Videogames Thread: Steaming Ahead

Corvinus85

4 hours ago, Ran said:

I got briefly confused about someone calling Syndicate padded, but I see you are all heretics.

One of those games that completely changed the rules of video games when it came out. Tons of civilians wandering around, usable vehicles, being able to recruit civilians to your cause, enterable buildings, pretty big, impressively-designed cyberpunk cities and some very cool weapons. Also, the usable trains, and the very open ways of tackling missions (a primitive stealth system with you sometimes being able to pass by in crowds if you didn't have weapons out, using the Persuadatron to recruit civilians, police and enemy agents to your cause, frontal massive assaults). Outstanding stuff (for 1993 anyway).

There was a spiritual successor a decade ago which only allowed you to control one character in an FPS mode with no relation to the first game's setting, storyline or structure, and certainly no sign of the strategic metagame going on between missions. I remember one of the reboot game's team getting absolutely roasted on Twitter for it and he was very feebly trying to defend why it was far less ambitious and interesting than a (then) 20-year-old game.

Syndicate being 30 years old (and four months) seems pretty crazy now.

Oh, there was a spiritual successor from one of the same designers, Satellite Reign, a few years ago. Very enjoyable and solid game.

Edited by Werthead

Yeah, the FPS was... a mistake.

There was also Satellite Reign, though, which was a proper spiritual successor from some of the ex-Bullfrog guys who did Syndicate Wars. Not as successful as one might have hoped, reviews were solid but not spectacular, but still. At least someone tried it.

13 minutes ago, Ran said:

Yeah, the FPS was... a mistake.

There was also Satellite Reign, though, which was a proper spiritual successor from some of the ex-Bullfrog guys who did Syndicate Wars. Not as successful as one might have hoped, reviews were solid but not spectacular, but still. At least someone tried it.

I found Syndicate Wars and Syndicate Plus on GoG. Both are sequels?

13 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

I found Syndicate Wars and Syndicate Plus on GoG. Both are sequels?

Syndicate Plus I believe is the collection of the original game and its expansion, American RevoltSyndicate Wars is the extremely janky, not-as-good sequel to Syndicate.

Edited by Werthead

6 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Heh. They totally got wrecked by those rocket guards on the last mission too. 

Give flamethrowers to your entire crew and watch the guards and enemy agents burn. Was the best and easiest way to beat that last mission when i played it back in the 1990s, and was still valid when I played it again 10 years ago.

One of the best part of the game (and so innovative it blew my mind when I first noticed it) is that civilians brainwashed with persuadertron join you and can actually become pretty much additional teammates, they seize weapons from fallen enemies, and sometimes they actually wield laser or minigun, which is insane in a fight.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Syndicate Plus I believe is the collection of the original game and its expansion, American RevoltSyndicate Wars is the extremely janky, not-as-good sequel to Syndicate.

Was it American Revolt or Wars that was hellishly difficult pretty much from the very first mission?

On 10/23/2023 at 10:55 AM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Fallout — a live-action adaptation of Bethesda’s popular RPG video game franchise — will premiere on April 12th, 2024, exclusively via Prime Video.

The announcement was made on October 23rd, otherwise known to Fallout fans as “Fallout Day” — the in-game date that marks the beginning of the Great War that turns the world into an irradiated nuclear wasteland.

Bethesda’s executive producer and game director Todd Howard is an executive producer on the series, which stars Ella Purnell (Yellowjackets), Walton Goggins (The Hateful Eight), Aaron Moten (Emancipation), Moisés Arias (The King of Staten Island), Kyle MacLachlan (Twin Peaks), and Sarita Choudhury (Homeland).

Amazon said in a press release that the show will be an original story set in a future, post-apocalyptic version of Los Angeles and will be considered a canonical addition to the existing game franchise. 

Because war, war never changes.

I will be extremely disappointed if those are not the last words  of the voiceover of the intro to this TV series. 

Edit: A canon story set in New Angeles?

Shit must have happened in the NCR. 

Edited by A True Kaniggit

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

Anyone have a Steam Deck? I just ordered one because my job has been brutally slow lately and I’m going crazy. I was wondering about the placement of the buttons and analog sticks, comfort-wise. They look a little too high up in pics. 

I’ve had it since the initial rounds of launch.  Being used to playing a Switch, the Deck felt big initially; but after some use it is very natural.  My hands are far from large and I can use it comfortably.

The first thing you’ll want to do when you get it is sniff the vent exhaust.  Those first few weeks before whatever that smell is burns off is oddly satisfying.

Trust me.

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

Anyone have a Steam Deck? I just ordered one because my job has been brutally slow lately and I’m going crazy. I was wondering about the placement of the buttons and analog sticks, comfort-wise. They look a little too high up in pics. 

No, build a real PC like a man! 

Always glad to see one of my favourite devs (Blackbird, aka "the original Relic") high-fiving another (Remedy).

9 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I'd advise holding fire on a Steam Deck just now. Valve are apparently close to announcing and launching a higher-specced version to compete with some of the other mobile PC platforms that have come out recently, so it might be worth seeing how good that is.

9 hours ago, Clueless Northman said:

Was it American Revolt or Wars that was hellishly difficult pretty much from the very first mission?

American Revolt. Revolt took the view that it started as Mission 51 of the original game, with corresponding difficulty, and pressed on from there. That was quite common in 1990s expansions, which can be best described as "utterly bastard hard."

(see also Dungeon Keeper: The Lost Levels and StarCraft: Brood War).

4 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I mean I work 3rd shift and my job is pretty lax, but lugging a PC in there might draw some eyes.

lol in all seriousness, if youre into portable gaming consider waiting for the switch 2 instead. Alot of PC games get ported to it nowdays, the new one will have more powerful hardware and you will get access to the first party nintendo titles 

1 hour ago, GallowKnight said:

I'd say no. I never got very far into Unity but overall I liked Syndicate more.

Tried it out today. The movement mechanics are truly awful. The PC model moves in a very weird, almost tanky way that makes moving around feel clunky and frustrating, and as with Syndicate, the wall grappling and free-running is oddly cumbersome and feels weighty and slow, as though there's a lag response between mouse and camera that later games didn't feature (thinking of Valhalla here, which effortlessly consumed 100 hours of my life). 

I know Unity was released only years after AC3, and was meant to be next-gen Everything, yet somehow it was less engaging, with frustrating button mashing, poor responsiveness, and not nearly as interesting as AC3, which is famously, as I understand, one of the less-liked entries in the series (in part due to the main character being somewhat less interesting than Ezio). 

The AssCreed series did get extremely stale with Unity and Syndicate, which is why they rebooted it with a fresh approach with Origins. They actually knew that quite a while earlier, so they developed at least Syndicate knowing they'd be chucking that approach in the bin with the next game. One of the reasons they did it was because they could build London, or at least the underlying structure of it, not just for that game but also for Watch_Dogs: Legion, so they got more bang for their buck out of it.

For myself I did about 4 hours of Assassin's Creed 1, got bored with it and have never touched the series again since. I have been tempted by Black Flag though, everyone seems to say that's the best one.