The Small Stuff That Doesn't Need, or Even Want, a Thread. #6

LongRider

What we didn't know we had -- sharks! on cocaine!

Experts say ‘cocaine sharks’ may be feasting on drugs dumped off Florida
Erratic behavior observed in some sharks could be result of them ingesting bales of cocaine cast overboard by passing traffickers

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jul/22/cocaine-sharks-drugs-florida-coast

Mentioning this to somebody this AM, he reflected, "Ya, In my time, I met many a coked up shark in Miami."

It's been quiet here for almost a month since a problematic housemate left, having been served with a two-week eviction notice after smashing a neighbour's window with a hammer. 

Now water is pouring through the kitchen ceiling after someone had a shower in the new bathroom that was finally installed at the start of June. This happened a couple of hours after the hot water was fixed; it had been off for the last five days. As a result, I am an expert in sponge baths, and have another skill to add to my LinkedIn profile. 

I'm not really bothered about the ceiling...just grateful hammers don't seem to have been involved again. 

Edited by dog-days

Reminds of an old joke.

What's the difference between the Tories and an old slice of toast?

The slice of toast can at least start to mould.

So the ceiling should kinda worry you, unless it's a Tory.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

I saw a marten on the way home. I mean I know we have rats and bats but apparently there’s a marten infestation as well. Some pest control in this city? Anybody? Elections are coming up and all… 

Edited by RhaenysBee

Phoned the doctor's surgery today after two previous attempts (in the UK you have to phone the surgery as soon as it opens then wait in a queue for an appointment) and, after a short call back from a doctor an hour later, was allocated an assessment form for autism. Picked it up after work. 

I don't know if I have autism or not, but after going in mental circles around it for too many years, it feels good to finally do something. If anything does come of it, it'll be a long way down the road since I'm not paying for a private assessment. 

On 7/22/2023 at 8:33 PM, dog-days said:

It's been quiet here for almost a month since a problematic housemate left, having been served with a two-week eviction notice after smashing a neighbour's window with a hammer. 

Now water is pouring through the kitchen ceiling after someone had a shower in the new bathroom that was finally installed at the start of June. This happened a couple of hours after the hot water was fixed; it had been off for the last five days. As a result, I am an expert in sponge baths, and have another skill to add to my LinkedIn profile. 

I'm not really bothered about the ceiling...just grateful hammers don't seem to have been involved again. 

Has this water situation improved at all since? :( 

well well, would you know that going to the grocery store in your hometown at around 9am on a Saturday means running into every second elementary school teacher you had? I’ve got to say, these ladies are looking amazing. I want to be them when I’m…. Well I have no idea how old they are. I suppose at the tender age of 7-10 I didn’t really have a sense of what “old” meant because I remember them as being old when they taught me, but boy 20+ years later they are a little smaller, little grayer but pretty much the same? Really sweet people.

During  this nostalgia week here I also saw at the grocery store: my old hair dresser’s mother and daughter who had the daughter’s baby with them, the lady who used to be the school receptionist and always smoked in her cubicle and later became a postwoman, the lady who used to run the library where I read nearly every YA and children’s book from the selection and donated all my YA and children’s books after the covid clean out. And one of the cashiers is the lady whose mom used to do housework for us when my mom had been ill, and whose daughter I used to take the bus to grammar school with. Oh and I walked past a woman in front of the store, whose sister used to be in my class and whose dad used to be the school janitor. Life is weird and beautiful. 

Edited by RhaenysBee

58 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Has this water situation improved at all since? :( 

Oh and I walked past a woman in front of the store, whose sister used to be in my class and whose dad used to be the school janitor. Life is weird and beautiful. 

The monsoon problem was fixed. The hot water went off again a couple of days ago, with the lettings agency muttering about a new boiler. Not sure when/if that'll happen. The current one is ancient with the flue conveniently close to my bedroom window. Have applied for a new job, and will keep on applying for jobs, so I hope I won't be living here much longer. 

Primary/elementary school teachers tend to be very nice people. I'm the offspring of two of them. 

Not sure if I'd recognise the people I went to primary or secondary school with these days – it's been so long. 

2 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Well I have no idea how old they are. I suppose at the tender age of 7-10 I didn’t really have a sense of what “old” meant because I remember them as being old when they taught me, but boy 20+ years later they are a little smaller, little grayer but pretty much the same?

I think to schoolchildren all teachers are automatically classified as 'old' regardless of whether they're in their mid-20s or coming up to retirement.

1 hour ago, williamjm said:

I think to schoolchildren all teachers are automatically classified as 'old' regardless of whether they're in their mid-20s or coming up to retirement.

And no matter how old you are, or responsible your job now is, you still refer to them as Sir or Miss when you bump into them in public. 

People be crazy.

Kai Cenat Live Streamed Terrifying First Moments as NYC Riot Broke Out Around Him

He was guarded by his entourage as he made his way through the crowd

Published |Updated
Scott McDonald

Notorious influencer Kai Cenet on Friday afternoon live-streamed what was soon to be complete chaos as he launched his touted massive giveaway in New York City.

As he left the vehicle, throngs of fans rushed him, forcing his entourage to shelter him as they pushed toward Union Park.

ETA: Forget his video.  It's been taken down.  Sad face.

Edited by Tears of Lys
Article doesn't say whether he actually GAVE anything away.

32 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

Article doesn't say whether he actually GAVE anything away.

He didn't.  Not even a gift card.  He didn't have anything, evidently.  He was extraordinarily reckless and endangered many many lives, and many people were really hurt.  A friend of mine got caught up in it as she was trying to get to the subway -- which were shut down.  If anyone in that mass of people had a gun ... but as it was a lot of people, including cops, were hurt, and badly.  My own first hint something big was going on was, of course, the helicopters.