X (née Twitter): Elmo has no good ideas

Week

29 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I feel like this is a “new Coke” moment…

But if he wants to take an instantaneously recognizable trademark and light it on fire because he can?  Well, I guess he can?  If I were dumb enough to have collateralized my debt in part with twitter’s IP, I would be PISSED OFF.

There's not many other instances of devaluing your own brand on a scale like this, but this goes so far beyond even new coke lol. It feels like if they'd tried to call new coke "New" with blue or yellow as the dominant color.

Except even that doesn't manage to cover the fact that the "X" logo isn't even a logo, it's just literally the capital X from a specific font pack that I believe isn't even licensed in a way to allow it to be used like that.

Oh, and the rebranding is rushed through in a 36 hour window encompassing 2 nights because it's clearly an insomnia decision with no real prior planning.

Threads sees active users drop 70% in two weeks

https://www.rawstory.com/threads-sees-active-users-drop-70-in-two-weeks/

.... The latest figures relating to Threads don't necessarily bode well for Meta. For the second week running, its number of daily active users is down, falling to 13 million. According to Sensor Tower, this represents a 70% drop from the peak on July 7. ....

54 minutes ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

To be clear tesla is doing pretty amazingly well, especially outside the US. The model Y was the top selling car in the world for a bit - not electric car, any car. It's not as profitable as it was but it is making record revenue, and virtually every electric car company is now adopting their plug tech and making deals to use the charging network.

SpaceX is private so it's not perfectly clear how well its doing, but even with its recent stupidity it is doing decent to great, especially with the success of starling.

To be fair I now own a tesla because of Musk's incredible run of stupidity that drove down tesla prices by 25% in one year. But it's also the case that it's doing fine, though it is also absurdly overvalued.

Not the best selling points or reason to believe the company is going in the best direction. 

32 minutes ago, JGP said:

I'm not either, anymore. But was then.

Being able to curate your experience became increasing difficult, then impossible. Bye bye, birdy.

I still don't get why he killed people's ability to look at it without an account. They could still track viewership and use that to negotiate ad prices. It's a weird situation in which he seems to be doing everything wrong. 

44 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not the best selling points or reason to believe the company is going in the best direction. 

I still don't get why he killed people's ability to look at it without an account. They could still track viewership and use that to negotiate ad prices. It's a weird situation in which he seems to be doing everything wrong. 

I don’t think Elon is stupid per se. He’s got a gift for recognizing exploitable technological niches, I’ll give him that. Monetizing social media requires an understanding of people however, and he’s definitely out of his depth there. Social intelligence and EQ ain’t in his toolset.

I don’t know if I’d hazard a guess, but perhaps a directional hint can be gleaned from his intention to allow users to hide their likes.

In looking at the public pronouncements about what the rebrand means for the business (such as tweets from Linda Yaccarino), the answer is a content-free "everything"?

"X is the future state of unlimited interactivity — centered in audio, video, messaging, payments/banking — creating a global marketplace for ideas, goods, services and opportunities," 

If there is a big idea here it is to take a place that at its best was the global public square and turn it into a global marketplace.  

Leaving aside whether this is a good idea or not, it just seems like this is an exceedingly difficult task to execute because you are talking about competing with Spotify, OnlyFans, Youtube, Amazon,Ebay, Facebook/Whatsapp, Venmo simultaneously for a userbase that's already proved very resistant to paying a nominal sum for your service. 

Zuckerberg had a big (bad) idea that the metaverse was going to be the new Matrix and threw a ton of resources at it, and it still flopped catastrophically because the market didn't want what he was selling.  That too was the "future state of unlimited interactivity" as he saw it.  

Elon is obviously super cheap and easily distracted and he's like, move over Sir Tim Berners-Lee, the "world wide web" is a lousy name, let's call this thing "X".  LOL.  

56 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

To force people to download and use the app as a first step to becoming a verified user.  Lots of people (including me) were reading tweets with no intention of ever registering as a user.  It did result in me downloading the app, so it partly fulfilled its function.  

You’re probably closer than I am, Gaston, but I also suspect Musk is revolted by the idea of his peers/institutions/corporations getting dragged by the hoi polloi for their comments, likes, words, ideologies, etc. 

The free market of ideas abhors judgment.

Edited by JGP

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's literally what Amazon and apple did to be bigger - increase market share and revenue at the cost of current profits.

Don't get me wrong - I think the cyber truck is a massive failure and tesla will likely get overtaken by other competitors who know how to build things at scale better - but the idea that no one wants to buy a Tesla right now is about as wrong a take as you can get. Tesla (the brand) isn't as hot as it was but more people are buying or wanting to buy Teslas now than they literally ever have before by a large margin.

23 minutes ago, JGP said:

I don’t think Elon is stupid per se. He’s got a gift for recognizing exploitable technological niches, I’ll give him that. Monetizing social media requires an understanding of people however, and he’s definitely out of his depth there. Social intelligence and EQ ain’t in his toolset.

I don’t know if I’d hazard a guess, but perhaps a directional hint can be gleaned from his intention to allow users to hide their likes.

Musk is really talented in a couple of areas. However he's not very gifted in numerous others. A smart person recognizes that. The idiot savant wrongly assumes he or she is just great at everything. That's Elon. He makes so many decisions that the average person could recognize as being incredibly dumb. Like ya know, how every person said buying Twitter for $44B was one of the worst business ideas ever. 

18 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

To force people to download and use the app as a first step to becoming a verified user.  Lots of people (including me) were reading tweets with no intention of ever registering as a user.  It did result in me downloading the app, so it partly fulfilled its function.  

It made me less likely to want to download it, especially when you consider what's happened to the site. I only used it for three reasons, (i) podcast links which I can get elsewhere, (ii) posting funny shit here and (iii) sports and news updates I can also find elsewhere. It sucks I can't post funny things here I find people send out, but I'll live without the site that has become friendly to white nationalists. Frankly everyone should as well. Twitter always sucked. Elon just sped it up to its worst destination. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

15 minutes ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

It's literally what Amazon and apple did to be bigger - increase market share and revenue at the cost of current profits.

Don't get me wrong - I think the cyber truck is a massive failure and tesla will likely get overtaken by other competitors who know how to build things at scale better - but the idea that no one wants to buy a Tesla right now is about as wrong a take as you can get. Tesla (the brand) isn't as hot as it was but more people are buying or wanting to buy Teslas now than they literally ever have before by a large margin.

But they're fundamentally different companies. 

And when I said no one wants one I'm talking about the people in my life and especially the gear heads. There's no interest in Tesla and that's across the political and just general taste in cars spectrum. Perhaps I underestimated their popularity in other countries, but here, not a single drop of interest which is surprising because many of my friends and family are wealthy liberals who would in theory want one and be able to afford it. 

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

But they're fundamentally different companies. 

And when I said no one wants one I'm talking about the people in my life and especially the gear heads. There's no interest in Tesla and that's across the political and just general taste in cars spectrum. Perhaps I underestimated their popularity in other countries, but here, not a single drop of interest which is surprising because many of my friends and family are wealthy liberals who would in theory want one and be able to afford it. 

Probably an anecdotal fluke considering how popular they are right now.  Seems like most of my customers have an EV now and most of those are Tesla's.

7 hours ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

Right.  There's no doubt Tesla did many things right in developing its electric car.  

I'll also note that other companies that innovated (like Toyota) inexplicably wasted their opportunity.  I owned a 2010 Prius in the UK back when it was pretty much the only hybrid on the market and it had top-of-the-line tech including this really cool holographic display that would show up on your windscreen so you didn't have to glance down at your GPS.  When I bought a 2015 Prius in the States, it was like a completely different car with none of the handling or tech my car had 5 years previously.  They standardized and mass-marketed it and made every additional feature a paid or model upgrade.  Tesla created a very cool product and it remains, frankly, the best car on the market if you can afford it that I've seen.  

But, when Elmo bought it, Twitter was the only product on the market.  Now it has Threads, Substack, Bluesky, Mastodon, Post and others racing to compete with it.   

2 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Right.  There's no doubt Tesla did many things right in developing its electric car.  

I'll also note that other companies that innovated (like Toyota) inexplicably wasted their opportunity.  I owned a 2010 Prius in the UK back when it was pretty much the only hybrid on the market and it had top-of-the-line tech including this really cool holographic display that would show up on your windscreen so you didn't have to glance down at your GPS.  When I bought a 2015 Prius in the States, it was like a completely different car with none of the handling or tech my car had 5 years previously.  They standardized and mass-marketed it and made every additional feature a paid or model upgrade.  Tesla created a very cool product and it remains, frankly, the best car on the market if you can afford it that I've seen.  

But, when Elmo bought it, Twitter was the only product on the market.  Now it has Threads, Substack, Bluesky, Mastodon, Post and others racing to compete with it.   

I don't understand the popularity of Tesla, frankly. My brother and I checked out a showroom few years ago, when I still thought they were pretty cool and before Elon's mask had slipped.  The fit and finish were pretty shoddy. Three weeks ago he drove his family up from New York to Boston in a rented Tesla (his wife was very interested in one) and they said it rattled all the way up. Are other EVs just that bad?

Mrs Gabriel and I are about to get solar on our house and we're thinking her next car will be a plug-in. Teslas are right out. We might try and hold out for the new VW electric bus.

12 hours ago, karaddin said:

There's not many other instances of devaluing your own brand on a scale like this, but this goes so far beyond even new coke lol. It feels like if they'd tried to call new coke "New" with blue or yellow as the dominant color.

Except even that doesn't manage to cover the fact that the "X" logo isn't even a logo, it's just literally the capital X from a specific font pack that I believe isn't even licensed in a way to allow it to be used like that.

Oh, and the rebranding is rushed through in a 36 hour window encompassing 2 nights because it's clearly an insomnia decision with no real prior planning.

Oh yeah.  For sure.  Like I said, if I were a creditor that had a pledge over the birdie, I would be pissed.

2 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Oh yeah.  For sure.  Like I said, if I were a creditor that had a pledge over the birdie, I would be pissed.

I just keep having my jaw fall open again every time I get it closed lol

4 hours ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Probably an anecdotal fluke considering how popular they are right now.  Seems like most of my customers have an EV now and most of those are Tesla's.

I rarely see them. We do need to move to have most cars being EVs, but I hope other companies step it up. It's getting better though.

2 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Mrs Gabriel and I are about to get solar on our house and we're thinking her next car will be a plug-in. Teslas are right out. We might try and hold out for the new VW electric bus.

Assuming she's not a gearhead and you two only have one Dante Jr still I'd recommend a Civic that's less than five years old. Best value because as long as you don't put a shit ton of miles on it the resale in a few years will be really strong. Although in the land Massholes you might want an AWD car and if that's the case Subarus are a good option.