Baldur's Gate 3: On the Highway to the Nine Hells

Trebla

17 hours ago, karaddin said:

I think that might have gone quite different for you than it has for me, 

Reveal hidden contents

Which fight? I guess you might be talking about the demon, I never had any punting issues with that one

At the end.

Spoiler

Balthazar trying to take the Nightsong off with him. You can let him, to avoid a fight, but Shadowheart freaks the F out and abandons the party (or attacks you), which I am not down with. If there's another dialogue option to avoid combat, I've not managed to get to it.

The demon was trivial in comparison, since you can talk him into killing all of his minions for you and then you just bum-rush him with 4 Level 8 characters (in my case), which was basically infanticide.

Edited by Werthead

I got to Moonrise Towers. Interesting stuff.

Spoiler

Freeing Nightsong first may have been a mistake. It eliminated several quests I had to do in Moonrise, and when I reached the towers all of the peaceful infiltration options were out and we just had to attack with a Harper army. I won the battle- it took ages - but discovered that Jaheira had died in the crossfire with no way of resurrecting her, so I need to redo that whole sequence.

What was cool is that my loyalty with Shadowheart was so toweringly high that she simply rejected Shar and freed Nightsong without me having to pass a single Persuasion check or even say anything at all during the final confrontation.

Edited by Werthead

This game has so many strange mechanics.

I tried dipping a weapon once and when I saw that fire lasts only 3 turns I did not try it again.

However I have now discovered that you can just throw ONE bottle of toxin on the floor and all party members can dip all of their weapons(ranged to) and the weapon buff seems to last until a long rest unlike the 10 turns it does when you use it otherwise. Strength of the toxin used gets transfered.

I found two places so far where I can poison to booze and NPCs die as soon as they drink from it. :D

Spoiler

In the outside party area of the Goblin camp you can kill 7 goblins that way although you have to succeed at a few dice rolls to prevent a battle with the rest afterwards. You even make toast before killing them that way. The rest of the Goblins stop drinking at the point and keep commenting how fucked up getting murdered by their own beer is.

In the Grymforge you can kill the two Duergar that are busy drinking

Things like that make the game really fun even if I would still prefer real time with pause in combat. But at least the throw berserker is amusing even in battle.

I also lured NPCs to a secluded area near a chasm with a cat or music and shoved with a waiting character just to see if that works. With careful positioning you could probably clear a number of areas that way without aggroing others. Was just a test though and I reloaded again afterwards for a proper fight(and loot).

7 hours ago, Werthead said:

At the end.

Reveal hidden contents

Balthazar trying to take the Nightsong off with him. You can let him, to avoid a fight, but Shadowheart freaks the F out and abandons the party (or attacks you), which I am not down with. If there's another dialogue option to avoid combat, I've not managed to get to it.

The demon was trivial in comparison, since you can talk him into killing all of his minions for you and then you just bum-rush him with 4 Level 8 characters (in my case), which was basically infanticide.

Oh, I forgot that this would even be an option

Spoiler

I killed Balthazar as soon as he'd told me everything lol. I thought you'd had a fight with Nightsong or something. I also still haven't had a conversation with the demon, they've been hostile as soon as I jumped down the stairs. You can still get him to kill half his mooks just with throwing grenades that they then stand on top of trying to attack you lol.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

I got to Moonrise Towers. Interesting stuff.

Hide contents

Freeing Nightsong first may have been a mistake. It eliminated several quests I had to do in Moonrise, and when I reached the towers all of the peaceful infiltration options were out and we just had to attack with a Harper army. I won the battle- it took ages - but discovered that Jaheira had died in the crossfire with no way of resurrecting her, so I need to redo that whole sequence.

What was cool is that my loyalty with Shadowheart was so toweringly high that she simply rejected Shar and freed Nightsong without me having to pass a single Persuasion check or even say anything at all during the final confrontation.

Yeah I feel like that's one spoilery warning everyone should get. This is extremely vague but putting it into spoiler text for anyone that wants to stay completely blind

Spoiler

Make sure you go to Moonrise before proceeding past the "point of no return" warning in Act 2. You're standing in front of a pool of water when you get that warning.

Still fighting through Moonrise. This is tough going.

Spoiler

The fight in the lobby is bananas, but fortunately you have the Harper army to soak up damage for you. Quite fun actually, when it wasn't tanking the framerate. I had Gale teleport into the rafters and he just ran around up there punting the snipers off to their doom, plus he had superb fire control over the room, particularly the area where reinforcements come in, so we was just bombing Ice Storms and Fireballs from on high whilst, I imagine, laughing maniacally.

I got completely annihilated fighting Kentheric Thorn on whatever his name is, but I didn't realise you could just go over the bridge, long rest and come back to the fight again.

Also pissed off that Jaheira is so weak. Was my taking you through 200 hours of adventuring through BG1 and 2 and Throne of Bhaal and (a bit of) Siege of Dragonspear all in vain? Why the fuck are you not Level 23 any more?

My first attempt at that boss fight I'd accidentally unlinked my MC from the rest of the party and had gone in solo. It didn't go great lol.

Agreed on that last bit, that's what I was expecting from them even without having played those.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Also pissed off that Jaheira is so weak. Was my taking you through 200 hours of adventuring through BG1 and 2 and Throne of Bhaal and (a bit of) Siege of Dragonspear all in vain? Why the fuck are you not Level 23 any more?

Vacation does a hell of a number on a person's endurance? 

/guessing

26 minutes ago, ASOIAFrelatedusername said:

Patch 1 is out

https://baldursgate3.game/news/patch-1-now-live_87

Beware of spoilers

From the patch notes: 

• Lae'zel's underwear will now more accurately reflect the colour of dyes used on it.

They are clearly focusing on the most important things. :D

15 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

ok so it's mostly just fixes and balance changes. That's fair. Any idea when they might do a patch with new features (hint hint changing my characters visuals after I've created them)

IIRC, they are planning to get Patch 2 out before the PS5 launch on Sept 6. Although so far the only thing they've said is that it'll have performance fixes. TBH, I wouldn't expect much else considering the short time frame left. Though maybe there's a few other, bigger things that just weren't ready in time for Patch 1.

There's been no announcement yet of what the roadmap post PS5 launch looks like. Personally, I wouldn't expect much in the way of new features until a definitive edition (which hasn't been announced, but seems likely based on their past 2 games), probably about a year from now. That's probably when any changes to the structure of Act 3 would be implemented as well.

It seems like this patch does address my biggest concerns, about logic flows of key conversations. So I will continue playing. Although I think I'll start over to ensure a cleaner playthrough.

24 minutes ago, ASOIAFrelatedusername said:

The issue is that there is a lot of cut content for act 3 (most notably an entire section of Baldur's Gate and at least one severely truncated companion quest).

And that Act 3 truncation hasn't been fixed in this patch, has it? 

They've confirmed the game will hit Xbox this year as well. Microsoft agreed to separate the tech requirements for the Series X and S, so the game will not use splitscreen on S but will have it on X.

This patch addresses the logic flow of the ending better, apparently, so some of the Kotor 2-esque "WTF is going on now?" logic breaks in the ending should be fixed.

42 minutes ago, Werthead said:

This patch addresses the logic flow of the ending better, apparently, so some of the Kotor 2-esque "WTF is going on now?" logic breaks in the ending should be fixed.

But only some. It sounds like there's still a certain trigger that incorrectly blocks your final scene with whoever your love interest is.

3 hours ago, Fez said:

But only some. It sounds like there's still a certain trigger that incorrectly blocks your final scene with whoever your love interest is.

So, basically, keep waiting on the ultimate/enhanced/whatever edition, as @Gorn mentioned.