Gerwig's Barbie

IheartIheartTesla

Despite how it might look, I don’t think it’s a bad movie. I quite enjoyed bits of it, and I reckon a lot of people can go into it, ignore most of the deeper messaging and stay for the bright colours and fun performances.

It’s just you shouldn’t try and think about anything in the movie because that’s where it has quite a few problems 

11 minutes ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

I am hugely disappointed to hear that a movie based on a 70 year old toy franchise is not a perfect distillation of the themes of hope and nihilism in the face of existentialist dread.

Shame on you, hollywood.

It’s always such an odd thing to say, as if the movie is just this lightweight piece of fluff with no pretensions. I suspect anyone who comes with this angle just hasn’t seen it. 

7 hours ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

I am hugely disappointed to hear that a movie based on a 70 year old toy franchise is not a perfect distillation of the themes of hope and nihilism in the face of existentialist dread.

Shame on you, hollywood.

But it’s not a fun fluffy movie for kids either, so it fails on both counts

21 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

But it’s not a fun fluffy movie for kids either, so it fails on both counts

Welp, you're welcome to explain that to the dozens of kids - boys and girls and everything in between - at our local cinema who dressed up for Barbie and walked out of it on cloud 9 and full of beans and energy, talking about how much they loved X, Y, Z song, dance number, costumes, sight gags, etc. 

Edited by IlyaP

2 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Welp, you're welcome to explain that to the dozens of kids - boys and girls and everything in between - at our local cinema who dressed up for Barbie and walked out of it on cloud 9 and full of beans and energy, talking about how much they loved X, Y, Z song, dance number, costumes, sight gags, etc. 

One row of kids in my theatre screening left before the movie ended along with their parents so it’s been a pretty mixed reactions with families imo. Maybe failure was too strong a word I guess. 

I actually enjoyed this movie enough for what it was but if you think this film will touch children in any way similiar to how one felt watching Finding Nemo or another Pixar/Disney classic or even a film like Frozen, you’re being delusional…most of this film will fly over their heads 

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

3 hours ago, IlyaP said:

I remember walking out of Teenwolf 2 when I was young, with my friends, talking about how amazing it was, the best movie ever!!! Not sure kids are the best barometer of a movies quality. Having said that, my own daughter told me to turn off the new Little Mermaid movie because it was ‘boooring’, so they aren’t totally clueless.

Im sure there is plenty in Barbie for kids to pay attention to, the songs, the sets and costumes. I have to wonder what they were thinking while the movie was talking about the Patriarchy or when it was just scenes of middle aged women complaining about how tough it is to be a middle aged woman.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

I remember walking out of Teenwolf 2 when I was young, with my friends, talking about how amazing it was, the best movie ever!!! Not sure kids are the best barometer of a movies quality. Having said that, my own daughter told me to turn off the new Little Mermaid movie because it was ‘boooring’, so they aren’t totally clueless.

And now some useless trivia for you: Teen Wolf Too is Jason Bateman's first movie. (How Can I Tell If I'm Really in Love doesn't count, as it was a PSA), and actor James Hampton is the only actor from the series to have appeared across both movies and the animated series. And it also featured Gomez himself, John Astin. 

Toldja! Useless trivia! :D 

Im sure there is plenty in Barbie for kids to pay attention to, the songs, the sets and costumes. I have to wonder what they were thinking while the movie was talking about the Patriarchy or when it was just scenes of middle aged women complaining about how tough it is to be a middle aged woman.

In my experience, when a kid doesn't understand something fully, they just zone out on it - kinda like...do you have friends who enjoy Star Trek but when the technobabble get thick and heavy, their eyes glaze over and their brain checks out until it's over? (I do this too, much to my partner's chagrin.) It's kinda like that. 

4 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

In my experience, when a kid doesn't understand something fully, they just zone out on it - kinda like...do you have friends who enjoy Star Trek but when the technobabble get thick and heavy, their eyes glaze over and their brain checks out until it's over? (I do this too, much to my partner's chagrin.) It's kinda like that. 

Yeah I’ve seen this in action, I clearly used to do it as a child too, given the amount of adult movies I saw when I was younger, which would only make sense years later.

There is a limit to how much a kid will put up with though, there has to be enough sparkly fun stuff to keep their attention. So I guess the Barbie movie does that quite well, whilst also doing some heavy handed political stuff at the same time 

10 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Yeah I’ve seen this in action, I clearly used to do it as a child too, given the amount of adult movies I saw when I was younger, which would only make sense years later.

Like, every single Soviet movie my parents tried to shove down our throats. Like Gentlemen of Fortune, which flew completely over my head and I was sitting there bored out of my flippin' skull.

10 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

There is a limit to how much a kid will put up with though, there has to be enough sparkly fun stuff to keep their attention. So I guess the Barbie movie does that quite well, whilst also doing some heavy handed political stuff at the same time 

It's a movie that can play differently for different audiences, to an extent, I guess, the way that Princess Bride, Stardust, and Star Wars all do, where they can ignore the subtext or commentary in favor of ALL THE SHINY OBJECTS WHEEEEE!!

5 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

I actually enjoyed this movie enough for what it was but if you think this film will touch children in any way similiar to how one felt watching Finding Nemo or another Pixar/Disney classic or even a film like Frozen, you’re being delusional…most of this film will fly over their heads 

Pretty much everyone I know who went to go see it before I did said ‘yeah this isn’t a movie for your kids’. And it’s really not. To be fair, there are lots of Barbie movies and cartoons out if they wanna go watch something pink.

But this is maybe one of the most overtly political blockbuster movies I’ve ever seen ( not that you’d even suspect it from the trailers). Sure there are lots of movies these days that try and throw in a comment here or there or the subtext is making a point about one issue or another, but Barbie is in your face with its politics, the fun Barbie stuff is just the vehicle for the serious stuff. It’s mostly a movie for people like Gerwig and Robbie, not your kids.

26 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Pretty much everyone I know who went to go see it before I did said ‘yeah this isn’t a movie for your kids’. And it’s really not. To be fair, there are lots of Barbie movies and cartoons out if they wanna go watch something pink.

*shrug*

I met parents who'd shown their 9 year old kid Die Hard. And during my trivia show, he drew me a comic of the movie,  with blood, guns, et al, and included (of course) the words "Yippee Kiyay motherfucker", and I still can't decide if that's bad parenting or awesome parenting. 

So I don't know that humanity is ever going to reach a consensus on whether or not Barbie is age appropriate, given that every parental duo/pod is going to have their own and inevitably differing opinions on these things. 

Gee, if only there was some kind of system where some people watch the movie and give it a number or a letter grade that corresponds to an age group or something…

When I was like, five? Maybe six? I saw Alec Guinness cut off a guys arm in a bar fight. 

A fantasy film with no nudity, little to no profanity, and no drug references. The kids can handle it. 

7 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Gee, if only there was some kind of system where some people watch the movie and give it a number or a letter grade that corresponds to an age group or something…

When I was like, five? Maybe six? I saw Alec Guinness cut off a guys arm in a bar fight. 

A fantasy film with no nudity, little to no profanity, and no drug references. The kids can handle it. 

Barbie is PG-13 right? So it’s not a kids movie. But then that rating is more based on some of its saucy language rather than whether the content is likely to go over their head. 

54 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Barbie is PG-13 right? So it’s not a kids movie. But then that rating is more based on some of its saucy language rather than whether the content is likely to go over their head. 

To be fair the OT and Indiana Jones would be rated PG13 today for sure if that rating had existed back then 

Yeah, that's not true at all. It might not be a super young kid's movie, but PG-13 is targeted pretty much right at the 7-14 range and just assumes you should be seeing it with an adult. 

All of the marvel movies are PG-13, and I don't think anyone would claim those aren't for kids.

25 minutes ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

Yeah, that's not true at all. It might not be a super young kid's movie, but PG-13 is targeted pretty much right at the 7-14 range and just assumes you should be seeing it with an adult. 

All of the marvel movies are PG-13, and I don't think anyone would claim those aren't for kids.

Marvel movies are for everyone, and some elements of them really aren’t for young kids. That’s why they are PG13, it’s a caution for parents, the 13 is also pretty indicative of the sort of age range.

What I mean by ‘kids movie’ is it’s not a movie specifically for young children, and it’s not, and I don’t see Marvel movies as just ‘kids movies’ either in that regard. 

3 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Marvel movies are for everyone, and some elements of them really aren’t for young kids. That’s why they are PG13, it’s a caution for parents, the 13 is also pretty indicative of the sort of age range.

What I mean by ‘kids movie’ is it’s not a movie specifically for young children, and it’s not, and I don’t see Marvel movies as just ‘kids movies’ either in that regard. 

Okay, but you were saying this when you said 'Pretty much everyone I know who went to go see it before I did said ‘yeah this isn’t a movie for your kids’. And it’s really not. To be fair, there are lots of Barbie movies and cartoons out if they wanna go watch something pink.'

And that's not really accurate - both of the rating and of the actual movie. 

16 minutes ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

Okay, but you were saying this when you said 'Pretty much everyone I know who went to go see it before I did said ‘yeah this isn’t a movie for your kids’. And it’s really not. To be fair, there are lots of Barbie movies and cartoons out if they wanna go watch something pink.'

Yeah my kids are young.