Jump to content

Star Wars: Critical Divide (This is the way)


Myrddin
 Share

Recommended Posts

Yeah, Anthony Ingruber was born to play young Han Solo. Nothing against Alden Ehrenreich, and I got used to the performance over time, but he's ... pretty short and just comes off very different.

Solo is a deeply mediocre film, very paint-by-numbers. It's competently made but inspires nothing in me. I still think putting Qi'ra in a femme fatale role rather than just being on Han's side all the time would have improved things. The first act went on too damned long, too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Nah, i never hated George. Grew up on the prequels.Don’t hate Kennedy either but I’d like new leadership at Lucasfilm once her contract expires because I think Disney can find better management who’ll at least form a concrete roadmap for the new set of movies.Filoni like Wert suggested, or even Feige if he’s up to it. JJ did the best he could with the mess that was TLJ and TFA, while derivative, was the best of the sequels IMO. 

Disagree on TFA. While I did like it at the time of its release, JJ's sloppy writing, worldbuilding, and tendency to rely on mystery box bullshit in that movie was a problem the other movies had to and, in many cases, failed to overcome. It's one thing to write by the seat of your pants and figure things out as you go, but if you're setting up mysteries, maybe figure out where they're going to. The movie is also absolutely filled with random conveniences and no sense of scale for how big space actually is. 

Maybe this is an issue with the other writers, but considering these are issues that plague other JJ Abram's works, I think that it's fair to blame JJ for that.

As for George Lucas, yeah I never hated him either but it sure seemed like a lot of the SW fans on the internet did. 

6 minutes ago, Relic said:

Look, let's all rewatch Solo together. I guarantee you that's its not as bad as you remember. It's not "good" but it's also not laughable, and there are at least 3 performances in it that are above average (glover, woody, Droid). 

Yeah I don't hate Solo. It sure is a bit of a needless film, but it was fun. Not great but certainly not as bad as its box office performance and much of the internet might think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Relic said:

Look, let's all rewatch Solo together. I guarantee you that's its not as bad as you remember. It's not "good" but it's also not laughable, and there are at least 3 performances in it that are above average (glover, woody, Droid). 

It’s a great airplane movie which,considering the rest of the Disney films,is a huge compliment :P 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Durckad said:

Disagree on TFA. While I did like it at the time of its release, JJ's sloppy writing, worldbuilding, and tendency to rely on mystery box bullshit in that movie was a problem the other movies had to and, in many cases, failed to overcome. It's one thing to write by the seat of your pants and figure things out as you go, but if you're setting up mysteries, maybe figure out where they're going to. The movie is also absolutely filled with random conveniences and no sense of scale for how big space actually is. 

Maybe this is an issue with the other writers, but considering these are issues that plague other JJ Abram's works, I think that it's fair to blame JJ for that.

As for George Lucas, yeah I never hated him either but it sure seemed like a lot of the SW fans on the internet did. 

Yeah I don't hate Solo. It sure is a bit of a needless film, but it was fun. Not great but certainly not as bad as its box office performance and much of the internet might think.

Fair enough, I don’t consider TFA good either, just that’s it’s better than the other episodic films.I respect Johnson for trying something different, but that film just fails on too many levels for me.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Irvin Kershner and Gary Kurtz delivered Empire above budget (by some 8 Mn) and over time.Johnson shouldn’t get a pass for a sloppy,shitty script IMO

Not saying he should get a pass, but that is 100% why lord and Miller got fired - because they were and are horrible at product management.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Relic said:

Leave this thread and do not return until you've seen it. 

I would watch it, but I'm nowhere near home, in a sun-drenched country pub with the missus! 

But I will watch it this week. (I struggle with non-movies, due to horrific ADHD that makes squirrels look positively chill by comparison.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Relic said:

Look, let's all rewatch Solo together. I guarantee you that's its not as bad as you remember. It's not "good" but it's also not laughable, and there are at least 3 performances in it that are above average (glover, woody, Droid). 

I agree, I never got the hate for it either. It's a perfectly forgettable good times at the movies and it does nothing to seriously detract from your enjoyment of the originals. That's a high-bar to clear for most other properties in Disney SW.

 

7 hours ago, JGP said:

Just me, but I'd rank Andor as the second top SW property period

It's a bit too early since Andor is unfinished, but if it stays on the same level or improves further you'd be very comfortable in that claim I think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I'm surprised to see y'all so confident putting Andor ahead of Empire, given that Matthew Woodring Stover's Traitor is clearly the best Star Wars story. 

 

I...you beautiful human being. You can absolutely stay. Traitor was a goddamn feast and is one of the best SW books ever written.

I buy copies of that and Heroes Die and hand them out to any friends who haven't yet read them. Regularly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I own everything Matt's ever written. His novelisation for Revenge of the Sith redefined how we ought to use the term "home run", as he hit the ball into another goddamn galaxy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

I'm surprised to see y'all so confident putting Andor ahead of Empire, given that Matthew Woodring Stover's Traitor is clearly the best Star Wars story. 

 

Id wager that Shatterpoint works better amongst Matt Stover’s Star Wars books as a standalone novel,but if you follow the NJO series, Traitor is hands down the best. When’s that man writing the next Caine ! 

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just chiming in to say that I, too, remember Dark Forces - the original was one of the first real games a young star wars obsessed me ever played on our shitty home computer that couldn't handle anything better and when we finally got a new family computer Dark Forces II blew my little mind, the expansion for which introduced me to the magnificent Mara Jade who went on to become my favourite EU character. Her exclusion is amongst the most grievous of the crimes committed in the Disneyverse (Kyle's too of course). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Haha those agonising but ultimately rewarding hours playing as Kyle Katarn with a mere blaster in Jedi Outcast until you finally get the good stuff ! Really enjoyed Luke’s characterisation in Outcast and Jedi Academy as well. 

9 minutes ago, Poobah said:

Just chiming in to say that I, too, remember Dark Forces - the original was one of the first real games a young star wars obsessed me ever played on our shitty home computer that couldn't handle anything better and when we finally got a new family computer Dark Forces II blew my little mind, the expansion for which introduced me to the magnificent Mara Jade who went on to become my favourite EU character. Her exclusion is amongst the most grievous of the crimes committed in the Disneyverse (Kyle's too of course). 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...