Hollywood STRIKES UPDATE: SAG AFTRA reaches agreement with AMPTP!

Mladen

It’s kinda relevant since it explains the mindset of the studios and the reason for their cost cutting measures and push towards streaming which has partially led to this strike, so I thought I’d share this great NY Times article on the history of AT&Ts mishandling of Warner and why they’re in the red. Fascinating business case study :

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/19/business/media/att-time-warner-deal.html

And a GQ article on David Zaslav’s subsequent management style :

https://archive.ph/ftmBd

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

4 hours ago, James Arryn said:

Just admit you have a thing for Canadians. 

Don't leave out Australians and all the Latinas! 

I will say though since the WWC is going on, your 2015 team had a player on it who is one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen. Sesselmann is a show stopper, but guess what, technically an American! So suck it! 

My two cents on debate about Cruise and Iger.

As for Tom Cruise, people need to understand that he is not just one of the last "movie stars", but that he is also a producer of many of his movies, which is what brings his salary to outrageous sums. Better example of "just actor" would be the case of Robert Downey Jr who earned close to $100M per movie as Iron Man (estimates are that he earned circa $350M for his entire MCU gig). Now, we can agree with Gwyneth Paltrow who said that no actor should be earning that much, or with Tarantino who said that people go to see Marvel characters not the actors playing them. Simply, mega-popular stars who earn 10-figures simply don't deserve that much money.

But, it should also be noted that they are investment. You pay that much because your profit may skyrocket. You pay Di Caprio, Cruise, Pitt or Clooney because the calculation is clear: you get that money back (most of the time!). Now, is it fair that Bob Iger or any studio executives earn 10-figures? Well, same goes as with actors. No, they don't. But ultimately, it is up to them whether studio will earn billions or lose them.

The big question is not whether they deserve the millions but whether the supporting actors, writers and the rest of the crew deserve more. And they most certainly do. The problem is that business model changed and that big studios are using this to take money from creative workers. We all know that Scarlett Johansson had to sue Disney for their attempt to evade paying her more money by releasing "Black Widow" early on Disney+. This case is particularly interesting because it touches on an important issue for actors who strike today - how studios use streaming services to evade paying the residuals. 

And the first big "victim" of the strikes studios refusing to pay actors and writers fairly are Emmy Awards. So far, Venice, New York, Telluride and Toronto Film Festivals go as planned. The only movie to withdraw from Venice Film Festival is "Challengers" by  Luca Guadagnino, starring Zendaya. 

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/emmys-airdate-actors-writers-strike-1235681067/

25 minutes ago, Mladen said:

And the first big "victim" of the strikes studios refusing to pay actors and writers fairly are Emmy Awards. So far, Venice, New York, Telluride and Toronto Film Festivals go as planned. The only movie to withdraw from Venice Film Festival is "Challengers" by  Luca Guadagnino, starring Zendaya. 

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/emmys-airdate-actors-writers-strike-1235681067/

*Keanu Voice*

"Woah!"

6 hours ago, Mladen said:

Ohh no, stop.........please...........come back.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Agree that VFX artists need unionization; admit I was kind of surprised they're not included under IATSE. 

13 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Good for them, they’re the real victims in this industry

There's plenty of exploitation going around in this industry and those adjacent, and they're all real. Video games for instance can be particularly heinous on employees and staff come crunch.

Edited by JGP

Last night we were hanging out for a while with a friend back in the US for a while. She's a Haitian American actress.  She was trying to plan to do something with us in the late fall, but wasn't sure of her dates, due to the shooting schedule of a film she's in.

Partner says, "But aren't you on strike?"

She laughed. "Silly Americans.  This is in France.  The film is a French production.  It is being shot in France.  This US strike has no affect on us, other than for good.  Netflix and Amazon for years have been pouring money into international and European productions.  The less the US is doing the more they have this product and the more they finance. And they're not the only ones."

Actually, I knew this -- which is why I didn't ask Partner's stupid question. That will teach him about not to paying attention to streaming.  Ha!  :lol:

Edited by Zorral

Yes, Netflix and Amazon have been paying a lot of money into international productions. A lot of money would be a relevant term as most of those productions are considerably cheaper than US productions. However, La Casa del Papel, DARK or Squid Game showed us that they can make a hit. 

At this moment, I think Netflix is doing more than 20 series and movies in Turkey. There was a huge scandal with Disney+ and their cancellation of commissioned project "Ataturk" about Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, the founder of modern Turkish Republic, ordered for 100th anniversary of Republic. Someone in Turkey is hindering the project, simultaneously accusing Armenian and Greek lobby in States. It's a total clusterf**k. Needless to say, Disney+ really failed in Turkey. 

European, Asian, South American etc. production may feel some benefits of US strike, but most people don't pay Netflix for some obscure French, Brazilian or Turkish drama. Both Netflix and Amazon most watched projects are mostly US-produced (with several exceptions) 

Regardless of international content and pouring more and more money into internationally local markets, at the end of the day, people are still more interested in the likes of Stranger Things, Boys, Bridgerton or even Rings of Power. 

2 hours ago, Mladen said:

Regardless of international content and pouring more and more money into internationally local markets, at the end of the day, people are still more interested in the likes of Stranger Things, Boys, Bridgerton or even Rings of Power. 

However, those shows won't be there, or anywhere.

I do recall when the new stuff stopped after the long hiatus for pandemic, we did get a lot more shows from other countries, and I enjoyed that and found good things, including series from Poland and so on.  A great deal of what is made here has no appeal for me to start with.  I quit Stranger Things early on, and I have quit Boys after the latest season, have no plans to watch the new one.  Gross, horror, ugly, people bashing, booming, bloodying all over the place is not my idea of entertainment.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the big problems for Hollywood execs is that they may have to pay workers abroad fairly too. Believe it or not.

And as for how little do the Writers' Guild actually demands, here is an estimation compared to the annual revenues of all major studios:

Tom Fontana is furious. And thinks you should be, too.
The veteran TV writer, on his fourth writers strike in 40 years, is fighting to save the profession that gave him a legacy

Recall: w/o Tom Fontana there likely would never have been The Wire.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2023/09/01/tom-fontana-hollywood-writers-strike/

.... Now, in 2023, shows that define his legacy — “Homicide,” Showtime’s “City on a Hill” — can’t be found on any streaming service, because it’s cheaper for the companies to act like they don’t exist, according to Fontana. Streaming provided an explosion of opportunity at first, but profits dried up along with the pool of potential subscribers. The dual strike is happening in part because companies focused on cost-cutting measures like shorter seasons and smaller writers rooms. There are more shows, says the Writers Guild of America, but fewer opportunities for a sustained career as a writer.

“There’s a lot of head-scratching going on at these media corporations, trying to figure out how to get out of the hole they dug themselves in,” Fontana says. “Part of the way they want to get out of the hole is to make us pay for it. They made mistakes, and they want us to pay for them.” ....

.... Today’s signs, wrapped in rain-resistant protective plastic, are particularly colorful — protesting in solidarity are animation writers, most of whom don’t qualify for the writers guild but face similar issues. Slogans include: “Do the write thing” and “A.I. doesn’t have to pay rent. I do.” Drawings depict Beavis and Butt-Head (“We want uhhh … fair wages … yeah, heh-heh …") and Spider-Man (“Animation writers assemble!”). ....

.... Walker currently portrays a fire chief on NBC’s “Chicago Fire,” and actual firefighters often work as extras. The actor envisions a scenario in which a studio exec swings by, offers a few bucks to the extras, and suddenly owns their likenesses.

“They might not realize they could be used in any shape or form, and they don’t own anything,” Walker says. “They’d own your face and your voice for 50 bucks.”

Fontana’s face wrinkles at the thought.

He’s pissed off, again. ....

• 4 weeks later...