Videogames Thread: Steaming Ahead

Corvinus85

13 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I find dodging to be challenging on PC with a keyboard. I know that this is a console game, but this is how I play. The big frog monster is also another ridiculous challenge which I have skipped over for now. 

That's the other one which requires dodging.  Then of course when you have to fight 2 rancors and 2 Ogdos. 

Thankfully all 4 fights hold basically nothing as a reward.

Prey is marvellous and Mick Gordon's score is delicious. It's Arkane Studios Austin firing on all cylinders. The game rewards different playstyles, the station on which the game is set is a marvel of design, and the art design is top notch. It's in a class all its own. Shame the title sucks (and was imposed upon the studio).

25 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Prey is marvellous and Mick Gordon's score is delicious. It's Arkane Studios Austin firing on all cylinders. The game rewards different playstyles, the station on which the game is set is a marvel of design, and the art design is top notch. It's in a class all its own. Shame the title sucks (and was imposed upon the studio).

Is the story ,atmosphere,characters, level designs and world building as good as the Dishonored series by Arkane ? That’s what I’m looking for, gameplay is secondary although still important. Do your actions and gameplay style change the story ? 

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

2 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Horizon Zero Dawn is amazing. And weirdly enough the first game I downloaded when I got the Steam Deck in today. It’s bigger than I imagined it would be. 

Got it, thanks. I wish the sequel was also out on PC but I’ll look into this one first. Outside of the Nintendo 3DS, I’m a PC gamer only.

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

32 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Is the story, atmosphere, characters, level designs and world building as good as the Dishonored series by Arkane ? That’s what I’m looking for, gameplay is secondary although still important. Do your actions and gameplay style change the story ? 

It's...different from Dishonored. (The first game in the series never gets uninstalled from my computer. Never.) It's a bit like System Shock 1/2 in that it's on a space station, and because it's set in ostensibly our near future, it doesn't require the same level of world building as that of a secondary world. 

However. 

The game lets you play in a variety of different styles - you can do stealth, you can use engineering to your advantage, you can go in guns blazing, etc. Along the way, the game will, in conjunction with your playstyle - and without telegraphing it or sign-posting it - ask you to make choices that will have consequences. What those consequences are you won't necessarily find out until the end of the game. 

To use an inept but accessible metaphor: the game is like playing poker - you make decisions along the way that affect your hand and the other player's hand. But the outcome of those two hands aren't revealed until the end of the poker match. Same thing here. 

Prey allows you to make multiple, differing choices in regards to how you help/hinder/assist other characters, rather than binary black/white choices, throughout the game, which I really appreciated. And like many other 0451 games, there's a lot of character interaction via video/audio comms and scattered notes, audio files, etc.

And the level design is...well you can't think of it as levels. You can traverse the entire space station pretty early on. It's literally one giant level that is a space station that has this kind of retro-futuristic design to it that's one part NASA aesthetics and one part retro-futurism. And there's a gloop gun that's *glorious* in its silliness and usefulness. There are numerous systems at play within the game at any given time - which I can't really discuss in greater detail without spoiling parts of the story, as the story and gameplay are interwoven quite well. 

I would regularly just stop and start at stuff around me in parts of the station, like the theatre, or the foyer of the station, with its wrap-around stairs and giant view of the Earth. And there are of course numerous B and C plots within the game, that can be engaged with or ignored at your convenience. And the Mooncrash DLC is a romp unto itself, that integrates rouge-like elements into the game. It's wild. (Typhon Hunter, a multiplayer DLC, can be ignored, and isn't very good and feels like a half-hearted effort, and one that doesn't even use the same engine as Prey, for...reasons.)

Also, ye gods, the score. Dude. The *score* is a slam dunk. The link I've just given you? I've had this song on repeat all day while working. It's just so goddamn catchy. (No Clip, in their documentary on Prey, called attention to the music, which really does stand out over the course of the game.)

Tried out Assassin's Creed: Odyssey the other day. Gorgeous game, with oh god, so many markers everywhere, with the usual fetch/assemble/collect quests that is a hard no for me at this point. By all accounts, it's a 100 hour commitment to complete the game, whose main plot focuses on....a goddamn cult. Pass. 

So it's back to Pentiment in the meantime, which is refreshing, insanely charming, and not a massive undertaking. And after reading a recent article on PC Gamer about it, I'm trying out Morrowind: Tamriel Rebuilt, which is somehow still alive and kicking after *blink* 22 years!

7 hours ago, Slurktan said:

That's the other one which requires dodging.  Then of course when you have to fight 2 rancors and 2 Ogdos. 

Thankfully all 4 fights hold basically nothing as a reward.

Yep. Finally beat that Rancor after a thousand tries. Barely got any skill increase, the only thing was that perk it was "guarding." Not worth it.

11 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Anyone played either Prey or Horizon zero dawn ? Thinking of one of them as my next game to get 

I agree with @IlyaP, Prey is a great game with fun gameplay and lots of atmosphere. It's like a mix between Half-life and Dishonored.

I found it quite challenging though, maybe that's just me being crap at shooters.

Agreed with all the gushing above about Prey. It's a great game, one I would love to replay if I had more time for gaming but I don't and I have a huge list of unplayed and unfinished games in my library that need... something done with them first.

Prey is honestly more of a direct (and better) successor to System Shock 2 than any of the Bioshock games. The worst part about it is that it took the name of an already existing, and very different franchise, for nebulous reasons.

11 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Is the story ,atmosphere,characters, level designs and world building as good as the Dishonored series by Arkane ? That’s what I’m looking for, gameplay is secondary although still important. Do your actions and gameplay style change the story ? 

Yes and yes.

Prey and Horizon Zero Dawn are pretty different to one another but both are excellent games.

I believe Horizon Forbidden West is out on PC probably around February or March.

16 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Horizon Zero Dawn is amazing. And weirdly enough the first game I downloaded when I got the Steam Deck in today. It’s bigger than I imagined it would be. 

I wish the games current story was as good as its back story or combat. The quests all being so very mmoish really takes a lot of fun out of learning about Gaia and the world history.

My biggest regret about getting an XBox instead of Steamdeck or PS5 is that I won't get to play Horizon. Well, maybe that, Last of Us, and Bloodborne. But the Horizon games look like so much fun.

Prey is a wonderful game. I imagine it's not for everyone, but it's definitely worth a try.

(As is Pentiment).

17 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

My biggest regret about getting an XBox instead of Steamdeck or PS5 is that I won't get to play Horizon. Well, maybe that, Last of Us, and Bloodborne. But the Horizon games look like so much fun.

Prey is a wonderful game. I imagine it's not for everyone, but it's definitely worth a try.

(As is Pentiment).

Legit question... why would you get an XBox?

Any exclusive game on the XBox is also available on the PC.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Legit question... why would you get an XBox?

Any exclusive game on the XBox is also available on the PC.

Because an Xbox capable of playing games at high levels is cheaper, way less of a hassle and more easily supported than a pc. It supports Xbox games from previous generations too, which you may own or want to play. It looks a lot better and fits a lot better in the living room too.

It also allows you to play with other people on the Xbox network which does matter.

I personally would buy a pc first for a variety of reasons, but there are pretty good reasons for people to not just want a pc 

13 minutes ago, Arakasi said:

Well sure but then why not buy a PS5. Clearly the superior console.

Because the PS5 doesn't have game pass, it doesn't have Xbox games, and it doesn't have xbox exclusives. That might not be enough to overwhelm the PS5's advantages but they do exist.

My personal take is that if you want to get one console the decision is really simple: do you want gamepass or do you want sony's exclusives? Game pass is a major value proposition for a whole lot of people, and Sony has absolutely great exclusives. The console's actual power for specific games' performances is not that different at this point, the features per console are not super special. It's really that. And clearly, Sony is the better choice for more people. 

(though honestly if you're buying just one console the Switch is probably the best choice)

Edited by Kalbear