Hollywood STRIKES UPDATE: SAG AFTRA reaches agreement with AMPTP!

Mladen

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Anyone else boycotting films until the end of the Strike?

After I see Dead Reckoning Part 1 (which I've patiently been waiting to see for years), I'll be good for the rest of 2023 or until this strike ends. Whichever comes first.

4 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Haha he knows he’s working at warners now so he can safely criticise bob iger :lol: let’s see him say the same thing about Zaslav. 

Zaslav hasn't said anything stupid yet to attract public ire. Iger is being criticised for blatantly, and without any consideration of optics whatsoever, shoving his foot firmly in his mouth loudly and proudly. THAT is why he's the current target - because he's made one of himself. 

4 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Anyone else boycotting films until the end of the Strike?

The general feeling from the striker's side seems to be 'don't, unless and until the unions ask for it'. 

It makes sense: if films that are already made start tanking, actors are gonna lose out on money for work they already did. 

7 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

With DGA having reached a deal with the studios do you guys think it’ll prolong this strike ? The studios can still get non union actors and writers. 

As far as I understand, that would be scraping the bottom of the barrel. I am not sure how many non-union writers and actors are there in Hollywood (SAG, the union of actors, gathers 160k people). Even the writer-directors who are still working are making quite clear they will be doing only directorial, not writing work. 

If the studios and actors and writers do indeed clash horns for a while, I suppose studios will have to turn to international pool of talent. It is already clear, from the shooting of "House of the Dragon" Season 2 that production houses will be able to use foreign talent. How Equity in United Kingdom will deal with situation, it remains to be seen, but if HotD is any indication, we may see more British and European actors.

Studios are hoping to exhaust writers and actors. Naturally, these are people who do not earn millions, so it can be relatively easy for production houses to force them into accepting the terms by simply, as the rumor goes, "starving them". Apparently, studios work on clashing two guilds against each other. One option is to give in to writers' demands but then to play hard with actors (much cheaper tactics), pressurizing actors to end their strike.

The thing is that public sees actors as overpaid, which is the biggest problem for actors. But the reality is that only handful of people earn 8/9-figures and only several dozens of actors are earning 7-figures. I don't think there are 200/300 actors earning over $1M per year in Hollywood right now.  And that would be 0,001% of all actors.

3 hours ago, Mladen said:

As far as I understand, that would be scraping the bottom of the barrel. I am not sure how many non-union writers and actors are there in Hollywood (SAG, the union of actors, gathers 160k people). Even the writer-directors who are still working are making quite clear they will be doing only directorial, not writing work. 

If the studios and actors and writers do indeed clash horns for a while, I suppose studios will have to turn to international pool of talent. It is already clear, from the shooting of "House of the Dragon" Season 2 that production houses will be able to use foreign talent. How Equity in United Kingdom will deal with situation, it remains to be seen, but if HotD is any indication, we may see more British and European actors.

Studios are hoping to exhaust writers and actors. Naturally, these are people who do not earn millions, so it can be relatively easy for production houses to force them into accepting the terms by simply, as the rumor goes, "starving them". Apparently, studios work on clashing two guilds against each other. One option is to give in to writers' demands but then to play hard with actors (much cheaper tactics), pressurizing actors to end their strike.

The thing is that public sees actors as overpaid, which is the biggest problem for actors. But the reality is that only handful of people earn 8/9-figures and only several dozens of actors are earning 7-figures. I don't think there are 200/300 actors earning over $1M per year in Hollywood right now.  And that would be 0,001% of all actors.

Sadly this will play out the same way it does in sports lockouts. The people with the most money and control will likely win. Big stars can hold out, but the people who need to pay their rent and feed their families will have to cave. That's why the ownership class is so evil. They don't give a fuck about people while in the pursuit of money they probably won't ever even need or spend.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Sadly this will play out the same way it does in sports lockouts. The people with the most money and control will likely win. Big stars can hold out, but the people who need to pay their rent and feed their families will have to cave. That's why the ownership class is so evil. They don't give a fuck about people while in the pursuit of money they probably won't ever even need or spend.

And the worst part is that we know it is happening. The SAG-AFTRA President, Fran Drescher said that AMPTP just used the past two weeks of negotiations to make sure that "Barbie" and "Oppenheimer" (and the rest of the theatrical releases the next few weeks) get enough publicity. Basically, making sure their investment is safe and just prolonging the negotiations for their own benefit. 

Ron Perlman Calls Out Studio Exec Who Said Strike Will Cause Home Losses: ‘Be Careful, Motherf–ker’ (Video)

https://www.thewrap.com/ron-pearlman-calls-out-studio-exec-be-careful/

Actor Ron Perlman expressed his strong disapproval toward an unnamed studio executive who suggested, in an interview with Deadline on Tuesday, that the WGA strike should continue until union members face financial hardships and lose their homes.

In a now-deleted Instagram post, Perlman mentioned being aware of the executive’s identity and residence, cautioning him to exercise caution.

“One thing, before I get off this
… the motherf–ker who said we’re gonna keep this thing going until people start losing their houses and their apartments, listen to me, motherf–ker, there’s a lot of ways to lose your house. Some of it is financial, some of it is karma, and some of it is just figuring out who the f–k said that — and we know who said that — and where he f–king lives. There’s a lot of ways to lose your house. You wish that on people, you wish that families starve, while you’re making $27 f–king million a year for creating nothing? Be careful, motherf–ker. Be really careful, ’cause that’s the kind of s–t that stirs s–t up. Peace out.”

More details on the sticking points, particularly the fact that the claim that the AMPTP wanted to pay people for 1 days work and then own and use their digital likeness in perpetuity was  somewhat misleading.

I'll share the core of it:

Artificial intelligence
SAG-AFTRA is not seeking to ban AI, but wants to make sure that any use of a performer’s likeness to generate a new performance is done with compensation and consent. The AMPTP says it has agreed to that, but Crabtree-Ireland said the devil is in the details.

“It is a very craftily put together proposal that a layperson looking at it might not see all the holes in it,” he said. “There are huge gaps you can drive a Mack truck through.”

The union wants to require that a performer has to consent to any use of their performance to train an AI system. The AMPTP would accept that for AI training used to alter or recreate that performer’s likeness. But according to Crabtree-Ireland, the AMPTP would give studios carte blanche to train AI systems to create “synthetic” performers, or for other purposes.

SAG-AFTRA also wants studios to get union consent on individual uses of AI, which the studios have refused to grant. There is also the dispute over background actors.

So basically his broad claim was false -- no one's digital likeness is going to show up in other productions without their consent and their getting paid -- but it may be the case that in training up AIs a digital likeness could be used in the process of generating a synthetic likeness that they could use freely without consent, maybe, if they decided to do that.

Edited by Ran

Gotta admit though that CGI likenesses and digital de ageing looks horrible at the moment, suffering from a severe case of the uncanny valley. I wonder if audiences will ever accept this stuff , atleast for the next 10 years, if the studio does go down this route.  I miss the days of old age/young age makeup or just recasting actors…

On 7/23/2023 at 2:01 PM, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

These actors do realise that even getting paid a few hundred dollars per project in residuals(so free passive income)is more than what most people still make in a month right 

You do realise that residuals are a thing in the industry, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residual_(entertainment_industry)

Please try and remember that you have more in common with blue collar workers than you have with millionaires and billionaires. Support the people who make the industry happen, not the people who profit from their labors and don't share in the wealth.

On 7/23/2023 at 12:01 AM, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

free passive income

An entirely ignorant idea, that this is free and passive, but typical of the rentier classes of social media who believe that all the entertainment to which They are entitled to have on tap exactly when and as they demand it -- over which they are willing to fight pixel duels to the death -- arrives somehow, out of nothing, nowhere and nobody.

On 7/23/2023 at 12:01 AM, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

These actors do realise that even getting paid a few hundred dollars per project in residuals(so free passive income)is more than what most people still make in a month right 

Missing the grand old days of serfdom? Remember when the plantation owners…out of the pure goodness of their Christian hearts…would give the serfs a portion of the crop to eat/survive? And sometimes these ingrates would complain about the amount, or the flavour of blood, or whatever! Some thing never change, huh? 

Because almost no one in the system, except for the police, politicians, military, courts, bureaucrats, and press, ever take the side of Big Business. They probably feel a little safer, shudder a little less at every sound at night, knowing that people of vision like yourself have also got their back. Keep fighting the good fight!