Rank your 2023 shows throughout the year

Annara Snow

Update - 2022 shows in square brackets.

great:

Succession season 4

Barry season 4

[Andor season 1 (2022)]

good:

What We Do in the Shadows season 4-5 (2022-2023) - finished the latest season too. The show is still as funny as ever while pushing the characters into wacky new directions.

In Limbo season 1

[The Old Man season 1 (2022)] - solid thirller-action-drama that surprised me multiple times. With each new revelatio, it manages to completely overturn your idea of who you should be rooting for. (You'll also be surprised who the title refers to. It's not who you first think.) Great cast, especially the veterans like Jeff Bridges and John Lithgow. I'm really curious where seaosn 2 goes.

Yellowjackets season 2

Schmigadoon season 2

[Screw season 1 (2022)]

decent but I wasn't crazy about it:

The Fall of the House of Usher (2023) - I wrote a brief review in the Watching thread. Interesting way that various Poe's stories were used and referenced, but I didn't like it as much as Mike Flanagan's other shows because the story was quite predictable and the characters flat.

The Last of Us season 1

Ted Lasso season 3

[MoonKnight season 1 (2022]

Updates to my list:

1. Silo season 1 - the best new show of the year, so far. Well acted, interesting setup and plot.
  2. Star Trek: Strange New Worlds season 2 - I continue to love this show and I don't really consider myself a Trekkie. Good character chemistry, interesting ideas, fun episodes.
  3. Superman & Lois season 3 - I am surprised by how much I liked this season, especially coming after a weaker season 2.
  4. The Legend of Vox Machina season 2 - similar feeling like the above.
  5. Gen V season 1 - much better than I expected it to be, with interesting characters and some nice twists.
  6. The Last of Us season 1 - a well done show, well acted, but I would get tired of it quickly if it went on and on like The Walking Dead did; thankfully it won't.
  7. Mrs. Davis - this was a bonkers of a show, but in a good way.
  8. Ted Lasso season 3 (final?) - weaker than the previous seasons, sure, but I found plenty of good in it; it also ended quite well. (me binging the previous two seasons ahead of it improves my opinion of the show)
  9. Loki season 2 (final) - not as good as season 1 but it stuck the landing for the series.
  10. Outlander season 7 (1st half) - sigh on not having the whole season released; I'm glad to see the characters dealing with another major historical event; some good plot moments; the Friday air time often made me forget about it.
  11. Carnival Row season 2 (final) - a fairly solid ending to a show that may have offered more if not for Covid.
  12. Ahsoka - good start, strong middle, meh ending; some interesting new characters.
  13. Shadow & Bone season 2 - not bad; I think I liked it more than season 1. Some good character moments.
  14. The Bad Batch season 2 - it had its ups and downs, strong finale.
  15. The Wheel of Time season 2 - better than season 1 in all aspects but still with plenty of flaws.
  16. Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan season 4 (final) - it was okay; I'm glad it's over; it had some good spy action, but rushed the ending.
  17. The Rig (season 1?) - interesting first half, weaker second half, bold cliffhanger.
  18. Star Trek: Picard season 3 - a little better than its other seasons, but still with plenty of flaws.
  19. The Witcher season 3 - really frustrating, as the story had potential and some good plot moves, but a lot of poor execution. 
  20. The Mandalorian season 3 - all I can say is disappointing; a lot of wasted potential.
  21. Secret Invasion - could have watched a short summary of it and still be perfectly up to speed with the MCU. A total waste.

• 1 month later...
  1. The Bear Season 2
  2. Silo Season 1
  3. Andor Season 1
  4. Good Omens Season 2
  5. The Diplomat
  6. Marvelous Mrs Maisel Season 5
  7. Ted Lasso Season 3
  8. Abbott Elementary Season 2
  9. Foundation Season 2
  10. The Gilded Age Season 2
  11. The Wheel of Time Season 2
  12. Queen Charlotte: A Bridgerton Story
  13. Shadow and Bone Season 2

As an avid Downton Abbey fan, this Americanized version of British period drama was a must watch. Fellowes is less stellar with this one, but the cast... The cast of this series is epic. It has more Tony winners than one could count. Naturally, Fellowes focuses on superfluous life of high society in New York, but it is not without some rather interesting historical facts - from depiction of black upper class in New York to rise of union and work rights. Heavily inspired by history, Fellowes and the entire team is rather successful in depicting the New York social life in 1880s. But, at the end of the day, this could easily be the most prestigious soap opera there is... And honestly, there is nothing bad about it!  

great:

Succession season 4

Barry season 4

[Andor season 1 (2022)]

Silo season 1 - excellent SciFI mystery drama with a great cast

The Bear seasons 1-2 - excellent workplace/family drama about dysfunctional but likable people, which weirdly gets lumped into the comedy category at the awards though it has barely any comedic elements. I need time to get used to all the kitchen lingo though

good:

What We Do in the Shadows season 4-5

In Limbo season 1

[The Old Man season 1 (2022)]

Yellowjackets season 2

Schmigadoon season 2

[Screw season 1 (2022)]

decent but I wasn't crazy about it:

The Fall of the House of Usher (2023) 

The Last of Us season 1

Ted Lasso season 3

[MoonKnight season 1 (2022]

I'm halfway through Beef and it's great, will be added soon.

Edited by Annara Snow

1. Reservation Dogs Season 3: having smashed it out of the park for two seasons in a row and reached a perfect finale, only to get a last-minute renewal, I was not expecting great things, but somehow they did it again. Endearing without me schmaltzy, and at times genuinely hilarious. Not as dark as Seasons 1 and 2 could get, but not to its detriment. As one of the first shows to start and end in the 2020s, and remain consistently brilliant throughout, a strong early contender for show of the decade (if anyone remembers it in seven years time; it's pretty low-key).
  2. Succession Season 4: great television. The third episode in particular is fantastic. Very solid ending. The politicking and machinations did occasionally threaten to grate so ending it where they did was probably a good move.
  3. What We Do in the Shadows Season 5: a very welcome return to form after a somewhat lacklustre fourth season. Nandor's trip to space might be the best thing the show has ever done.
  4. Foundation Season 2: startlingly superior to the first season, to a remarkable degree.
  5. Mythic Quest Season 3: lacked a knock-out blow episode like the first two seasons, but the standalone prequel episode is very good and the general consistency of the show as a whole is improved from the first two seasons.
  6. The Last of Us Season 1: a very solid drama series, and a timely reminder that Pedro Pascal on top form is still excellent.
  7. Carnival Row Season 2: very underrated show, unusual given it's the only original-for-TV fantasy show on at the moment I believe
  8. The Bad Batch Season 2: the gradual/not-so-gradual transition of the Republic into the Empire is one of the great untold stories of Star Wars and The Bad Batch is surprising in how well it's telling that story. 
  9. Ahsoka Season 1: some very flawed pacing is made up for by a good live-action rendition of Thrawn and several Rebels characters, and some of the very-best visuals Star Wars has produced in many years. Perhaps a little flatter than it really should have been, it feels like Filoni saw Andor halfway through production and tried to pivot hard to that style but too late to fully sell it. RIP Ray Stevenson!
  10. Good Omens Season 2: unexpectedly lower-key than the first season, but outstanding performances and a script tailored to the strengths to television resulted in a much stronger show.

Bubbling Under: Yellowjackets Season 2 (some great ideas, like Elijah Wood joining the team, but the show can't quite settle on a tone and never quite lives up to the utterly horrific second episode, backing off rather timidly after that), Star Trek: Lower Decks Season 4 (entertaining, and uses the promotions to deliver good character development), For All Mankind Season 4 (not finished yet, seems to be a tick up from Season 3 but still flawed with some bafflingly dumb decisions), Sex Education Season 4 (better than the over-cringe third season, an underused Daniel Levy, pretty solid finale), Wheel of Time Season 2 (a welcome improvement), Ted Lasso Season 3 (some fun moments, but a lot of random stuff as they tried to wrap things up), The Witcher Season 3 (some genuinely epic moments but also some questionable decisions; worth watching The Discourse for people bitching about Geralt being sidelined in favour of Ciri, despite that being the exact arc in the books as well), The Mandalorian Season 3 (this was okay, not great, not terrible, worth it for more Katee Sackhoff and some action action sequences), Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Season 2 (still overrated, the Gorn being a totally different species to the OG show is annoying, but it is growing on me and the cast remains exceptional), Star Trek: Picard Season 3 (potentially good but interrupts its flow far too much for nostalgia-callbacks; that said, I forgive them a lot for that shot of the Enterprise-A in the museum).

What the Fuck Were They Thinking: Secret Invasion

Haven't seen yet: The Bear, Marvellous Mrs. Maisel Season 5, Silo Season 1, Severance Season 2 (or 1),

Edited by Werthead

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

Season 2 (some great ideas, like Elijah Wood joining the team, but the show can't quite settle on a tone and never quite lives up to the utterly horrific second episode, backing off rather timidly after that), 

You cannot be serious. Unless you're talking about quality, which is debatable, but if you're talking about the horrificness... it sure as hell never backs up and only gets a lot more horrific, no one can deny that.

Updating my list from August, and removing Andor since that was actually last year. 

1. Succession 

2. The Bear

3. Beef

4. The Curse

5. Blue Eye Samurai

6. The Gold

7. Last of Us

Edited by Relic

One addition - and since it's almost New Year, I'm now only putting shows that came out in 2023.

great:

Succession season 4

Beef - another brilliant dark (tragi)comedy-drama about messy people ruining their own lives and those of others. (All three of my top shows this year are) This story didn't go how I thought and kept surprising me, and got more emotional as it went on. Great acting and a perfect soundtrack consisting of 1990s alt rock songs that matched each situation.

Barry season 4

Silo season 1

The Bear seasons 1-2

good:

In Limbo season 1

Yellowjackets season 2

Schmigadoon season 2

decent/mixed bag:

The Fall of the House of Usher

The Last of Us season 1

Ted Lasso season 3

Question for all - how long should we keep this thread open? I think we should keep it open for maybe about a week, so we can post updated lists with 2023 shows we only finished a few days after the New Year. That's how we did the previous years, though sometimes we went too far and kept posting for over a month. The new thread for 2024 is kinda pointless till a month in anyway since barely anyone manages to see anything from 2024. What do you think?

Anyway, I was binging some shows these last few days but didn't manage to finish them (From and Somebody Somewhere), but I'll update the list to add them anyway, though the final ranking might change.

I also pushed The Last of Us one place higher - although I didn't enjoy most of the present day stuff in the show (which may be because it reminds me too much of TWD), the two flashback episodes and single flashback scenes in other episodes were some of the best TV episodes/moments of the year, which I can't say for The Fall of House Usher.

great:

Succession season 4

Beef

Barry season 4

Silo season 1

From - seasons 1-2 (the best horror mystery I've seen in a long time. Reminds me of Lost in good ways. I binged both seasons the last few days and while I have 2 episodes left, I think this probably won't change the placement much. A lot however depends on how the mystery is resolved in the subseqauent seasons)

The Bear seasons 1-2

good:

In Limbo season 1

Yellowjackets season 2

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds season 2 - halfway through so I may push it higher or lower, but season 2 seems at least as good as season 1 so fa

Somebody Somewhere - seasons 1-2 (binged both seasons this week, halfway through season 2. Really enjoyable warm comedy-drama with unusual lead character and unusual LGBT representation - read: lots of average looking people including a plus sized 40-something female lead. You don't see that often on US TV)

Schmigadoon season 2

decent/mixed bag:

The Last of Us season 1

The Fall of the House of Usher

Ted Lasso season 3

End of the year updates

1. Silo season 1 - the best new show of the year, so far. Well acted, interesting setup and plot.
  2. Star Trek: Strange New Worlds season 2 - I continue to love this show and I don't really consider myself a Trekkie. Good character chemistry, interesting ideas, fun episodes.
  3. Superman & Lois season 3 - I am surprised by how much I liked this season, especially coming after a weaker season 2.
  5. Gen V season 1 - much better than I expected it to be, with interesting characters and some nice twists.
  6. The Last of Us season 1 - a well done show, well acted, but I would get tired of it quickly if it went on and on like The Walking Dead did; thankfully it won't.
  8. Ted Lasso season 3 (final?) - weaker than the previous seasons, sure, but I found plenty of good in it; it also ended quite well. (me binging the previous two seasons ahead of it improves my opinion of the show)
  9. Loki season 2 (final) - not as good as season 1 but it stuck the landing for the series.
  10. Doom Patrol season 4 (final) - a good, bittersweet ending, though most of the season was so-so.
  11. Outlander season 7 (1st half) - sigh on not having the whole season released; I'm glad to see the characters dealing with another major historical event; some good plot moments; the Friday air time often made me forget about it.
  12. Carnival Row season 2 (final) - a fairly solid ending to a show that may have offered more if not for Covid.
  13. Ahsoka - good start, strong middle, meh ending; some interesting new characters.
  14. Shadow & Bone season 2 - not bad; I think I liked it more than season 1. Some good character moments.
  15. The Bad Batch season 2 - it had its ups and downs, strong finale.
  16. What If season 2 - I mostly liked it, with the middle episodes being my favorite. Last 2 episodes were weaker.
  17. The Wheel of Time season 2 - better than season 1 in all aspects but still with plenty of flaws.
  18. Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan season 4 (final) - it was okay; I'm glad it's over; it had some good spy action, but rushed the ending.
  19. Invasion seasons 1 & 2 - season 2 came out this summer, I binged both just recently. An OK show with lots of good individual scenes but its pacing was slow. Season 2 > season 1 thanks to better pacing but it had a ridiculous cliffhanger. If it gets cancelled, I will consider it a waste of my time.
  20. The Rig (season 1?) - interesting first half, weaker second half, bold cliffhanger.
  21. Star Trek: Picard season 3 - a little better than its other seasons, but still with plenty of flaws.
  22. The Witcher season 3 - really frustrating, as the story had potential and some good plot moves, but a lot of poor execution. 
  23. The Mandalorian season 3 - all I can say is disappointing; a lot of wasted potential.
  24. Secret Invasion - could have watched a short summary of it and still be perfectly up to speed with the MCU. A total waste.
17 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

Question for all - how long should we keep this thread open? I think we should keep it open for maybe about a week, so we can post updated lists with 2023 shows we only finished a few days after the New Year. That's how we did the previous years, though sometimes we went too far and kept posting for over a month. The new thread for 2024 is kinda pointless till a month in anyway since barely anyone manages to see anything from 2024. What do you think?

I'm watching For All Mankind and Monarch: Legacy of Monsters which are only 2 episodes shy of their end. So I'll update my list with them once they finish. I'm also watching Reacher, but that's more half & half so I don't know if I'll rank it here.

• 2 weeks later...

Final list - added For All Mankind and Monarch: Legacy of Monsters and shuffled some shows around.

1. Silo season 1 - the best new show of the year. Well acted, interesting setup and plot.
  10. Doom Patrol season 4 (final) - a good, bittersweet ending, though most of the season was so-so.
  11. For All Mankind season 4 - better than season 3, especially its ending, but less cool space stuff and despite numerous new secondary characters, only a few were interesting.
  12. Outlander season 7 (1st half) - sigh on not having the whole season released; I'm glad to see the characters dealing with another major historical event; some good plot moments; the Friday air time often made me forget about it.
  13. Carnival Row season 2 (final) - a fairly solid ending to a show that may have offered more if not for Covid.
  14. Ahsoka season 1 - good start, strong middle, meh ending; some interesting new characters.
  15. The Bad Batch season 2 - it had its ups and downs, strong finale.
  16. Monarch: Legacy of Monsters season 1? - high quality visuals in a story less about the monsters and more about the humans, with many up-and-downs for the plot; solid finale.
  17. Shadow & Bone season 2 (cancelled) - not bad; I think I liked it more than season 1. Some good character moments.
  18. What If season 2 - I mostly liked it, with the middle episodes being my favorite. Last 2 episodes were weaker.
  19. The Wheel of Time season 2 - better than season 1 in all aspects but still with plenty of flaws.
  20. Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan season 4 (final) - it was okay; I'm glad it's over; it had some good spy action, but rushed the ending.
  21. The Rig season 1 - interesting first half, weaker second half, bold cliffhanger.
  22. Invasion seasons 1 & 2 - season 2 came out this summer, I binged both just recently. An OK show with lots of good individual scenes but its pacing was slow. Season 2 > season 1 thanks to better pacing but it had a ridiculous cliffhanger. If it gets cancelled, I will consider it a waste of my time.
  23. Star Trek: Picard season 3 (final) - a little better than its other seasons, but still with plenty of flaws.
  24. The Witcher season 3 - really frustrating, as the story had potential and some good plot moves, but a lot of poor execution. 
  25. The Mandalorian season 3 - all I can say is disappointing; a lot of wasted potential.
  26. Secret Invasion - could have watched a short summary of it and still be perfectly up to speed with the MCU. A total waste.

• 2 weeks later...

Best I saw:

Last of Us

We own the City

White Lotus S2

Tokyo Vice

House of the Dragon

Rings of Power

Sandman ( though thats probably a 2022 release)

Kenobi ( Also a 2022 release)

Succession  s4 I dont really enjoy watching it because everybody is so terrible but its a well made show.

Beef: not a superb show but I enjoyed it.

Old Man with Jeff bridges.

Still to watch: new seasons of Outlander, Yellowstone season 5, Andor , Ahsoka.

Edited by Calibandar