Star Wars: Critical Divide (This is the way)

Myrddin

20 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Haha and then Disney fired poor Rick the moment they got Star Wars hence his ‘retirement’ from Lucasfilm.I always wondered though why George didn’t just appoint Rick rather than Kathy as Lucasfilm president.. he’d been closely working with him on all his projects  for over 30 years at that point. 

To be fair to Kennedy she has an excellent CV as a producer. That doesn’t necessarily mean it would translate to looking after a whole franchise but she seemed well qualified. That’s why I think the problems are much bigger than her, but maybe a stronger better candidate would have been able to resist the tide of terrible influences affecting Disney movies.

30 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Haha and then Disney fired poor Rick the moment they got Star Wars hence his ‘retirement’ from Lucasfilm.I always wondered though why George didn’t just appoint Rick rather than Kathy as Lucasfilm president.. he’d been closely working with him on all his projects  for over 30 years at that point. 

He wasn't fired. If you'd bothered doing even a basic level of fucking research, you'd know that. 

https://gizmodo.com/producer-rick-mccallum-did-not-survive-the-lucasfilm-to-5963413

11 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

maybe a stronger better candidate would have been able to resist the tide of terrible influences affecting Disney movies.

The MCUification did have many people concerned. Especially after that Wired article that talked about having a Star Wars movie per year, which seemed....a touch excessive.

4 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

The MCUification did have many people concerned. Especially after that Wired article that talked about having a Star Wars movie per year, which seemed....a touch excessive.

I’m sure a lot of this is pure business decisions: ‘ we need this much income each year so need to keep milking the SW cow / we are launching a streaming service and need to fill it with something anything’ rather than sensible creative decisions. 

I think the link is at pains to say that he wasn't "fired" in the sense that someone told him, "You're fired," but he was basically quietly let go. Hence the apparent fact that there was no press release so that it required a podcaster to reveal the news as an aside. 

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

Eh? Doesn’t that link suggest he WAS fired?

The wording is a bit wonky and inconsistent within the article, but the general consensus was he clearly had a rapport with Lucas and co., and when there was clearly going to be a change in the guard, he opted out. 

He company, new management, good time to go and do something new. 

And McCallum had nothing but praise for Kennedy and made it clear he interested in doing other things (see also here: https://ew.com/article/2012/12/02/star-wars-rick-mccallum-leaving-lucasfilm/)

Look, I don't think much of the guy, but it's incredibly gross, mean-spirited, and really, kinda assholeish, to take joy in someone supposedly losing their livelihood. 

Was I glad he moved on? Absolutely. But was he fired? Absolutely not. He's too high level a figure to have it work the way it would for some shit-kicking grunt. 

1 minute ago, Ran said:

I think the link is at pains to say that he wasn't "fired" in the sense that someone told him, "You're fired," but he was basically quietly let go. Hence the apparent fact that there was no press release so that it required a podcaster to reveal the news as an aside. 

Much like we might get told at work "your contract isn't being renewed". Which is not the same thing as being fired. There are contacts with clauses and stipulations and gods knows what else here to which we aren't privy. 

But it's not the same thing as being fired unceremoniously like you've just been tossed from working the checkout counter at Market Basket or something. 

3 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I’m sure a lot of this is pure business decisions: ‘ we need this much income each year so need to keep milking the SW cow / we are launching a streaming service and need to fill it with something anything’ rather than sensible creative decisions. 

More than likely, yeah. And the business needed to recoup a $4.05 billion purchase - which it since has. 

Buddy I’m from the corporate world and when I used the word fired I didn’t mean a literal termination of services. Nowadays, unless it’s a sex scandal or a limited restructuring ,when companies want to get rid of people they’re usually coerced into resigning which is what happened to Rick to avoid legal action and bad press.

Using euphemisms like ‘let go’ dosent really change the actual action and consequences. Disney didn’t want him there basically.

It’s pretty clear from the articles that had he a choice in the matter ,he would’ve liked to continue working at Lucasfilm.  Not renewing his contract again implies they didn’t want him and amounts to the same thing. 

Also I’m not taking any joy in his being kicked out of  the company, I was just curious on George’s decision to choose Kathy over him.

Also would appreciate if you tone down the swearing, I haven’t used strong language even once, would appreciate the same if we can keep this a civil discussion without moderation intervention and you’ve been doing this for sometime in all your responses against me. 

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

16 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

17 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Buddy I’m from the corporate world and when I used the word fired I didn’t mean a literal termination of services

If that's what you meant, then be more clear with your language. As stated by someone who also works in corporate comms. 

23 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Also I’m not taking any joy in his being kicked out of  the company

"Haha and then Disney fired poor Rick"

The only takeaway from that sentence is the schadenfreude writ large. 

Edited by IlyaP

On 7/16/2023 at 2:12 AM, IlyaP said:

Is that from the time he had Copolla, Spielberg, and a few others present to review a rough cut of A New Hope?

Brian DePalma rewrote the opening crawl a little.

On 7/16/2023 at 7:01 AM, IlyaP said:

Much like we might get told at work "your contract isn't being renewed". Which is not the same thing as being fired. There are contacts with clauses and stipulations and gods knows what else here to which we aren't privy. 

But it's not the same thing as being fired unceremoniously like you've just been tossed from working the checkout counter at Market Basket or something. 

It’s not unusual to make a few people redundant in an acquisition like that.

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Man...it only takes a Twitter debate trending on Rise of Skywalker's rank as worst SW movie to make a person appreciate the downright civility of the debate here...

Yeah this thread has really confirmed to me that nobody hates Star Wars more than Star Wars fans. 

• 2 weeks later...

Donald Glover to Write 'Lando' Star Wars Series on Disney+
Glover will co-write the series with his brother as 'Haunted Mansion' director Justin Simien exits the project.

https://collider.com/lando-star-wars-series-donald-glover-writing/

Lando is back baby! Donald Glover, who played a younger version of the iconic Star Wars character in Solo, is set to pen the series with his brother Stephen Glover. The series has been in the works at Disney+ for quite some time. When Lando was first announced in December 2020, Haunted Mansion director Justin Simien was attached, but he has since exited the project according to Above the Line.

The swashbuckling friend of Han Solo (Harrison Ford), Lando Calrissian was first played on screen by Billy Dee Williams in The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Glover took over in the prequel one-shot Solo and will likely reprise the role in the upcoming series.

25 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Donald Glover to Write 'Lando' Star Wars Series on Disney+
Glover will co-write the series with his brother as 'Haunted Mansion' director Justin Simien exits the project.

https://collider.com/lando-star-wars-series-donald-glover-writing/

Sweet! He was one of the best parts of Solo, I’m hoping Emilia and Alden will have extended cameos if not a greater role.Solo , along with Mando S1 and TFA were the somewhat enjoyable Disney SW flicks.