Watched, Watch, Watching: Pink Bombs

Corvinus85

Went to see Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part 1. Not as good as Fallout, but still up there. Too many musical transition scenes. A lot of gorgeous women in this one. Hayley Atwell is a great addition and Pom Klementieff was pretty good in her smaller role. The big base jumping and train scene was pretty solid, but I think I still prefer the helicopter chase scene from Fallout.

My theater had a power surge and the movie got stopped abut 2/3 in. They couldn't restart it so they gave us a free ticket and I went back to the next showing but I timed it so I would get there about 10 minutes before the spot in the movie where it stopped. That of course it meant that, sigh..

Spoiler

I got to see Rebecca Ferguson die twice. I knew it was coming even the first time but I still hated it as I liked her character, too.

I'm going to go watch her now in Silo. I'm sure she'll be fine in that joy of a show.

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

My theater had a power surge and the movie got stopped abut 2/3 in. They couldn't restart it so they gave us a free ticket…

That’s the deep state. We’re through the looking glass here people. 

-

Plane was pretty good. A pretty basic action movie. Gerard Butler and Mike Colter make for a pretty good on-screen duo.

Started watching Succession. Once you wrap your head around how everyone is an amoral sociopath, it’s a pretty engaging show. 

ETA: I’m getting the feeling that the guy who barfed out the eyes of his mascot costume in the first episode is going places.

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

I broke my 90s binge with the help of Ridley Scot. The latest trailer for his new Napoleon film reminded me of the fact that there is a film of his I had never watched and which is set in the Napoleonic era, The Duellists, his debut from way back in 1977.

This film has been on my watchlist for ages, but I somehow never got around to it. Big mistake as it turns out, because I absolutely adored it. Ridley had been making a lot of commercials before he started this film, which is the only explanation I can give for how assured his directing of his first film is.

It's gorgeous throughout (especially the final scenes of the film, which will stick with me for a while) and it does an excellent job evoking the spirit of the era through its costumes, hairstyles and locations. The actors are great in it of course, the fencing is amongst the most impressive I have seen and the story is possessed of a narrative propulsion that is a hallmark of the best Ridley Scot films.

Given the budgetary constraints Ridley was working on, this was a tour de force and is definitely worthy of comparison to his other historical epics that came later.

He's made a few atrocious films and one or two overrated classics, but when Ridley Scot gets it right, he hits the bull's eye big-time. 

Have to disagree. I watched it for the first time not that long ago and really enjoyed it. The movie is slow as hell, I can't argue against that, but it's really interesting as things unfold. It's not an all-time great in my book, but it's one of the better movies that takes place in a sub. 

Coming back to @Tywin et al.'s comment from the last thread, the bolded is not saying much. There are like 10 well-known films set on a submarine? :P

@Veltigar

Neither of the discussed films are, of course, on the level of Das Boot. Amazing film.

The Duellists is indeed excellent. I do wonder what the one or two overrated Ridley Scott classics are, though.

As to what I'm watching, the latest Righteous Gemstones ended on a truly bonkers note. Giving Eastern Promises a run for its money...

And also the other day I rewatched Paul Thomas Anderson's There Will Be Blood. Everyone was firing on all cylinders on that film -- the score, the cinematography, the direction... and of course the acting. Paul Dano was incredible, and Daniel Day-Lewis was beyond incredible, inhabiting one of the most misanthropic characters ever put to the screen.

1 hour ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

The gladiator is extremely overrated and kingdom of heaven (directors cut) is underrated. I’ve heard Legend is great but I haven’t seen it. 

I think Ridley Scott is mostly remembered as the 'historical epic guy' these days because of those big movies, and it's easy to forget just how varied his filmography is, and how many smaller, quite good movies are in there (an a few odd stinkers).

I remember Matchstick Men being pretty good at the time.. but White Squall.. GI Jane?! The Councellor?  Ugh.

I didn't realise Black Rain was his, and 1492 is never discussed. 

I guess he has just done far more movies than I even noticed, and they aren't all using the Gladiator template.

Edited by Heartofice

3 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I think Ridley Scott is mostly remembered as the 'historical epic guy' these days because of those big movies, and it's easy to forget just how varied his filmography is, and how many smaller, quite good movies are in there (an a few odd stinkers).

I remember Matchstick Men being pretty good at the time.. but White Squall.. GI Jane?! The Councellor?  Ugh.

I didn't realise Black Rain was his, and 1492 is never discussed. 

I guess he has just done far more movies than I even noticed, and they aren't all using the Gladiator template.

Agreed , I could’ve brought up Thelma and Louise as well if I wanted to discuss his filmography, but the idea was to mention his overrated films , so that’s why I mentioned  Gladiator. 1492 has a great soundtrack but other than that it was a miss for me. I get that kingdom of heaven is high profile but it deserves more love than it got. His more low key movies were all pretty well received in comparison

1 hour ago, Ran said:

@Veltigar

Neither of the discussed films are, of course, on the level of Das Boot. Amazing film.

The Duellists is indeed excellent. I do wonder what the one or two overrated Ridley Scott classics are, though.

As to what I'm watching, the latest Righteous Gemstones ended on a truly bonkers note. Giving Eastern Promises a run for its money...

And also the other day I rewatched Paul Thomas Anderson's There Will Be Blood. Everyone was firing on all cylinders on that film -- the score, the cinematography, the direction... and of course the acting. Paul Dano was incredible, and Daniel Day-Lewis was beyond incredible, inhabiting one of the most misanthropic characters ever put to the screen.

Yeah but it sucks PTA never made anything as good as Punch Drunk Love or There will be blood again….all his movies post that have been pretty flawed (even if they are interesting)

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

41 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Agreed , I could’ve brought up Thelma and Louise as well if I wanted to discuss his filmography, but the idea was to mention his overrated films , so that’s why I mentioned  Gladiator. 1492 has a great soundtrack but other than that it was a miss for me. I get that kingdom of heaven is high profile but it deserves more love than it got. His more low key movies were all pretty well received in comparison

I agree with your original point. I never loved Gladiator, it feels like a lot of his movies, it's goodish, looks pretty and has big performances from quality actors.. but it doesn't always satisfy and the story is plodding.

Kingdom of Heaven's directors cut is a big improvement, but it's not even underrated because its been an open secret on the net since it was released.

So i think he's made a lot of 'good' movies, but it's been a very long time since he made a great one.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

@Veltigar

It's been years since I last saw Das Boot, so I don't really have a clear memory of it. I'll put it back on my watchlist. I know they turned it into a new series recently, which I caught bits and pieces off, but it never quite grabbed me.

As to the overrated classics from Ridley Scot, I can assure everyone that it's certainly not Gladiator. That film is a priceless marvel. I think the most overrated Ridley Scot films are Blade Runner (although it did gave us a great sequel) and the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven. Similar to the LOTR extended cuts, the KoH ratio of bloat v. fixed plot holes is not good enough to merit its existence in my opinion. 

3 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Tony > Ridley and Man on Fire is at least as good a revenge movie as Gladiator.

I mean, it's hard to choose between the brothers. Tony did gift us Top Gun after all. Crimson Tide is also excellent. In general however, I think his hit/shit ratio is lower than Ridley's. 

Watched Prey, after it was pointed out that it got several nominations for the Emmys. I'm not a huge Predator fan, beyond the original film, but this film is certainly the best thing since that one.  It was tropey and silly at parts, as these sorts of films tend to be (the hatchet-on-a-rope was wildly overuseful) , but Amber Midthunder made an appealing protagonist as Naru and Dakota Beavers as Taabe was quite good as her stoic warrior brother (Wikipedia tells me the screenwriter claims that Taabe's spirit would be reincarnated as Billy Sole from the original film.)

I especially liked the end credit sequence, depicting the story in the style of ledger art... and then hinting that their success in killing the first Predator leads a bunch of others signing up to try their luckk hunting the most dangerous game. Bonus points for letting the dog live.

Edited by Ran

11 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Went to see Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part 1. Not as good as Fallout, but still up there. Too many musical transition scenes. A lot of gorgeous women in this one. Hayley Atwell is a great addition and Pom Klementieff was pretty good in her smaller role. The big base jumping and train scene was pretty solid, but I think I still prefer the helicopter chase scene from Fallout.

My theater had a power surge and the movie got stopped abut 2/3 in. They couldn't restart it so they gave us a free ticket and I went back to the next showing but I timed it so I would get there about 10 minutes before the spot in the movie where it stopped. That of course it meant that, sigh..

Reveal hidden contents

I got to see Rebecca Ferguson die twice. I knew it was coming even the first time but I still hated it as I liked her character, too.

I'm going to go watch her now in Silo. I'm sure she'll be fine in that joy of a show.

Spoiler

That's brutal. I was fairly sure it was going to happen going into the film so I wasn't surprised. Between Silo and now Best Served Cold (Abercrombie flick), wasn't sure when she'd be able to carve out the time if they wanted to do another movie right after this. Plus I think if Cruise finishes his run after Part 2, not sure she has a part to play given how closely her character is to his.

It's too bad though. She was one of my favorites.

ETA: The train sequence was "inspired by" Uncharted 2. Literally shot for shot in some spaces.

Edited by Mexal

59 minutes ago, Ran said:

(Wikipedia tells me the screenwriter claims that Taabe's spirit would be reincarnated as Billy Sole from the original film.)

Man, that spirit has shit luck.

7 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I broke my 90s binge with the help of Ridley Scot. The latest trailer for his new Napoleon film reminded me of the fact that there is a film of his I had never watched and which is set in the Napoleonic era, The Duellists, his debut from way back in 1977.

This film has been on my watchlist for ages, but I somehow never got around to it. Big mistake as it turns out, because I absolutely adored it. Ridley had been making a lot of commercials before he started this film, which is the only explanation I can give for how assured his directing of his first film is.

It's gorgeous throughout (especially the final scenes of the film, which will stick with me for a while) and it does an excellent job evoking the spirit of the era through its costumes, hairstyles and locations. The actors are great in it of course, the fencing is amongst the most impressive I have seen and the story is possessed of a narrative propulsion that is a hallmark of the best Ridley Scot films.

Given the budgetary constraints Ridley was working on, this was a tour de force and is definitely worthy of comparison to his other historical epics that came later.

He's made a few atrocious films and one or two overrated classics, but when Ridley Scot gets it right, he hits the bull's eye big-time. 

Coming back to @Tywin et al.'s comment from the last thread, the bolded is not saying much. There are like 10 well-known films set on a submarine? :P

Ridley Scott has has made so many movies that it's hard to keep track of them sometimes. But I'd rank The Duellists as one of his best of his even after looking at his filmography at Wikipedia to refresh my memory.