UK Politics: No Bully XL for you

Maltaran

On the subject of American XL bully dogs someone else has been killed by one apparently. I'm generally of the view that ascribing certain temperaments to dog breeds is pretty overblown and it tends to be more down to how their owners treat them but bloody hell, this seems like a lot of incidents in a short space of time.

3 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Was about to post that.

Saying some labour members are pushing for it is very disingenuous

It's also a lie. I'm sure you can find a Labour MP who's suggested a tax on meat, for example, but I will eat my hat* if Donelan has ever honestly heard a Labour MP or councilor who's in favour of restricting the number of times someone can go to the shops. That's paranoid conspiracy theory stuff that the Tories have weirdly decided to play with, despite knowing it's a, absolutely untrue and b, linked with some truly awful anti-Semitic world-government COVID-was-a-hoax 5G-can-be-used-to-kill-you stuff. A dangerous game. 

Anyway, we're now on to Mordaunt complaining that Labour want to 'drag the country back to the 80s', which is telling on three counts:

- only has resonance to people who remember the 1980s ie over 50s, but these are the only voters the Tories care about any more.

- the Tories were the actual government then.

- they can't complain about how awful it was under Blair because, well, it wasn't. It wasn't great but it wasn't some awful spectre that they can invoke to provoke fear. 

*and I'm a re-enactor, most of my hats are metal. ;)

Edited by mormont

It was pretty ironic seeing the XL bully protest in london where protesters were making a very good case for blaming the owners not the dogs.. by just being really shitty aggressive scumbag owners themselves. Having said that, there are a lot of nasty, aggressive dog breeds, but not many have the sheer ability to rip a human apart and ragdoll them in the way an XL bully can. It might be that a Chihuahua is more violent, but I won't be afraid for my life if one comes for me. 

2 minutes ago, mormont said:

Anyway, we're now on to Mordaunt complaining that Labour want to 'drag the country back to the 80s', which is telling on three counts:

The reason she is referring to the 80's is to do with strikes, for which there are quite a lot at the moment. What was actually interesting about her speech is that is was trying to position the Tories as the party of Thatcher and to remind everyone of how Thatcher fought the trade unions and won. But by constantly harking back to Thatcher, something Truss was often doing, all the Tories are doing is showing how bollocks they have been for the past decade or so. If the only achievement they can think of is what they did decades ago, that half the country wouldn't agree with anyway, then they are truly fucked.

Certain dog breeds disproportionately attract certain types of owners. But it is also true that there are breeds which are inherently more aggressive and inclined to bite first and beg for treats later and breeds that are like soft cuddly toys who love and want hugs from everyone.

Highlights of Rishi, I'll believe that £36 billion when i see it, and its was nice of him to spend £30,000 per teacher of labours money. 

• Sunak cancels the "rest of HS2" - meaning everything that isn't on the London-Birmingham leg
  • Every penny saved, he says, will be reinvested in transport - meaning £36bn for the North, Midlands, and "across the country"
  • HS2 will go to Euston, as planned - but the Euston project will be run by a new management team
  • The £2 bus fare cap in England will remain
  • Sunak proposes raising the legal age to buy cigarettes every year, meaning someone aged 14 today will never be able to buy them legally
  • He also proposes a new law meaning full-life terms for "sexual and sadistic murders"
  • Sunak proposes a new Advanced British Standard, which brings together A-Levels and T-Levels
  • They will be all for all students in England, and will typically include five subjects
  • There will be a £30,000 tax-free bonus for teachers of key subjects across the first five years of their career
Edited by BigFatCoward

15 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Sunak hoping no one thinks to ask who’s been in power the past 13 years

All jokes aside, who the hell is writing his speeches? This is something I would hope someone who passed communications 1001 would have avoided. 

And people clapped. Dear god.

More of this please.

It was very easy, with Bozo and the Lettuce, to paint May as some kind of competent, benevolent stateswoman. When she is in fact nothing but a bungling, racist old witch, who really needs to go and fall off a cliff somewhere.

The bit at the end. Lol....

"a country with which we, the United Kingdom, have long historical links, *Maybot's eyes swivel  as its programming recalls the concentration camps* erm, for obvious reasons...."

Edited by Spockydog

5 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

A speech by Penny Mordaunt, one of the less stupid Tories

Our conservatives are still dumber than yours, but damn if they're both not two turds racing to the bottom of the shitter. 

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Our conservatives are still dumber than yours, but damn if they're both not two turds racing to the bottom of the shitter. 

The difference is it affects their popularity over here (not as much as it should). Trump is still wildly popular with your right wing. 

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Someone noted on twitter that a couple of the speeches used metaphors or allusions that made them sound written by an American- references to apple pie and whatnot. I haven't the time nor inclination to comb through them and figure out if that's true, but there's certainly a certain borrowing of gameplan going on.

25 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

The difference is it affects their popularity over here (not as much as it should). Trump is still wildly popular with your right wing. 

Tories have been running your country for nearly a decade and a half. Everyone of their PMs has sucked and the party is shit, but still, they have power. At least in that timeframe we've elected two Democratic presidents and legislative majorities.