Star Wars: Critical Divide (This is the way)

Myrddin

I wanna make clear I don't really think that scene isn't particularly a big deal. Like the others are right, in context it is clear she's into him overall, and there's history- honestly if you changed 'no' to different irritated dialogue it'd play fine. Compared to other scenes of the genre (including Harrison Ford's other scenes of the genre) it's barely a thing. 
I just brought it up coz I thought Ser Rodrigo bringing that scene up as a big criticism of TLJ but not that one was... well, a double standard. 

14 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I wanna make clear I don't really think that scene isn't particularly a big deal. Like the others are right, in context it is clear she's into him overall, and there's history- honestly if you changed 'no' to different irritated dialogue it'd play fine. Compared to other scenes of the genre (including Harrison Ford's other scenes of the genre) it's barely a thing. 
I just brought it up coz I thought Ser Rodrigo bringing that scene up as a big criticism of TLJ but not that one was... well, a double standard. 

That’s fair, certainly I think something like ‘I was just a child’ from raiders is pretty eye brow raising even at the time.

I do however think this scene in ESB is actually pretty great, and does so much to illustrate the tension between the pair, in a way that modern movies would be terrified of doing because it would no doubt illicit a huge over reaction on the net ( I’m pretty sure there is a huge over reaction to this scene on the internet anyway) 

Edited by Heartofice

56 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

That’s fair, certainly I think something like ‘I was just a child’ from raiders is pretty eye brow raising even at the time.

Yeah and Blade Runner is... really quite bad, though it gets away with it coz Blade Runner is meant to be moody, weird and dark, so you can read it as purposeful. Apparently it wasn't though- seems like it was originally a straight romantic scene but they didn't feel there was enough chemistry between the actors so they changed it to what it was. 

58 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I do however think this scene in ESB is actually pretty great, and does so much to illustrate the tension between the pair, in a way that modern movies would be terrified of doing because it would no doubt illicit a huge over reaction on the net

I think if you removed the words 'stop that' (having rewatched for the actual lines) from that scene there wouldn't be any kind of an issue at all. 'My hands are dirty' immediately after is a great line and would have got the sentiment across without having him ignore her first rebbutal, which is where any problem lies. Like I say, in itself and compared to others it's minor, tiny even- but I do get why it comes up in the wider context of 'no-no-yes' in films. 

That is very nitpicky analysis, but hey, that's what writing should be like tbh so... 

Oh, on another note from the last thread: the idea of James Gunn as the director of the ST instead.  I don't feel it. He's obviously proven extremely good at both space opera and found families, and he'd undoubtedly have done a better job than Abrams, so I get the appeal- but I think his tone is too snarky,irreverent and referential for a mainline SW. 

I could see him do a spinoff- heck, a Gunn-helmed Solo could have worked, although that is because there's a direct line from Han to Firefly to Gunn's concept of Guardians so he'd be rehashing a beat/closing a circle there. But I'm not sure about the main event. 

I wanted Matthew Vaughan to do one for a fair while, but he's gone a bit shit recently. Mind you, he's finally off the Mark Millar train with his next project, albeit it's still a spy comedy action thing. Be interesting to see how that goes, though. Also notice he's apparently not working with Jane Goldman anymore. 

1 hour ago, Relic said:

Wtf are we actually debating here? Are we bored? 

We're on a message board originally dedicated to a book series that has not had a new addition tothe main series for twelve years.

The answer is: Yes.

So I've seen all the Mandalorian and Book of Boba Fett episodes but I've not seen any SW animated shows. 

Scale of 1 - 10 with 10 being absolutely completely necessary...

From what you gather about it, before I watch Ahsoka, should I watch Rebels first? 

Or any other cartoon series?

Don't really want to get into having to watch 100 or more episodes of cartoons but around a dozen or so episodes of something I could handle.

19 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

From what you gather about it, before I watch Ahsoka, should I watch Rebels first? 

Ahsoka is, well, it's Rebels season 5 in all but name, so yes, I recommend watching Rebels first. It's not a big ask, thankfully, due to short episode lengths making it easy to get through in a relatively short amount of time.

4 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

So I've seen all the Mandalorian and Book of Boba Fett episodes but I've not seen any SW animated shows. 

Scale of 1 - 10 with 10 being absolutely completely necessary...

Or any other cartoon series?

Don't really want to get into having to watch 100 or more episodes of cartoons but around a dozen or so episodes of something I could handle.

This list has it down to 10, with some bonus ones if you had more time:

https://www.gamesradar.com/ahsoka-the-clone-wars-rebels-essential-episodes-star-wars/

Ahsoka (the show) seems fairly unique in that its entire premise is following on from Rebels, as close to a straight sequel as the Filoni stuff has done.

1 hour ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

These guys sum up my feelings on Rogue One and why it’s so boring:

https://youtu.be/Kc2kFk5M9x4

Dude, we get that you don't like Rogue One. We really really get it.

But literally no one has asked you to try and convince the rest of the world to agree with you. So please, stop with the annoying fucking proselytisation, it's offically become annoying. And citing right wing edgelord red pill clickbaiters like the dickbags from Red Letter Media is not doing you any services. 

So *enough already*. PLEASE.

19 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

And citing right wing edgelord red pill clickbaiters like the dickbags from Red Letter Media is not doing you any services. 

Hmm,  not really an accurate description of what they do at all. If you’d said ‘tedious overlong and running out of steam group of nerds’ I’d agree with you,  but they aren’t right wing edgelords at all. 

2 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Hmm,  not really an accurate description of what they do at all. If you’d said ‘tedious overlong and running out of steam group of nerds’ I’d agree with you,  but they aren’t right wing edgelords at all. 

I've tried watching some of their stuff and that's about all I've felt like they had to offer - this sort of tedious mockery of fans, and this kind of edge-lordy "let's mock the popular shit" 'tude that verges on appealing to our worst or basest instincts. That, as well as this modern day nonsense habit of looking for plot holes in everything because they can't begin to fathom how anyone could choose to behave in ways contrary to their own. 

Again, that was my reading of them, and it felt tired, stale, and tedious and frankly, insulting. 

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Yeah running out of steam, definitely... also they love to complain about something being derivative when they see that as the issue, but then when something comes along that doesn't work while trying something different their go to criticism is "why didn't they make it more like __________?"

Still love their "re:view" videos though. 

But right wing edgelord? Don't see it at all.

2 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

I thought as prequel haters, you guys would love the plinkett reviews ? 

How on earth anyone sits through a fucking hour of him doing that voice is beyond me. And I say that as someone who doesn’t mind their other stuff, I loved watching their Picard reviews. 

Cosmonaut Variety Hour holds the crown for prequel take downs for me. I’ve watched it like four times now, it’s like crack to me in a sea of “well the PT may not X, but at least they Y” (where X is the very basics of the first hurdles of making a coherent story, Y is some bullshit).

2 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

How on earth anyone sits through a fucking hour of him doing that voice is beyond me. And I say that as someone who doesn’t mind their other stuff, I loved watching their Picard reviews. 

Cosmonaut Variety Hour holds the crown for prequel take downs for me. I’ve watched it like four times now, it’s like crack to me in a sea of “well the PT may not X, but at least they Y” (where X is the very basics of the first hurdles of making a coherent story, Y is some bullshit).

Okay but I’m a prequel fan btw , I saw them as a kid and loved them.