US Politics: Killin' Ya Hard With Hate

Zorral

"In a remarkable argument at one point in the reply, Smith shows a sophistication about Trump, misinformation, and the right-wing feedback loop that I wish more political reporters had."

Jack Smith Goes Hard After Trump For His Non-Stop Threats

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/morning-memo/jack-smith-donald-trump-gag-order-threats

.... Smith seized on the opportunity of the reply to put all of these new examples in front of Chutkan as she considers whether to impose some kind of modified gag order on Trump and his attorneys.

In a remarkable argument at one point in the reply, Smith shows a sophistication about Trump, misinformation, and the right-wing feedback loop that I wish more political reporters had.

Zeroing in on the recent Trump campaign stop at a gun store in South Carolina, and the controversy over whether Trump bought a Glock in violation of the law and his terms of release, and the subsequent walk-back by a Trump spokesperson, Smith said, “The defendant should not be permitted to obtain the benefits of his incendiary public statements and then avoid accountability by having others—whose messages he knows will receive markedly less attention than his own—feign retraction.”

Then in a footnote, Smith uncoiled this line for the ages: “The defendant either purchased a gun in violation of the law and his conditions of release, or seeks to benefit from his supporters’ mistaken belief that he did so.” ....

"President Joe Biden said Friday that he was not fully confident that the current U.S. Supreme Court, which he described as extreme, could be relied on to uphold the rule of law."

The Biden Interview: The President Talks About the Supreme Court, Threats to Democracy and Trump’s Vow to Exact Retribution
In a sit-down conversation with ProPublica, Biden discusses Kevin McCarthy’s “terrible bargain,” the fear of change that drives threats to democracy and the Supreme Court’s need for an ethics policy.

https://www.propublica.org/article/biden-interview-trump-supreme-court-ethics

When I was a kid growing up, there was a class we country kids had to take (kids in schools 'in town' did not have this class) called My State.  I don't remember anything like this is in the text books for that class.

Port: North Dakota lawmaker goes on a vile homophobic tirade over the weekend
Rep. Brandon Prichard demanded censorship, homophobic curricula in schools, and that "conservative states" make Christian supremacy a matter of state law.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/columns/port-north-dakota-lawmaker-goes-on-a-vile-homophobic-tirade-over-the-weekend

17 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

I have to put this as an 'unverified rumor of dubious quality,' as the GOP House majority is so slender they need every congress critter they can get. Still...

House GOP members seek to expel Gaetz amid renewed threat to vacate House Speaker McCarthy (yahoo.com)

Elon Musk Sued for Falsely Claiming Random Man Was a Fed Posing as Neo-Nazi
The increasingly far-right billionaire can't seem to stop amplifying dangerous misinformation on his own social media platform

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/elon-musk-sued-falsely-claiming-man-fed-posing-neo-nazi-1234836778/

Trump says he would prefer to die by electrocution in bizarre campaign rant | Donald Trump | The Guardian

I think it is fitting we should close this thread with some pearls of wisdom from our next President

Faced with a litany of criminal charges, Donald Trump on Sunday told a campaign rally in Iowa that he would prefer to die by electrocution rather than be eaten by a shark if he ever found himself on a rapidly sinking, electrically powered boat.

“If I’m sitting down and that boat is going down and I’m on top of a battery and the water starts flooding in, I’m getting concerned, but then I look 10 yards to my left and there’s a shark over there, so I have a choice of electrocution and a shark, you know what I’m going to take? Electrocution,” Trump said. “I will take electrocution every single time, do we agree?”

This is all a riff on electric powered boats, I am guessing he is not a fan of all this Green New Deal nonsense.

Bet TFG [That Fucking Goof] hasn’t dipped anything as much as a toe in the ocean in 65 years. Only thing eating him is bedbugs.

Totally rational guy.

In non-shark-phobic news, Arizona Governor Katie Hobbs swung into action this week, enforcing the law, canceling one lease and announcing that three other leases due for renewal in February 2024 would NOT be renewed for the Saudis to continue extracting water from western Arizona.

It can only be corruption that prevented Governor Ducey from sitting on his thumb his entire term of office.

Arizona moves to end Saudi farm's groundwater deal to grow alfalfa (azcentral.com)

32 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

In non-shark-phobic news, Arizona Governor Katie Hobbs swung into action this week, enforcing the law, canceling one lease and announcing that three other leases due for renewal in February 2024 would NOT be renewed for the Saudis to continue extracting water from western Arizona.

It can only be corruption that prevented Governor Ducey from sitting on his thumb his entire term of office.

Arizona moves to end Saudi farm's groundwater deal to grow alfalfa (azcentral.com)

I thought she stepped down from office?

22 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

I thought she stepped down from office?

Nope:

AP’S ASSESSMENT: False. The Democrat, who has been the target of misinformation since taking office this year, was out of state for meetings in Washington for a day, so the state treasurer briefly served as acting governor. Arizona’s constitution calls for the next highest ranking elected official physically in the state to assume the role in the governor’s absence. Hobbs returned to Arizona on Thursday and resumed her duties, including attending an event with President Joe Biden.

https://apnews.com/article/arizona-governor-katie-hobbs-politics-elections-fact-check-5cd1eb38a7f1de986fd1669fbb72d277

I'm pretty leery of the Knights of Malta but I've seen that going around being presented as cold hard fact and the guy's original thread purporting to 'prove' that they are still active and open crusaders is... mental. Like it definitely highlights some good reasons why both society at large and the Catholic church in specific should tell them to get fucked (including the fact that they openly resist attempts to modernise the Church and have openly clashed with Francis over it), and it's potentially true that they're deliberately planning for some influence with Trump. But a whole bunch of his evidence is either absolute obvious horseshit or claims that might be true that he provides no proof for.

For example he claims that Anders Brejvik and Brenton Tarrant must have been part of, and trained, by them, and the authorities in both cases covered it up. His evidence for this is that Tarrant claimed to be trained by someone, that he had Malta references on his rifle, and that they both claimed to be Knights Templar. Except that earlier in the same thread he makes it clear that Hospitaliers (as the Knights of Malta are) and Templars are not the same thing, and using iconography like that is something you'd just as easily expect from a deluded lone wolf. I won't say it's entirely like saying the Beatles must have trained Charles Manson, because the KoM are actually a pretty awful organisation with the history to be attractive to extremists, but those actions require no input by them and Stewartson provides no evidence that there was any. 

He also claims that Erik Prince is a Knight of Malta, which might conceivably be true but I can't find anything on it and he doesn't provide any evidence in the thread. In fact the clip which he purports to be Prince directly promoting the KoM has absolutely no mention of them. 

Basically: be careful what you believe. It looks to me like Stewartson's cause and concerns are perfectly rational but that he's using that to slide in some more wacko stuff he can't prove. 

To be clear- none of that is me claiming that the KoM are in any way cool. They're an awful organisation that could conceivably be the single biggest force in keeping the Catholic church conservative. In that sense them getting people around Trump is a bad sign, though I'm actually not sure what they or he benefit from giving him an extremely bad lawyer. But none of that needs the level of conspiracy that Stewartson is touting here. 

I hadn’t heard about this.  The Georgia Republican Senate Caucus acted to suspend a Republican State Senator who has been advocating impeachment for Fanni Willis.  

Does this mean anything in the broader scheme is this reflective of genuine strife within the Republican Party or is this just Republicans telling morons to stop saying the “quiet part loudly”?

https://x.com/maddowblog/status/1707558697239511268?s=46

He has already said it is “unfair” that he isn’t getting a jury trial in New York, but his lawyers explicitly said they did not want one, possibly because a bench trial gives Trump a single judge to attack rather than a jury.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/10/02/trump-fraud-trial-ny-2/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/26/nyregion/trump-james-fraud-trial.html

There may be no Knights of Malta involved here, but it is known for years now that Opus Dei has long influenced our politicians, and particularly the appointment of SCOTUS members:

Leonard Leo, Federalist Society co-chairman and board member of Opus Dei's Catholic Information Center, facilitated the appointment of Supreme Court justices John Roberts, Samuel Alito, Neil Gorsuch, Brett Kavanaugh, and Amy Coney Barrett.

https://dailymeditationswithmatthewfox.org/2022/06/29/supreme-court-judges-sharing-an-opus-dei-seal-of-approval/#:~:text=Leonard Leo%2C Federalist Society co,Kavanaugh%2C and Amy Coney Barrett. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas recused himself from participating in a case related to the January 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol. Thomas’s wife, Ginni, was a staunch supporter of Trump’s attempt to overturn the results of the 2020 election, and in the past, Thomas had voted on related cases nonetheless. Today’s case involved John Eastman, formerly one of Thomas’s law clerks."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/clarence-thomas-recuses-supreme-court-rejects-trump-lawyer-eastman-rcna117607