Gerwig's Barbie

IheartIheartTesla

2 hours ago, IlyaP said:

...huh?

Nicely disguised adult cynical gags under a cheerful facade. Tried to justify what Barbie has been all along (the daughter's monologue). But the ultimate boiling down to a gender conflict and resolving about how to find your identity didn't really work for me.

On 7/29/2023 at 7:51 PM, Zorral said:

Tom who? What's Dead Reckoning?

You joke, but I've heard nothing about DR. No good, bad, or anything. Nothing. Granted, I was in no hurry to watch it, as I've all but forgotten when happened in the previous few installments and wanted to rewatch first, but damn. Top Gun sequel makes bank and Tom's prize franchise just sizzles out?

1 hour ago, Myrddin said:

You joke,

Not really. I don't ever think about Cruisey  except his appalling twitching and jigging in The Color of Money. And DR and TG certainly aren't/weren't on my radar at all.  This is why we needs lots of different films because most of what is offered isn't interesting to most of us, one way and other, due to we all being different. :cheers:

15 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

resolving about how to find your identity didn't really work for me.

Dude, what you got against a plastic babe finding her vagina and becoming a person, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?  :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, Zorral said:

Dude, what you got against a plastic babe finding her vagina and becoming a person, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?  :thumbsup:

That wasn't all it was about. These days in the process of embracing everything feminine I feel all masculinity is being undermined. Sure there are a lot of toxic fucks around, but popular media representation now is all about how anything male equals patriarchy. The 'desirable' male qualities shown according to Barbie are subservient pretty giggling airheads. If that's the female fantasy, shrug. 

10 hours ago, Zorral said:

She what?!? I think I want to see it now. 

2 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

That wasn't all it was about. These days in the process of embracing everything feminine I feel all masculinity is being undermined. Sure there are a lot of toxic fucks around, but popular media representation now is all about how anything male equals patriarchy. The 'desirable' male qualities shown according to Barbie are subservient pretty giggling airheads. If that's the female fantasy, shrug. 

Maybe this movie about made-up plastic toy people shouldn’t be taken that seriously. 

We will survive. We will rise above.

21 hours ago, IlyaP said:

"Hey remember that time Liam Neeson was in a movie with Rhianna and that guy from Friday Night Lights?"

I just realized that the projectiles from the alien ship look just like the pegs from the game. Because I’m an idiot. 

Clearly this movie is operating on levels I hadn’t realized.

I'm aware that TLW is one of the younger contributors to the forum so I'll cut him some slack on that absurd "Aw, it's tough to be a guy now" schtick. Masculinity is alive and well and it needs not be toxic. For the record, complaining about undermined masculinity is incredibly unappealing to pretty much everyone.

54 minutes ago, Raja said:

Completely nonsensical post here.

One would have to be completely insecure in their masculinity to feel this way about 'popular media representation'.

After around, oh, I don't know, thousands of years of men being not just in charge of the entire world but also having a monopoly on representation in history, culture, entertainment and so on, you'd think a mere 2 decades of more focus on female representation wouldn't spark this level of panic. It also doesn't have to be either/or, in fact. 

@TheLastWolf, I know you're Indian (hello, fellow South Asian!) and I've seen my share of Bollywood movies - isn't it a welcome change to have female characters who aren't relegated to sexy-sari-rain-dance sequences? :P