UK Politics: No Bully XL for you

Maltaran

6 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

The legal definition of refugees is fear of persecution rather than discrimination. I suppose you could make a technical argument that there's a distinction between the two terms.

Yep, you get discriminated against everywhere for being gay and female, so its hardly a reason to be a refugee.  Persecution is a totally different kettle of fish. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

On 9/26/2023 at 12:47 AM, BigFatCoward said:

Nobody gets glassed because of cigarettes though. 

Does someone get “glassed” every time anyone has a beer, glass of wine, or whiskey?  Every time someone lights a fucking cigarette someone is forced to smell that noxious shit unless the smoker is smoking their shit in a hermetically sealed container. Is that wher most smoker’s smoke?

4 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Does someone get “glassed” every time anyone has a beer, glass of wine, or whiskey?  Every time someone lights a fucking cigarette someone is forced to smell that noxious shit unless the smoker is smoking their shit in a hermetically sealed container. Is that wher most smoker’s smoke?

But you are in an extreme minority feeling that way (or at least feeling so strongly, its a minor inconvenience to most, unlike a glass in the face). 

1 minute ago, BigFatCoward said:

But you are in an extreme minority feeling that way (or at least feeling so strongly, its a minor inconvenience to most, unlike a glass in the face). 

You didn’t answer my question.  Does someone get a glass to the face every time anyone anywhere has an alcoholic beverage?

Thing about Braverman and the Tories is that there are a few things that are true at the same time.

• Braverman is thick and uses divisive and dangerous language to stir up controversy constantly
  • The Tories main tactic seems to be to get Labour to say things which makes them look softer than them, and don't care what they have to do to create that effect.
  • Rwanda and Hotel barges are stupid ideas that won't work and are only there to make them look tough and the previous effect.
  • The Tories have been utterly shit at dealing with immigration, overseeing record levels of immigration despite a clear consensus from the public that they want less.
  • Much of the problems with illegal immigration can be put at the doorstep of the Tories. They could improve the speed of dealing with requests, they could be tougher on who they accept and reject, they have the power to do that. Mostly it's just a standard shitshow from them.

But then on the other side

• Braverman might well have a point about the EHRC, and rules designed for a different era that don't reflect modern migration trends. There may be countries other than the UK looking at these rules soon as clearly something isn't working. 
  • 'Discrimination' is not the same as persecution and there shouldn't be a requirement to take people simply due to discrimination and if the bar has been lowered then it is a problem.
  • There needs to be an acceptance that not all those who apply for sanctuary in the UK are genuine refugees and that a good number are actually just economic migrants. We are under no obligation to take people in just because they would quite like to live here. 
  • The number of illegal boat crossings is big and has gotten bigger. 
  • There are a decent number of people coming here who are willing to lie and take advantage of lax processes to get in. The narrative that they are all genuine cases and dismissing any critique also adds to divisiveness. 
  • The idea that a refugee can travel through dozens of countries and pick the one that they want to live in and still be considered a refugee is absurd. Quite often they will have been rejected by other countries and will end up here, France's acceptance rate is a lot lower than ours for example, which says a lot about our system.

Either way, the fact that it's Braverman discussing this stuff doesn't help. She's already put her flag in the ground for being the thick as shit face of the right of the party, and everything she says will cause uproar. The Tories clearly are not able to deal with immigration on any level, all they can do is talk tough and do things like 'boat week'. 

57 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Cigarettes are fucking disgusting.  They have always been fucking disgusting. 

Yeah, but catching a whiff of it as you walk past somebody else's house isn't really worth moaning about, is it?

It is literally not doing you any harm. Nor is catching a whiff of weed, or curries, or whatever.

Nobody owns the air, Scot.

Edited by Spockydog

2 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Lol. This is like Capone going down for tax evasion. But much, much shitter. 

Not a surprise. I think GB News are happy for an excuse to bench him for a while after the allegations against him.

Had they suspended him for that, he and his allies could have claimed they were ‘canceling’ him. This gives them a reason.

1 hour ago, JGP said:

Are you ok, scot? 

Yes.  I just hate smoking with the white hot passion of a thousand suns and have done so since I was a child.  Something to do with being repeatedly hot boxed growing up.

:angry2:

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Yeah, but catching a whiff of it as you walk past somebody else's house isn't really worth moaning about, is it?

It is literally not doing you any harm. Nor is catching a whiff of weed, or curries, or whatever.

Nobody owns the air, Scot.

I know.  See above.

Agree with Scot, smoking is utterly grim. I can't think of anything on the planet I find more disgusting than someone smoking. I will always find it amazing that people do it voluntarily. 

And actually, yeah I do find it offensively bad when you can make entire areas stink of that rotten stale smell. Weed is just as bad to be honest, when entire roads can be like this fog cloud of week stink. 

At least vaping smells more like the crappy steam they would pump out in cheap nightclubs.. that's at least tolerable.

Actually the skank of skunk everywhere all the time does screw up enjoyment of the public air for the rest of us.  We can't even sit happily on a park bench and watch birds and leaves w/o the constant reek.  This stink really really really destroys outdoors escape for so many of us.

It's even worse than cigarette reek outdoors because it hangs so much longer in our damp viscous air.

7 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Actually the skank of skunk everywhere all the time does screw up enjoyment of the public air for the rest of us.  We can't even sit happily on a park bench and watch birds and leaves w/o the constant reek.  This stink really really really destroys outdoors escape for so many of us.

It's even worse than cigarette reek outdoors because it hangs so much longer in our damp viscous air.

When I drove Uber during 2020-2021 I hated it when I picked up smokers or tokers.  They just smell really badly.