US Politics: Killin' Ya Hard With Hate

Zorral

I’m catching up on US news by watching CNN and I see Senator Tommy Tuberville is blocking 300 military appointments because the US military allows female soldiers to have abortions, which he says is illegal.

That is truly hilarious. The US military, who have killed how many people over the last 50 years, is being damaged by a politician who wants to restrict the rights of women wherever he can.

Congratulations, Republicans!

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I’m catching up on US news by watching CNN and I see Senator Tommy Tuberville is blocking 300 military appointments because the US military allows female soldiers to have abortions, which he says is illegal.

That is truly hilarious. The US military, who have killed how many people over the last 50 years, is being damaged by a politician who wants to restrict the rights of women wherever he can.

Congratulations, Republicans!

Perfectly in line with party policy: human life is only super precious until it's born, then it's law of the jungle baby!

https://www.damemagazine.com/2023/08/14/the-gop-has-a-master-plan-to-criminalize-being-trans/

Remember how many a people have downplayed the warnings of the gop wanting to erase trans people from society full stop, no exception and framed the onslaught of transphobia as just wanting parents to have the opportunity to raise their kids in a way they thought was right, caution over certain medical care being given to children and concern for women’s sports. 
And once they’ve effectively banned trans people from being seen in public(and private), they will go after gay people. 

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I never liked going to theme parks, spend most of the time just standing around.

I enjoy the Disney parks.  Just from November to March.  The rest of the year it is like the underside of Hell… but more humid.

I'd think Hurricane season is the only time to actually visit it.

I can't think of anything more satisfying than watching a dude with a Theater Arts Degree in a Mickey Mouse costume flying off into the sunset.

I admit this might just be me.

Spoiler

Florida jokes were more fun, when I could yank DMC's chain a bit with them.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

2 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:
I never liked going to theme parks, spend most of the time just standing around.

I loved going to Disney World/Land as a kid, but it sounds like a nightmare these days. Waiting for over an hour in line for a three to five minute ride seems dreadful. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

:lol: Humor! :lol:

A Letter to Kenneth Chesebro on Pleading Guilty

https://www.justsecurity.org/88068/a-letter-to-kenneth-chesebro-on-pleading-guilty/#:~:text=Dear Mr. Chesebro%3A,grave threat to your liberty.

.... First, we must acknowledge that we are not your lawyers. Instead, we are merely experienced defense counsel with a passing interest in the affairs of the day. Nothing we write here is meant to suggest that you are not being represented ably by excellent counsel who are focused on your best interests. Rather, we humbly offer our outsider’s perspective on what is a legal and personal conundrum. We are only able to write based on facts in the public domain.  But, nonetheless, we offer our opinion here on how to approach your current predicament, and we do so focused resolutely on one interest only: your liberty.

Your defense strategy should pay little attention to whom you voted for in 2020, or your current political affiliations. You do not want the political adrenaline of an aggressive defense to cloud sound strategic judgment, and God forbid you are just a pawn in a political figure’s melodrama. So, while there are some loud voices in Georgia and beyond who herald your indictment as a long–overdue measure of justice, and others who see it as a partisan ruse to undermine the current leading Republican presidential candidate, you must drown out them all. Instead, we beseech you, think of one and only one thing: your liberty.  

As an appellate lawyer, you have probably not spent much time, or any time at all, inside a prison.  But as seasoned defense counsel and former prosecutors, we have.  Believe us when we tell you that prison is not where you want to spend any amount of time, much less a minimum of five years or the rest of your life.  So, below we outline a global strategy to avoid that outcome.  One that accounts for your exposure in Georgia, in the federal case, and possibly other state criminal prosecutions that might arise.  You probably will not like our strategy, and neither will your political sympathizers, but this strategy is not borne from political ideology, nor does it serve any political purpose or aim to be liked.  Instead, it serves the sole and pragmatic interest of your personal liberty. ....

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Former Trump adviser Peter Navarro convicted of contempt of Congress

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/07/politics/peter-navarro-contempt-of-congress-january-6-committee-subpoena/index.html

Quite a week in the courts.

This is so awesome. This snarky guy actually was a guest speaker at our workplace a few years back, then a few months go by and I see he's quietly indicted over the contempt charges. None of the big Trump cheerleaders at work seem to remember the guy now.:lmao:

I remember and ive anxiously awaited this conviction.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

So... somehow Trump slithers back into the presidency and the time come for him to put his cabinet together. When asked about this (by some lapdog at FOX) Trump says he knows just the people, the bestest people for the positions...but first he has to pardon them. When the lapdog asks 'why, when there are so many other people out there,' Trump goes, 'because this way their first loyalty will be to me.'

18 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:
I do wonder if centering so much around the 2020 campaign being about trump’s awfulness, lesser of two evilisms made it so that many voters naturally begun to expect and believe Biden would be dissatisfying

I think it's pretty simple, honestly: it's (mostly) the economy, stupid. 

Wages are up and unemployment is low. That's great. Housing prices are still absurdly unaffordable, groceries are more expensive, healthcare is worse, job security is worse, crime feels like it's up (even if it's not), homelessness is a major issue in virtually every major city, and the promises that Biden made to help a lot of various people have been defeated over and over again in lots of different ways - with the main beneficiaries of his programs going to the people who are least likely to vote for him. 

Oh yeah, also - abortion, voting rights, Ukraine, Afghanistan - all sorts of things have happened that Biden could not remotely control but happened on his watch and made things worse specifically for the people who would vote for him. 

I even happen to think he did a pretty decent job. But I also get why a lot of folks - especially folks who voted for him - aren't so happy with the last 3 years. 

3 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

By what metrics?

There's been a lot of layoffs reported. I think that's pretty clearly a big deal. I am happy to bring that back up but it's also just a feeling a lot of people have. For instance, this shows 1 in 3 people are worried:

https://www.bankrate.com/banking/federal-reserve/workers-keep-taking-action-amid-possible-recession/

That's up from about 15% were worried just a year ago. And 20% of people think their position is stable:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/21/even-in-a-hot-labor-market-workers-are-worried-about-job-security.html

Is it true? Doesn't actually matter in the least. It's what people are worried about. Much like crime - crime that isn't actually particularly up, especially violent crime - the perception makes the reality.

Similarly, most Americans now rate our healthcare as not good:

https://news.gallup.com/poll/468176/americans-sour-healthcare-quality.aspx

Is it true? Probably to a decent degree - with the amount of nurses who quit during Covid, the longer wait periods, the higher costs, the lack of drug access and availability, the huge lack of mental health resources. But the feeling makes it much worse.