vox Machina season 2 - similar feeling like the above.
  3. The Last of Us - a well done show, well acted, but I would get tired of it quickly if it went on and on like The Walking Dead did; thankfully it won't.
  4. Mrs. Davis - this was a bonkers of a show, but in a good way.
  5. Ted Lasso season 3 - weaker than the previous seasons, sure, but I found plenty of good in it; it also ended quite well. (me binging the previous two seasons ahead of it improves my opinion of the show)
  6. Carnival Row season 2 - a fairly solid ending to a show that may have offered more if not for Covid. 
  7. The Bad Batch season 2 - it had its ups and downs, strong finale.
  8. The Rig (season 1?) - interesting first half, weaker second half, bold cliffhanger.
  9. Star Trek: Picard season 3 - a little better than its other seasons, but still with plenty of flaws.
  10. The Mandalorian season 3 - all I can say is disappointing; a lot of wasted potential.

• 4 weeks later...

Adding some shows to my list:

1. Silo season 1 - the best new show of the year, so far. Well acted, interesting setup and plot.
  2. Superman & Lois season 3 - I am surprised by how much I liked this season, especially coming after a weaker season 2.
  3. The Legend of Vox Machina season 2 - similar feeling like the above.
  4. The Last of Us season 1 - a well done show, well acted, but I would get tired of it quickly if it went on and on like The Walking Dead did; thankfully it won't.
  5. Mrs. Davis - this was a bonkers of a show, but in a good way.
  6. Ted Lasso season 3 (final?) - weaker than the previous seasons, sure, but I found plenty of good in it; it also ended quite well. (me binging the previous two seasons ahead of it improves my opinion of the show)
  7. Carnival Row season 2 (final) - a fairly solid ending to a show that may have offered more if not for Covid. 
  8. Shadow & Bone season 2 - not bad; I think I liked it more than season 1. Some good character moments.
  9. The Bad Batch season 2 - it had its ups and downs, strong finale.
  10. Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan season 4 (final) - it was okay; I'm glad it's over; it had some good spy action, but rushed the ending.
  11. The Rig (season 1?) - interesting first half, weaker second half, bold cliffhanger.
  12. Star Trek: Picard season 3 - a little better than its other seasons, but still with plenty of flaws.
  13. The Witcher season 3 - really frustrating, as the story had potential and some good plot moves, but a lot of poor execution. 
  14. The Mandalorian season 3 - all I can say is disappointing; a lot of wasted potential.
  15. Secret Invasion - could have watched a short summary of it and still be perfectly up to speed with the MCU. A total waste.
Edited by Corvinus85

I miss these threads... OK, here is what I remember I have watched from 2023. Will be adding more in days and weeks to come as my summer holiday began and I have time for some binge-watching.

1. The Bear Season 2
  2. The Diplomat
  3. Marvelous Mrs Maisel Season 5
  4. Ted Lasso Season 3
  5. Abbott Elementary Season 2
  6. Queen Charlotte: A Bridgerton Story
  7. Shadow and Bone Season 2

Honestly, The Bear will be tough to beat this year, because I adored Episodes 6 and 7 of second season. But I have some great shows to watch and will see. I binged all three seasons of Ted Lasso. The last one was disappointing, but still good. I thought Maisel ended rather nice.

And yes, I have fallen yet again for the amazing Keri Russell. I missed watching her :wub:

1. Good Omens S02 - As charming and brilliantly funny as ever. Though it ended in such a place, that if Gaiman doesn't come up with the third season, there might be small riots in the streets, and rightly so.

2. Fleishman is in Trouble - Gripping story and great acting of all three leads, Jesse Eisenberg, Claire Danes and Lizzy Caplan.

3. Silo S01 - Quite faithful adaptation of the book I really liked, so what's not to like here, especially if the main character is played by Rebecca Ferguson?

4. Barry S04 - Great final season of a great, underrated show.

5. The Great S03 - Still very entertaining and funny.

6. Yellowjackets S02 - I'm still watching it (it airs here with delay), so the rank may change, but so far so good. Like new aditions in adult Lottie and Van plus Elijah Wood. Generally more interested in current time than the woods.

7. Righteous Gemstones S03 - It actually felt like the whole series finale, but I hear it was renewed. Good news.

7. Ted Lasso S03 - Weakest of the three seasons for sure, but I still enjoyed it a lot.

8. Beef - Unexpectadly good show, hard to label.

9. Carnival Row S02 - Not super satisfied with the finale, but overall liked it a lot.

10. The Last of Us S01 - Never played the game; the show started strong, then had it's ups and downs, but never managed to match episode three in quality.

11. The Witcher S03 - Probably the best of the three seasons, and definitely closest to source material, but idiotic and unnecessary changes made in season two were hard to undo and in some cases even made things worse.

Still looking forward to watch Bear S02, Reservation Dogs S03, Secret Invasion, Invincible S02 and few others.

Edited by 3CityApache

1. The Bear Season 2
  2. Silo Season 1
  3. Andor Season 1
  4. The Diplomat
  5. Marvelous Mrs Maisel Season 5
  6. Ted Lasso Season 3
  7. Abbott Elementary Season 2
  8. Queen Charlotte: A Bridgerton Story
  9. Shadow and Bone Season 2

Beyond any doubt, "Silo" was one of the best new things I have watched in a while. Rebecca Ferguson was amazing, the story was gripping and it had all the right elements of the genre to keep me hooked. It's an adaptation, so I may pick up the book to see what will happen next, but they did such a great job that I may just leave it until Season 2 comes.

And yes... Andor. I finished my binge-watching yesterday. I know it is 2022, but it is in this Emmy cycle, and I wasn't updating my 2022 list, so here it is.  Just like Rebecca in "Silo", Diego Luna is the perfect lead but I have to say that the storyline surrounding Mon Mothma was beautifully written. Genevieve O'Reilly was perfect, a joy to watch through and through. Stellar cast, great script... "Andor" restored my faith in Star Wars Universe (I am still afraid to watch S03 of "The Mandalorian"). I honestly can't wait for Season 2.

Coming next: "Foundation", "Barry", "The Mandalorian", "The Last of Us" before the  S02 of "The Wheel of Time" 

20 hours ago, Mladen said:
  1. "Andor" restored my faith in Star Wars Universe (I am still afraid to watch S03 of "The Mandalorian"). I honestly can't wait for Season 2.

Don't do this to yourself. Andor is a total outlier. Somehow Tony Gilroy was give the freedom to to create this wonderful show, and of course the ratings sucked. Take Andor for what it is and have no hope for the rest of SW. 

46 minutes ago, Relic said:

Don't do this to yourself. Andor is a total outlier. Somehow Tony Gilroy was give the freedom to to create this wonderful show, and of course the ratings sucked. Take Andor for what it is and have no hope for the rest of SW. 

I also had my faith in the SW universe restored by Andor. It made me go back and try to rewatch a few things with fresh hope.. a new hope you could say, but that hope was quickly dashed by half of one episode of Mandalorian. So yeah, don't do it.

6 hours ago, Relic said:

I had such a sweet chuckle at this. Well, when it comes to Star Wars, I am more of an agnostic... :D You are probably right, especially given the fact I will be watching "The Mandalorian" S03 soon enough (and for the life of me, I can't even remember the half of it ) so I suppose my faith will be soon destroyed. 

Currently watching "Foundation"... Now that is a strange feeling... 

• 2 weeks later...
  1. The Bear Season 2
  2. Silo Season 1
  3. Andor Season 1
  4. Good Omens Season 2
  5. The Diplomat
  6. Marvelous Mrs Maisel Season 5
  7. Ted Lasso Season 3
  8. Abbott Elementary Season 2
  9. Queen Charlotte: A Bridgerton Story
  10. Shadow and Bone Season 2

One can't write enough about the chemistry of David Tennant and Michael Sheen. The ending was so beautiful, so emotional that I could barely hold myself. It was hilarious, it was devastating...  I mean, you want Neil Gaiman to give you something like this. He truly delivered. And yes, I am so glad Netflix didn't cancel it :D

20 hours ago, Mladen said:
  1. The Bear Season 2
  2. Silo Season 1
  3. Andor Season 1
  4. Good Omens Season 2
  5. The Diplomat
  7. Ted Lasso Season 3

One can't write enough about the chemistry of David Tennant and Michael Sheen. The ending was so beautiful, so emotional that I could barely hold myself. It was hilarious, it was devastating...  I mean, you want Neil Gaiman to give you something like this. He truly delivered. And yes, I am so glad Netflix didn't cancel it :D

It's so sad and weird we have to say "I'm glad Netflix didn't cancel it" even about trally popular shows, but here we are. :unsure:

On 8/15/2023 at 8:21 PM, Mladen said:
  1. The Bear Season 2
  2. Silo Season 1
  3. Andor Season 1
  4. Good Omens Season 2
  5. The Diplomat
  7. Ted Lasso Season 3

Is Good Omens Netflix for you? Odd, as its Amazon Prime over here and I'd have thought they'd be competitors rather than one having distribution rights overseas.

Sandman is Netflix here though?

Edited by HelenaExMachina

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Is Good Omens Netflix for you? Odd, as its Amazon Prime over here and I'd have thought they'd be competitors rather than one having distribution rights overseas.

Sandman is Netflix here though?

Oh, you don't know about that particular joke? Here it is... :D

In addition, Netflix swore they won't make more of it. And Gaiman made us promise we won't tell them :D

Edited by Mladen

15 hours ago, Mladen said:

Oh, you don't know about that particular joke? Here it is... :D

In addition, Netflix swore they won't make more of it. And Gaiman made us promise we won't tell them :D

I mean they have a point, Netflix is so happy to csncel things I wouldn't be surprised if somehow managed to cancel them on another streaming services too :blink:

• 1 month later...
  1. The Bear Season 2
  2. Silo Season 1
  3. Andor Season 1
  4. Good Omens Season 2
  5. The Diplomat
  7. Ted Lasso Season 3
  9. Foundation Season 2
  10. Queen Charlotte: A Bridgerton Story
  11. Shadow and Bone Season 2

I didn't think it would be that low, but there it is. I waited the season finale to binge watch it. Lee Pace sells Day like no one else could and frankly remains one of only few reasons this show is watchable. It was much better than first season, although plot holes, deus ex machina and cheap, lazy tricks riddled this incredibly beautiful series. And by beautiful, I mean visually. I can't remember the series looking so rich in its visuals. ANDOR was gorgeous too, but this is, a whole new level of TV beauty. Sadly, the story is lacking. 

Moving on to ONLY MURDERS IN THE BUILDING, S03 of HIS DARK MATERIALS (will rank it here) and THE LAST OF US. I am epically behind the schedule for this year's TV. 

ELSBETH, THE GILDED AGE and ASHOKA some time during October. I may be missing something, but I will remember :D

• 2 weeks later...
  1. The Bear Season 2
  2. Silo Season 1
  3. Andor Season 1
  4. Good Omens Season 2
  5. The Diplomat
  7. Ted Lasso Season 3
  9. Foundation Season 2
  10. The Wheel of Time Season 2
  11. Queen Charlotte: A Bridgerton Story
  12. Shadow and Bone Season 2

Spoiler

I have just finished TWOT S02 and I am profoundly disappointed by it. The fact they mustered such talented cast (adoring Rosamund Pike and Sophie Okonedo, with huge shout-out to Natasha O'Keeffe as Lanfear) in a sizeable production and then have such uninspiring series is plainly sad. Besides some moments of individual brilliance, the season, albeit, improvement on the last, still failed to deliver for me.