The Small Stuff That Doesn't Need, or Even Want, a Thread. #6

LongRider

3 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

You’ll confuse the Americans. Because their mains electricity is 120v instead of the UK 240v, kettles are very slow over there, and sonthey use the hob to heat up water.

Meh, I know that. It seems stupid to fill and heat a kettle, then fill a pot, maybe needing to do that twice, when I can just put the pot on the stove and work on putting together dinner while the water boils. 

10 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Meh, I know that. It seems stupid to fill and heat a kettle, then fill a pot, maybe needing to do that twice, when I can just put the pot on the stove and work on putting together dinner while the water boils. 

Depends. Despite my having to do it twice to get the water level I need for pasta, I got a fancy convection kettle thingy or whatever that boils water way, way faster than any of my big pots by stovetop. 

Edited by JGP

17 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

You’ll confuse the Americans. Because their mains electricity is 120v instead of the UK 240v, kettles are very slow over there, and sonthey use the hob to heat up water.

Can't speak for the US, but in Canada it's code to have a 240v hardwired for stoves, washer/dryers and the like.

Who'd a thot?

Middle-Aged Adults Are Binge Drinking and Using Marijuana at Record Levels

(NPR listeners too, They Say Elsewheres!) Ha!

P.S. The place where the highest amount of cannabis consumed anywhere on the planet They Also Say, is My City.  Why is anyone surprised when the clownmayer's copdept. gets so much payoff from illegal cannibis shops that number 3 -4 - even 5 per black (at least in my nabe). So much payoff that it makes the cops in Prohibition look like chumps.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/17/health/alcohol-binge-marijuana-drugs.html

As my Lazyscrog patent moves into the national phase in the US, Canada, and the European Union, I think I might have accidentally come up with another ground-breaking, potentially mega-selling invention.

Again, like my hydroponic scrog device, this was to solve a real-world problem that I could not find a commercial solution for.

My brother has dozens and dozens of action figures. A whole bunch of them occupy the top of his chest of drawers, in various states of upended chaos. 

For his birthday, I wanted to get him some kind of display apparatus that would allow him to array these figures without them falling over and causing a domino effect every other week. Couldn't find anything suitable in the shops.

But that's never stopped me before.

My solution was simple. I have now built him a five-tier stand, that, because of an ingenious application of an everyday material, allows him to stand his figures up and pose them without the danger of falling over. It is also beautifully illuminated with LED strips and, frankly, the whole thing looks amazing.

It's been a week since we set it up, and not a single figure has fallen over yet. Chops is over the moon.

Obviously, I can't share the details as I am probably going to try and patent this contraption. Watch this space.

Edited by Spockydog

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

As my Lazyscrog patent moves into the national phase in the US, Canada, and the European Union, I think I might have accidentally come up with another ground-breaking, potentially mega-selling invention.

Again, like my hydroponic scrog device, this was to solve a real-world problem that I could not find a commercial solution for.

My brother has dozens and dozens of action figures. A whole bunch of them occupy the top of his chest of drawers, in various states of upended chaos. 

For his birthday, I wanted to get him some kind of display apparatus that would allow him to array these figures without them falling over and causing a domino effect every other week. Couldn't find anything suitable in the shops.

But that's never stopped me before.

My solution was simple. I have now built him a five-tier stand, that, because of an ingenious application of an everyday material, allows him to stand his figures up and pose them without the danger of falling over. It is also beautifully illuminated with LED strips and, frankly, the whole thing looks amazing.

It's been a week since we set it up, and not a single figure has fallen over yet. Chops is over the moon.

Obviously, I can't share the details as I am probably going to try and patent this contraption. Watch this space.

You can't patent glue.

8 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

You can't patent glue.

Lol. There is glue, but only to hold the 'everyday material' in place. Nothing is attached, permanently or otherwise, to the action figure's feet. The figures can be removed and resituated in the blink of an eye. I'm amazed nobody's done this already. 

Edited by Spockydog

So my Big City Lawyers wanted to charge upwards of £5k, per country, to move my PCT (basically a provisional international patent) into the national phase.

For the PCT application, they basically recycled my UK patent documentation, which had already cost £8K. The only difference was a submission requirement for diagrams instead of photographs. The lawyers ran my photographs through an app to turn them into diagrams, and then charged another £5k.

With the national phase deadline approaching, I really didn't fancy getting ripped off again. As far as I could tell, all the hard work had already been paid for, and I had no need to reinvent any wheels. Or spend a fortune for some intern to fill out half-a-dozen forms.

ChatGPT told me that if nothing had changed since the PCT was issued, it was a simple task to move things forward. Gave me links to the forms and told me how much it would cost.

Took me half an hour to complete the forms for the US. Any questions I had were answered by ChatGPT. It was just like talking to a real person.

Anyway, last night I had confirmation from the USPTO that my application is in order and everything looks good. Cost three-hundred bucks.

I'm doing Canada and the EU now. These are even easier because I can use the web-filing interface.

Saved myself thousands.

Edited by Spockydog

Just filed my EU regional phase form. At a cost of two hours, some chat with an AI, and the grand sum of one-hundred-and-thirty-five Euros.

Five fucking grand, my arse.

Edited by Spockydog

52 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Athletes who ease up in qualifying and are caught or nearly caught should never race for their country again, its a pathetic flex with no point. i love it when the big names lose out in this way. 

Not quite no point, they’ll tell you they’re saving energy for the final. But yes it is fun to see people lose like that (see also cyclists who celebrate before crossing the finish line)

I had to speak to the help desk at the US Patent Office today. Got through on the phone after a couple of rings, and the chap was super friendly and helpful. Dude went way above and beyond to help me. 

Contrasted with my experiences with public organizations in the UK, this was brilliant service. I've been trying to speak to someone at Enfield Council for weeks. The number keeps ringing and ringing and ringing. 

I've also had extreme trouble getting in touch with the DVLA and Companies House. 

This country is in a state of ruin. 

Boooo! Just had a letter from the Canadian Patent Office. Even though all my forms are in order, I apparently need to appoint a Canadian patent agent to act on my behalf.

Are there any such peeps on the board that might be interested in a little bit of work? Looking for no favours. Full rate.

As my application has already been filed, it looks like I just need someone to act as a conduit for updates.

Edited by Spockydog

2 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

Just wanted to say, best of luck with your product, Spockydog.  

Unfortunately, I'm not a Canadian patent agent, but I'll buy it when your product finally comes out.  

:thumbsup: 

Oh, thank you. 

A large global hydroponics manufacturing company recently offered a six-figure sum to buy my patent outright.

But I'm not selling.

My invention allows growers of cannabis, along with various food crops, to combine Deep Water Culture hydroponics with the Screen of Green growing method. These are by far the most effective, yield-maximising methods, and the simultaneous harnessing of both was widely viewed as impossible.

Until my invention.

So far, the Lazyscrog has been used to grow several massive crops, legal and otherwise. Some of the grow diaries are absolutely mad. And, yes, that really is just one plant. :D

We conducted a large survey of cannabis growers who use grow tents. 50% said they use some kind of horzontal trellis. Many have built DIY scrog solutions. 75% of all responders expressed interest in our product. 

One of the claims I have been granted is the exclusive sale of grow tents bundled with my device. The global grow tent market is experiencing rapid growth, and is expected to be worth £1.3bn in 2031.

Overall, the global hydroponics market is currently estimated at £22bn.

The device can also be installed in greenhouses, or just set up in the garden. The rig is completely modular, scalable, and can be deployed in various configurations. Neither is it restricted to DWC hydroponics. Growers preferring soil or coco can also order smartpot and airpot versions.

I am working with a City-based IP valuation firm to determine the true value of my patent.

I am currently leaning towards licencing it to a grow tent manufacturer and a hydroponics manufacturer, whilst retaining the rights to sell consumer rigs to retailers and via our own website. 

Oh, yeah, and we will be pitching to every single agency looking to put humans in Space. 

I'm gonna buy The Arsenal. 

Edited by Spockydog

9 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Oh, thank you. 

A large global hydroponics manufacturing company recently offered a six-figure sum to buy my patent outright.

But I'm not selling.

My invention allows growers of cannabis, along with various food crops, to combine Deep Water Culture hydroponics with the Screen of Green growing method. These are by far the most effective, yield-maximising methods, and the simultaneous harnessing of both was widely viewed as impossible.

Until my invention.

So far, the Lazyscrog has been used to grow several massive crops, legal and otherwise. Some of the grow diaries are absolutely mad. And, yes, that really is just one plant. :D

We conducted a large survey of cannabis growers who use grow tents. 50% said they use some kind of horzontal trellis. Many have built DIY scrog solutions. 75% of all responders expressed interest in our product. 

One of the claims I have been granted is the exclusive sale of grow tents bundled with my device. The global grow tent market is experiencing rapid growth, and is expected to be worth £1.3bn in 2031.

Overall, the global hydroponics market is currently estimated at £22bn.

The device can also be installed in greenhouses, or just set up in the garden. The rig is completely modular, scalable, and can be deployed in various configurations. Neither is it restricted to DWC hydroponics. Growers preferring soil or coco can also order smartpot and airpot versions.

I am working with a City-based IP valuation firm to determine the true value of my patent.

I am currently leaning towards licencing it to a grow tent manufacturer and a hydroponics manufacturer, whilst retaining the rights to sell consumer rigs to retailers and via our own website. 

Oh, yeah, and we will be pitching to every single agency looking to put humans in Space. 

I'm gonna buy The Arsenal. 

I knew you were a serious horticulturist, but I had no idea.  Good job!

52 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

I knew you were a serious horticulturist, but I had no idea.  Good job!

Only since the first Covid lockdown. Until then, I didn't really know a thing about growing plants. 

But now, as well as being a bit of a home-growing expert, what began as a means of securing supply of my brother's medication during lockdown, has evolved into a potentially ground-breaking, mega-selling invention, that is in the process of changing both our lives. My brother funded all the R&D, and along with my mum, who fronted for the patents, we each own 33%.

Anyway, over the past couple of years, since I first started posting about this, I've had more than a few DMs asking for a sneak peak of my invention.

So can I just say, Hello there, redacted. I'll have you know that I am not, as you so eloquently put it, "a fucking liar". Nor am I "part of the problem of intellectual property fascism."

Anyway, look on my works, ye tosser, and despair. Then put this in your pipe and smoke it. Because imma gonna be rich.

An apparatus for maintaining a plant

Yes, this is my patent. The global version. It's even got my name on it. The whole thing is a matter of public record. Worldwide protection, baby.

Anyway, now my IP is fully protected, for everyone who has been patient and kind, thank you for your support. And I can now finally reveal my invention to the good people of the board.

*drum roll*

Well, here she is, prototype v5.2 of the The Lazyscrog in action, test growing tommies for astronauts. The videos give a good idea of what it's all about.

Lazytoms. Yum.

Edited by Spockydog