Star Wars: Critical Divide (This is the way)

Myrddin

1 minute ago, Raja said:

I'm all for people liking what they like

For example, Tokyo Drift is my favourite Fast and furious movie

Karate Kid in cars, what's not to like?

Also Sonny Chiba's nod at the end is the best piece of acting in the entire series and one of the two inspirations for me and my brother's tradition of 'collecting' seconds-long pieces of acting that totally outshine the film they're in.

13 minutes ago, Raja said:

I'm all for people liking what they like

For example, Tokyo Drift is my favourite Fast and furious movie

I love everything in this movie, from the fantastic Brian Tyler score, to Sonny fucking Chiba, to the presence of Bow Wow (WHAT) to the terrific cinematography by Stephen F. Windon, who worked on Star Trek Beyond and other Justin Lin movies. The whole thing is just ::Mwah::. Chef's kiss.

20 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

tbh sounds like what you want is Firefly. 

I love Firefly as a theoretical concept but dislike it due to its civil war coding and horrible rape plots (thank fuck we never got season 2, the scripts that Jane Esperson talked about for that one were...awful). It was a terrific, stacked cast, with amazing production and design, and very much Of Its Time. 

But I will always prefer Farscape, as that's the show that's always going to be nearest and dearest to my heart.  

2 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

the scripts that Jane Esperson talked about for that one were...awful

I dunno about those, but I know about the vetoed plot Whedon came up with where Inara kills a bunch of reavers by poisoning her vagina and being gang-raped by them. 

Finding out about that was my first clue that Whedon might be a bit of a twat. 

3 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I dunno about those, but I know about the vetoed plot Whedon came up with where Inara kills a bunch of reavers by poisoning her vagina and being gang-raped by them. 

Finding out about that was my first clue that Whedon might be a bit of a twat. 

I think that's the one I read about. It just...Jeezus Murphy, who the hell writes something like THAT and says to themselves "Yeah, this is fine". 

1 hour ago, Raja said:

Would have loved to see Michael K Williams in a star wars movie though, it's a shame we didn't get that

I'll never forgive Kathleen Kennedy for firing Lord and Miller. They gave us two amazing Spider Verse films and were going to give us Michael K Williams as a lizard man. They also filmed around 80 to 85% of the film, before she threw away all their hard work and had Ron Howard reshoot it; talk about a waste of money.

8 minutes ago, sifth said:

I'll never forgive Kathleen Kennedy for firing Lord and Miller. They gave us two amazing Spider Verse films and were going to give us Michael K Williams as a lizard man. They also filmed around 80 to 85% of the film, before she threw away all their hard work and had Ron Howard reshoot it; talk about a waste of money.

The numbers are correct but the context isn't quite. Per Variety, "When Howard came aboard, it was mandated that 85% of Lord and Miller’s “Solo” be reshot, including second unit material. Howard’s work ultimately comprises 70% of the finished film." The (roughly) 70% estimation seems to crop up again and again everywhere I've looked, but there's no clear picture of how much Lord and Miller shot before they were let go. What we do know is that he assembled cameras, crews, and takes far more quickly than L&M, and his shoot extended production by four months. 

17 minutes ago, sifth said:

The strange thing is she never tried to rein in Rian Johnson the same way. Or JJ for TROS.So it’s clearly a lack of judgement on what works and what dosent.That more than anything is worrisome for future projects but tough to say who’d be a good alternative to her. My dream fantasy would be Spielberg but he’s more of a director at heart and doesn't have any interest in it anyways. 

5 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

@Werthead can attest to how awesome KOTOR would be as a movie :D the story is the closest you can get to taking the best parts of the OT and the PT. And yes, for the purposes of adaptation, they can honestly eliminate some side stories and characters to focus in on the leads and their story. As pointed out by Ran, TLOU can serve as a template.

KotOR is probably the best Star Wars story outside of the OT and certainly has the second-best plot twist in the entire saga. My only major issue with adapting KotOR is that the basic story could feel reductive, especially after The Force Awakens.

Spoiler

Two space powers clash, a Sith lord is opposing the Republic, the Jedi are sort of in hiding, there's a lot of skullduggery on a city-planet and the story ends with a massive space battle around a gigantic space station which threatens the entire galaxy.

Adapting KotOR 2 with the same sort of intelligence and maturity as Andor would also be interesting, but I'm not sure it would fly with Disney due to its grey take on the Force morality. 

Because KotOR is so far removed from the timeline of the main saga, you could also fully adapt it properly, instead of having to awkwardly shoe-horn EU elements into Nu-Canon constraints, as they're having to do with Thrawn.

The strange thing is she never tried to rein in Rian Johnson the same way. Or JJ for TROS.So it’s clearly a lack of judgement on what works and what dosent.That more than anything is worrisome for future projects but tough to say who’d be a good alternative to her. My dream fantasy would be Spielberg but he’s more of a director at heart and doesn't have any interest in it anyways. 

The obvious person to take over is Filoni, although I get the feeling that would be less unanimously praised a choice then it would have been a few years ago. Favreau might be more likely.

Because they kind of suck and no one cares about them

I said many years ago that the final verdict on the Nu-Canon would come down on whether it was better or not than the EU. I feel eleven years in, we still can't say for sure. The EU had Kevin J. Anderson but the Nu-Canon has Chuck Wendig (before he was fired), who is far worse. The EU gave us The Crystal Star (urrrgh) but the Nu-Canon has given us Rise of Skywalker and somehow fucked up both an Obi-Wan mini-series and a Boba Fett story. The Nu-Canon has given us RebelsThe Bad Batch and a great conclusion to The Clone Wars (which began under the EU).

In terms of novels, despite the aforementioned disasters, the EU did also give us a ton of great books by the likes of Zahn and Matt Stover. The Nu-Canon's novels have been terrible to okay, but rarely good and never great. Although the NC has been straitjacketed by having to adhere to the movies and TV shows, and it's clear the writers of those projects do not give a flying shit about the novels and comics. The NC's continuity has been a total fucking mess in comparison (and the EU did tie itself in knots at times).

In terms of video games, the EU is so far ahead of the NC that it doesn't even exist on the same qualitative plain. It has X-Wing and its sequels, Dark Forces and its sequels, Knights of the Old RepublicRepublic Commando and almost too many other great games to name. The NC has given us Jedi Fallen Order and Jedi Survivor, which are okay, and Squadrons, which is great but far too short.

The EU did give us The New Jedi Order, which was a fantastic central idea (the galaxy being invaded by a powerful alien race immune to the Force) but had a very bizarre idea of execution (the aliens are pain-loving kink freaks very definitely not suitable for a family audience). I do wonder if the NC is perhaps moving in a similar direction, but the invading aliens will be from the Unknown Regions and won't resemble the Yuuzhan Vong in any way.

Edited by Werthead

5 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

The strange thing is she never tried to rein in Rian Johnson the same way. Or JJ for TROS.

It's not really that strange. They weren't turning their film into improvisational comedy. Lord and Miller were hired to make a specific film from a specific script and insisted on turning it into something else. As much as hindsight says maybe they should have gone with what they were thinking, you clear that sort of thing before you sign on, not try to sneak it by the producers and try to leave them no option. 

Johnson on TLJ hardly needed 'reigning in'. A bit of fat-trimming maybe, some correction of how Luke's arc was written sure, but it's a good film. 

7 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Johnson on TLJ hardly needed 'reigning in'. A bit of fat-trimming maybe, some correction of how Luke's arc was written sure, but it's a good film. 

Why do you do this? Why? You know Sargeant Chuckles von Brainflush is just going to latch onto this and spew out all the latest nonsense he picked up from the Youtube channels that generated his edgelord-wannabe of a personality.

18 minutes ago, Raja said:

I love the spiderverse movies, but no movie is worth treating your staff poorly

Holy shit.

"As a result, these individuals say, they were pushed to work more than 11 hours a day, seven days a week, for more than a year to make up for time lost and were forced back to the drawing board as many as five times to revise work during the final rendering stage."

I'm sorry, but...eleven hours a day, seven days a week? My union would be having fucking kittens if someone tried to push this on us. This is a fucking labor law violation and everyone involved should be compensated heavily and the people in charge given project managers to whom they report to immediately. 

This article is painful to read from a pure human abuse perspective. No art, I don't care how awesome, should be built on the back of human misery and suffering. I mean, this quote alone is why I left the videogame and publishing industries (fuck me this sounds way too close to home): "What that means is you have artists who feel extremely vulnerable. Sony lowballs them on their salary with the promise that overtime pay will boost their income to the level that it should be. You have people living in a really expensive city who have bad job security, who don’t know what’s ahead of them. And then they’re put in a position where the production is pressuring them to work all of their waking hours and to basically keep their chin up while the conditions are really, really shitty because if they don’t keep their chins up — if they don’t work hard — then who knows if they’ll be kept around?"

This all smacks of the worst kinds of project management and toxic environments to me. And this is why we need stronger unions in every single goddamn industry. (I'm currently pleased as hell, as a side-note, that the Financial Services Union finally got ANZ to course-correct, a change long needed.)