Star Wars: Critical Divide (This is the way)

Myrddin

5 hours ago, Relic said:

3. He'll come great you personally. 4. Will only bring a couple of guards. 

Depending on the crew size and given that they needed to leave the brig and armory staffed, that may have been the entire available security detachment. Also given that Jedi are pretty much wiped out and no sith are known to exist, it’s less unreasonable than you’re making it out to be. 

Still, spreading out and having weapons drawn was maybe a better choice. 

12 minutes ago, hauberk said:

Depending on the crew size and given that they needed to leave the brig and armory staffed, that may have been the entire available security detachment. Also given that Jedi are pretty much wiped out and no sith are known to exist, it’s less unreasonable than you’re making it out to be. 

Still, spreading out and having weapons drawn was maybe a better choice. 

Not to be too anal but...let me be anal. The ship was some sort of New Republic transport vessel with four hanger bays. You're telling me a ship that size has 4 person (one of which is a fish man who can't hold a blaster) security response team? 

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Unidentified_New_Republic_transport

It's just bad writing, mate. I dunno. I'll shut up about it now. 

Edited by Relic

1 hour ago, hauberk said:

Even more reason not to let the mysterious so-and-so’s on your ship. 

7 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Even more reason not to let the mysterious so-and-so’s on your ship. 

What about arresting the mysterious so-and-sos for attempting to access a high security vessel under false identities? That's a lot easier if you let them dock first, and more sensible than just telling people who probably have nefarious plans to go away. It was entirely reasonable for the captain to expect his security forces to be a match for the crew of a much smaller vessel, and if it was a suicide ship, they could have just rammed it without bothering to dock. I don't see the problem.

3 minutes ago, felice said:

What about arresting the mysterious so-and-sos for attempting to access a high security vessel under false identities? That's a lot easier if you let them dock first, and more sensible than just telling people who probably have nefarious plans to go away. It was entirely reasonable for the captain to expect his security forces to be a match for the crew of a much smaller vessel, and if it was a suicide ship, they could have just rammed it without bothering to dock. I don't see the problem.

Same. 

2 hours ago, felice said:

With what? The five guys you brought with you? 

Remember A New Hope? Two scenes that spring to mind are the opening with the blockade runner and the star destroyer and the Falcon and the Death Star: 

Land? Nope. We’re going to tractor your ass and put you where we want. I get that they were running away but still.

Disembark? Wrong again. We’re coming in when we’re good and goddamn ready. And by “ready” I mean lots of guys with guns; and even more guys backing them up with more guns. 

Seriously, have these people never seen a video of a traffic stop? 

ETA… or crossed the border? Try pulling up to a booth at the US/Canada border, then get out of your car unprompted to speak to a customs agent. That’s a good way to spend the next few hours in a room with no windows. And that’s if they think you’re not Al Qaeda. 

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Seriously, have these people never seen a video of a traffic stop? 

A cute young white girl and a middle-aged white dude getting stopped by the cops?  If that's the scenario, the captain would have welcomed them aboard and given them free range of the vessel.  No light-saber fighting required.

1 hour ago, felice said:

The US is not a good model for how this should work! :P

How about a sovereign citizen arrest? I love the part when the tasers come out. As soon as that guy (it’s usually a guy) yells, “I do not consent!”, get ready to ride the lightning, Sunshine.

Also the single best thing to happen to the auto glass industry since the invention of auto glass. 

Just came back from my vacation and watched the episodes. I liked it, I liked it a lot. But it is basically Rebels season 5 with Ahsoka as protagonist, so I don't know how people who haven't watched Rebels feel about this massive influx of new characters. 

I'm willing to give them time to reveal more of this past Ahsoka-Sabine relationship and why it even happened in the first place. I liked Sabine's conversation with Huyang where he basically said that she sucked at being a Jedi. And of course I hope we understand more about Baylan's motivations and his apprentice. Ray Stevenson has been great. RIP

The episodes so far had some minor callbacks to all three trilogies, which I wonder if it was all Filoni's idea or other LucasFilm execs wanting that. Of course, the whole map thing is a bit like TFA, except I trust Filoni way more than Abrams in terms of delivering a satisfying conclusion to a quest storyline.

Edit: Should also add that Kevin Kiner's score has been great so far. 

Edited by Corvinus85

On 8/23/2023 at 12:19 PM, Werthead said:

The main threat of the season is interesting:

Hide contents

A mega-hyperspace bridge capable of intergalactic travel? Interesting to get more development of that as an idea, and how the hell Thrawn ended up out there. Can those whales travel between galaxies?

Spoiler

Is there an actual galactic bridge or did the map just draw a straight line currently between two planets? It seems to me that the ship Morgan has been building was designed to travel much faster than any other ship to cover the great distances between galaxies.

I do like that they are involving another galaxy, with whatever aliens might be there, and that is a reasonable explanation for why Thrawn couldn't be involved anymore in the Galactic Civil War while keeping him alive.

Reading from some of the comments here, I guess it's impossible for a good guy ship captain to be as incompetent as an already established standard bad guy ship captain, so it's all just bad writing. I would like to point out that the captain firmly believed the newcomers were a bunch of con guys posing as Jedi. He had about 6-8 security guys with him which probably would have been sufficient against a couple of pirates if they had been just pirates. 

If there is one thing that a writer of these types of stories can maybe learn from the very real Ukraine war, is that there is no level of incompetency to which a military officer can't stoop.

9 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Reading from some of the comments here, I guess it's impossible for a good guy ship captain to be as incompetent as an already established standard bad guy ship captain, so it's all just bad writing. I would like to point out that the captain firmly believed the newcomers were a bunch of con guys posing as Jedi. He had about 6-8 security guys with him which probably would have been sufficient against a couple of pirates if they had been just pirates. 

If there is one thing that a writer of these types of stories can maybe learn from the very real Ukraine war, is that there is no level of incompetency to which a military officer can't stoop.

It's not that it's impossible; it's that relying on your enemy to be stupid in order for your scheme to work is not a great thing in general, it's not nearly as entertaining as bad guys outsmarting or overpowering talented guys, and it's quite frankly lazy - especially if you've not established said incompetence in the past. 

It's absolutely the case that people can be dumb and in high positions of power. It's just not particularly fun or interesting to watch. 

1 hour ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

It's not that it's impossible; it's that relying on your enemy to be stupid in order for your scheme to work is not a great thing in general, it's not nearly as entertaining as bad guys outsmarting or overpowering talented guys, and it's quite frankly lazy - especially if you've not established said incompetence in the past. 

It's absolutely the case that people can be dumb and in high positions of power. It's just not particularly fun or interesting to watch. 

Precisely.  Plan for the worst.  Hope for the best.  If you have overkill available when the “fake jedi” show up… that’s just good planning.

24 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Precisely.  Plan for the worst.  Hope for the best.  If you have overkill available when the “fake jedi” show up… that’s just good planning.

Also why is the captain himself doing the arrest? In Star Trek that would be the chief of securities job; Worf, Odo, Tuvok and so on. In the SW’s universe do captains also serve as chief of security; if so that seems like very poor management, lol

Edited by sifth

10 minutes ago, sifth said:

Also why is the captain himself doing the arrest. In Star Trek that would be the chief of securities job; Worf, Odo, Tuvok and so on. In the SW’s universe do captains also serve as chief of security; if so that seems like very poor management, lol

Nah, in Star Wars it was whoever was the main star's job.  Shatner totally would have been down there in a fist fight to the death with the Jedi.

Just now, Rhom said:

Nah, in Star Wars it was whoever was the main star's job.  Shatner totally would have been down there in a fist fight to the death with the Jedi.

Yea, Star Trek writing got a lot smarter since the 60’s, lol

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

He did have overkill for imposters.