UK Politics: Step Right Up, Step Right Up. Come Marvel At Our Amazing North Sea Snake Oil. Will Cure All Your Electoral Woes. Get It While It's Hot ;-)

Spockydog

30 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

I can't support that either. Just seems like an additional burden on lower wage workers. Call me when people with private jets have to pay a million dollars a month to have one and there's an even larger monthly tax on mansions. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Just seems like an additional burden on lower wage workers. Call me when people with private jets have to pay a million dollars a month to have one and there's an even larger monthly tax on mansions. 

No arguments here, but it's not supposed to be an either/or thing. The economic theory behind the transition is to fund positive incentives with stringent negative ones (regulation+taxation): in this example, you can put a million dollar tax on private jets to fund the development of a high-speed train system replacing airway lines, just like you can super-tax thermic SUVs to subsidize the purchases of small EVs.
It's problematic when politicians implement only half of a measure, making it deeply unpopular. You get the erroneous idea that the transition is all about individual sacrifice, when such individual sacrifices are in fact largely ideologically driven.

18 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

No arguments here, but it's not supposed to be an either/or thing. The economic theory behind the transition is to fund positive incentives with stringent negative ones (regulation+taxation): in this example, you can put a million dollar tax on private jets to fund the development of a high-speed train system replacing airway lines, just like you can super-tax thermic SUVs to subsidize the purchases of small EVs.
It's problematic when politicians implement only half of a measure, making it deeply unpopular. You get the erroneous idea that the transition is all about individual sacrifice, when such individual sacrifices are in fact largely ideologically driven.

It's not an either/or issue. Governments/societies need to do as much as they can, but you have to consider that the majority of the population in most places can't afford the shifts in energy use that are needed. That means the governments need to eat a lot of the costs and the only way to do that is by raising taxes, and frankly, by a lot. Best way to do that is to go after those with opulent wealth first.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's not an either/or issue. Governments/societies need to do as much as they can, but you have to consider that the majority of the population in most places can't afford the shifts in energy use that are needed. That means the governments need to eat a lot of the costs and the only way to do that is by raising taxes, and frankly, by a lot. Best way to do that is to go after those with opulent wealth first.

9 cars in 10 are exempt (my 2005 focus was, its only mainly really old cars).

And most of London is covered by comprehensive if slightly grubby public transport. 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

And most of London is covered by comprehensive if slightly grubby public transport. 

True but also the problem with ULEZ expansion is it tends to affect the less well off people in London, especially your white van men, who now need to spend money to go to the end of their road, rather than going to the centre of london. It’s no surprise it’s not very popular 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

I'd take the Tube instead of driving a Focus. Good thing you upgraded to a bike. :P

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I can't support that either. Just seems like an additional burden on lower wage workers. Call me when people with private jets have to pay a million dollars a month to have one and there's an even larger monthly tax on mansions. 

It's not about greenhouse gasses, it's about air pollution. And we are talking about a city where the word "smog" originated, where it literally kills people, and used to kill far more.

Even the linked thread agrees that it is 'about that', if we understand 'that' to be loosening pollution laws to allow new housing? It's fine to say you agree with the idea, but let's not pretend it's not about the thing it's actually about.

Anyway, today from the Department of Really Bad Ideas But We're Desperate:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66660136

Criminals are to be made to attend their sentencing hearings in court, including by force if necessary, or face the prospect of longer in prison.

How is this going to work? Are relatives/victims really going to feel better once they watch someone be wrestled into the dock by half a dozen G4 staff? Does anyone expect the criminals then going to sit quietly and listen after being dragged there? it'll turn the sentencing hearing into a circus. Just stupid, cheap, vote-chasing (and yes, I'm aware Labour are supporting this dumb idea.)

34 minutes ago, mormont said:

Even the linked thread agrees that it is 'about that', if we understand 'that' to be loosening pollution laws to allow new housing? It's fine to say you agree with the idea, but let's not pretend it's not about the thing it's actually about

To be fair, I couldn't be bothered to write much about it at the time, but my point is, if your takeaway to that the news story is just about builders being allowed to 'pollute our waterways with impunity' then you are really missing the entire context. The story is more about removing bad laws (EU laws btw) that have prevented house building, helping to solve one of the biggest issues in this country. The effect on waterways is quite minimal, and the over reaction by some is one of the reasons we have struggled to get anything built.

Edited by Heartofice

In shocking news Tory says something I almost agree with https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66644021 its disgusting that this is allowed to go on every year with the crime, chaos and costs associated with it. 

The main issue is that if you move it to a park (Hyde Park has been considered as it has really good fences so we could easily control all the access, if you are stabby stabby drug dealer/gang member you can't come in), it just means that the people that can't get in will have block parties and cause chaos all over London instead.  There was a 4,000 people street party that descended into chaos in Brent this Monday night even with the carnival being on. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

59 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

In shocking news Tory says something I almost agree with https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66644021 its disgusting that this is allowed to go on every year with the crime, chaos and costs associated with it. 

The main issue is that if you move it to a park (Hyde Park has been considered as it has really good fences so we could easily control all the access, if you are stabby stabby drug dealer/gang member you can't come in), it just means that the people that can't get in will have block parties and cause chaos all over London instead.  There was a 4,000 people street party that descended into chaos in Brent this Monday night even with the carnival being on. 

It might not be a bad idea. The 'Mostly peaceful' Nottinghill Carnival that only had the 8 stabbings and 275 arrests, 57 for assaults on police just seems to be a pretty grim affair, especially on the Monday. Any other organised event that consistently had that level of unrest and violence would be shut down. 

I have seen some horrors in new builds. Went into one a few months ago, and I was like 'this vestibule is quite big'. It was the lounge. Genuinely, once you got a TV and sofa in there, you would have run out of space for furniture, and this was supposed to be a three bedroom place.