UK Politics: Step Right Up, Step Right Up. Come Marvel At Our Amazing North Sea Snake Oil. Will Cure All Your Electoral Woes. Get It While It's Hot ;-)

Spockydog

On 8/16/2023 at 8:44 AM, polishgenius said:

Hastings: also in a town, but Hastings is in easy reach of some very nice clifftop/seaside walks, plus can take a train a couple of stops inland for Battle, where you have the Abbey on the site of, well, the battle. Has the potential added benefit that you wouldn't need a car. But if part of the attraction is 'far away from London', it might be too close.

I was just there - absolutely lovely, and quite a bit of historical sightseeing etc. I did visit the Abbey, of course, and we also drove to Canterbury. My partner is from Tunbridge Wells, so we ended up driving around from there into  Kent/Sussex. 

A Resurgent Labour Party Sees Scotland as a Springboard to Power
As the Scottish nationalists stumble, a by-election near Glasgow this fall will test support for the opposition Labour party ahead of Britain’s coming general election.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/31/world/europe/scotland-labour-election-parliament.html

Meanwhile... 

Labour costs pass £500,000 in lawsuit over leaked antisemitism report

"The report, titled The Work of the Labour Party’s Governance and Legal Unit in Relation to Antisemitism, 2014–2019, was compiled in connection with an investigation by the equalities watchdog into allegations of antisemitism inside Labour. It leaked days after Keir Starmer became party leader.

It included details of Labour staffers’ private conversations expressing hostility towards Corbyn or his close allies and bemoaning Labour’s better than expected performance in the 2017 general election, and revealed instances of sexism and racism."

Quelle fucking surprise. No wonder Starmer wants it buried. 

Edited by Spockydog

Fragment of good news for Friday morning. 

Man successfully sues Conservative Club in Cardiff

(A man from the Irish Travellers wanted to hold a Christening party there for his baby daughter. Club staff member said no way and 'you know what you lot are like, doing coke in the toilets and spitting gum on the floor'. He brought a court case against them with the help of the Equality and Human Rights commission

Edited by dog-days

5 hours ago, dog-days said:

Fragment of good news for Friday morning. 

Man successfully sues Conservative Club in Cardiff

(A man from the Irish Travellers wanted to hold a Christening party there for his baby daughter. Club staff member said no way and 'you know what you lot are like, doing coke in the toilets and spitting gum on the floor'. He brought a court case against them with the help of the Equality and Human Rights commission

At least snort your coke in the kitchen, like civilised tories!

33 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Actual good news.

The ONS' record of measuring economic growth accurately, is dreadful.  And, it does have real world consequences.  Had the Bank of England had the correct numbers back at the time, they would have had room to raise interest rates sooner, so curbing inflation.

1 minute ago, SeanF said:

The ONS' record of measuring economic growth accurately, is dreadful.  And, it does have real world consequences.  Had the Bank of England had the correct numbers back at the time, they would have had room to raise interest rates sooner, so curbing inflation.

True, but the ONS’ poor quality of predictions are hardly a secret. You have to wonder why the BOE would be taking any actions based off of them 

Latest ‘how’s that wolf reintroduction going’ news. Not good

Maybe Genius George Monbiot should go over to Germany and explain to those foolish scared people why his idea is so good.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/german-farmers-helpless-as-wolf-population-grows-vbfn89f36

The children of Sonnenborstel used to have free rein to play in the village’s towering woods and green meadows. Now, their grandparents won’t let them wait alone at the bus stop, for fear of the predators lurking nearby.

“We can’t let them go to school by themselves anymore,” said Tobias Göckeritz, 65, grandfather to seven children under ten. “We have had to change our entire life. My children could still play in the forest — that’s forbidden for my grandchildren at the risk of death.”

Lack of teachers and doctors/nurses to be less of an issue since the schools/hospitals they would have worked in are in danger of falling down.

Affects some residential problems too. Another problem known about for years and ignored

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-66690889

Don't really get that whining about wolves tbh.

You reintroduce a predator into (their natural) habitat, it becomes less safe to go there. I mean what sorta moron thinks that kiddos not being able to walk into a forest alone is a) breaking news b) a deal breaker. And that's accounting for the fact, that wolves usually avoid contact with humans.

For hundreds of years children were not supposed to walk off into a forest alone. JFC. It's not like you let child walk off alone in a natural park (likesay Yellowstone) in the US with wild animals.

I know that owls also reside in forests naturally, but jebus, hoi...

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Latest ‘how’s that wolf reintroduction going’ news. Not good

Maybe Genius George Monbiot should go over to Germany and explain to those foolish scared people why his idea is so good.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/german-farmers-helpless-as-wolf-population-grows-vbfn89f36

TOTALLY this. I mean, it's a wonder that thousands of school children aren't eaten alive by wolves every year. Or bears. Or any other large carnivore.

5 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

For hundreds of years children were not supposed to walk off into a forest alone.

How else are we going to get 21st century fairy tales?

You're not looking at the big picture here

1 minute ago, Raja said:

How else are we going to get 21st century fairy tales?

You're not looking at the big picture here

I pitched this children's book idea to Nadine Dorries, now that she has some time on her hands again.

Mother Goose and the seven knives. Setting is no longer a dark forest, but a more urban setting. Needless to say, mad Nad seemed really drawn to that material.

I could say a few more things about hoi and his idiocies. But bottom line is, either you want wild life and restore a more natural eco system with predators, or you don't. If you do, giving up a natural habitat for them is part of the deal.

2 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

But bottom line is, either you want wild life and restore a more natural eco system 

Yeah cos it’s a binary isn’t it! :rolleyes:

Maybe there is a range of ways of increasing wildlife without, you know, reintroducing a dangerous predator 

Talk about idiocy!