The Small Stuff That Doesn't Need, or Even Want, a Thread. #6

LongRider

8 hours ago, Spockydog said:

. I used to build entire web portals for massive companies. The only reason I paid someone to build my site was to save me the hassle. 

LARRY:

*Puts on smoking robe and unwashed slippers*

*TAKES BONG RIP*

I think it's usually a sign you're "going in the right direction" in our world when you can pay people to do the shit that you used to do.  

Ok, can you fuck off, kindly?   The dude I just hired to make sweet sweet love to my girlfriend is texting saying his cab is here

1 hour ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

LARRY:

*Puts on smoking robe and unwashed slippers*

*TAKES BONG RIP*

I think it's usually a sign you're "going in the right direction" in our world when you can pay people to do the shit that you used to do.  

Ok, can you fuck off, kindly?   The dude I just hired to make sweet sweet love to my girlfriend is texting saying his cab is here

*checks confidentiality documentation*

*TAKES BONG RIP TOO*

All I can *COUGH* say is that we are currently on the fast track for a seven-figure-sum, in the form of two grants, one from the UK government, the other from the EU. This is for R&D and product development. No strings attached. 

Much my preferred option, as we keep all our equity and can shape our own strategic goals.

Edited by Spockydog

Our ancestors already built wood structures half-a-million years ago:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-09-21/worlds-oldest-wooden-structure-discovered-in-zambia/102882164

The earliest evidence of Homo sapiens is from around 300,000 years ago. But fossils of human relative Homo heidelbergensis, thought to have lived between 700,000 to 200,000 years ago, have been found in the region, Mr Barham said.

The discovery of the wooden structure "changed how I thought about these people", Mr Barham added.  "They transformed their surroundings to make life easier, even if it was only by making a platform to sit on by the river to do their daily chores," he said.

This suggests an abstract level of thinking and "probably language", he added.

Sophie Archambault de Beaune, an archaeologist at France's Lyon 3 University not involved in the study, said the structure "presupposes cognitive abilities such as planning and the ability to visualise the finished product." But "these capacities were already assumed from the study of cut stone tools", she told AFP.

The authors of the study also said the discovery challenges the idea that human ancestors were nomadic, because the structure seems to be a permanent dwelling near the waterfalls, a perennial source of water. Archambault de Beaune cautioned that this hypothesis had not yet been proven, because the structure could have been installed for the season, rather than permanently.

There's something rather mind-boggling about the idea of thinking humanoids already existing hundreds of thousands of years ago. I've always thought of stone-age humanoids as rather primitive, but building structures out of wood challenges that. The ruins of incredibly ancient cities may remain to be discovered in Africa, and for all we know, tens of thousands of small-scall civilizations might have emerged and vanished over the eons.

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

Everyone stands on the shoulders of giants.

I know I am.

Archimedes, and whomever it was who came up with the almost-fucking-magical concept of the A-Frame.

p.s. Freakin' kicking myself. Been working on my own website design for just a day, and it is looking siiiiiiiiick.

I knew I should have done it myself.

We'd already spent so much, I had to choose between an awesome concept artist and this fucking "professional" website designer. Anyway, I have complained to Upwork. Let's see what they do.

Ugh. Ugh. Uuuuuugh. Should have done it myself. The concept art would have been wild.

Anyway, website is sweet as. Can't wait for the world to see it.

Edited by Spockydog

14 hours ago, Spockydog said:

I know I am.

Archimedes, and whomever it was who came up with the almost-fucking-magical concept of the A-Frame.

p.s. Freakin' kicking myself. Been working on my own website design for just a day, and it is looking siiiiiiiiick.

I knew I should have done it myself.

We'd already spent so much, I had to choose between an awesome concept artist and this fucking "professional" website designer. Anyway, I have complained to Upwork. Let's see what they do.

Ugh. Ugh. Uuuuuugh. Should have done it myself. The concept art would have been wild.

Anyway, website is sweet as. Can't wait for the world to see it.

Glad you're moving forward.  I build custom react (a javascript framework) sites for my job as well as a side hustle - so if you ever get into that realm my door is always open.  Hopefully you didn't pay for the entire thing up front.  I usually get a down payment to show seriousness, then get the rest when it's delivered - but I've found the side hustle to such a PITA that I don't really do it anymore.  People don't really understand that while I can build something for you, you still need somewhere to deploy it, keep up with security, make sure its up and running, etc... that all have their ongoing costs and headaches.  These days I point them to various CMS providers (something like wordpress) that can typically get you off the ground, have templates, and are built for the layperson to manage themselves.

18 hours ago, Rippounet said:

Our ancestors already built wood structures half-a-million years ago:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-09-21/worlds-oldest-wooden-structure-discovered-in-zambia/102882164

There's something rather mind-boggling about the idea of thinking humanoids already existing hundreds of thousands of years ago. I've always thought of stone-age humanoids as rather primitive, but building structures out of wood challenges that. The ruins of incredibly ancient cities may remain to be discovered in Africa, and for all we know, tens of thousands of small-scall civilizations might have emerged and vanished over the eons.

They almost certainly did. 

We are continuously revising upwards our estimations of what our ancestors did: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/gobekli-tepe-the-worlds-first-temple-83613665/

Awww, poor Sophie Turner. One day she and Joe Jonas decide England is going to be their “forever home”, they sell the mansion in Florida and start house hunting, then they have an argument and he files for divorce. Now he’s withholding their daughters’ passports do they can’t join their mom in England, and she had to sue him.

I guess all his American friends and family told him England was no place to live, right?

20 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Awww, poor Sophie Turner. One day she and Joe Jonas decide England is going to be their “forever home”, they sell the mansion in Florida and start house hunting, then they have an argument and he files for divorce. Now he’s withholding their daughters’ passports do they can’t join their mom in England, and she had to sue him.

I guess all his American friends and family told him England was no place to live, right?

Oooooh that divorce is the tea of the season. I have no idea how Joe Jonas’s PR/legal team thought he could ever win the public in this and age by framing Sophie as a negligent mum. But I hope that turning a page and starting fresh in the UK will be good for Sophie. 

Holy shit. A bit ago I put my hand up against a wall while trying to move something. I didn't realize there were dozens of nails sticking out of it. Somehow I didn't hit any of them and a few went between my fingers.

I'm still looking at my hand like how a 16 year old does after smoking pot. Fucking lucky as hell.

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Holy shit. A bit ago I put my hand up against a wall while trying to move something. I didn't realize there were dozens of nails sticking out of it. Somehow I didn't hit any of them and a few went between my fingers.

I'm still looking at my hand like how a 16 year old does after smoking pot. Fucking lucky as hell.

Congrats on the near miss.  Are you hanging out in a torture chamber on a Friday night?  Get your tetanus booster!

3 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Why am I working at 4am on a Friday night? I should really go to bed.

Then again, is it really work if you're literally having the best time of your life? 

Really having fun with this website. :D

Board party on you when you make your first 10 million? 

Apparently about 95% of NFTs are now completely worthless. I'd be happier if it was 100%, fucking cretins. 

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I can't believe anyone thought this garbage would maintain any value. 

Melania is still out there soliciting johns for her gold xmas ornament NFTs.

Which only supports a widely held opinion that those who believe in this garbage are not intelligent people.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mary Beard again shows the world that thinking daily about Ancient and Classical Rome is a Lady Thing; also shows that, unlike so many, she is an intelligent person. :bowdown: :read: :thumbsup:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/sep/23/were-not-the-first-generation-to-wonder-how-genuine-our-leaders-are-mary-beard-on-politicians-as-performers

Edited by Zorral