Who is the most famous/infamous/ahead of the rest in their field?

BigFatCoward

I was at Blenheim Palace today and there was a quote on a plaque about 'the famous landscape gardener Capability Brown' and I though he literally is the famous one. I doubt anyone in the UK could name anyone else.

And it got me thinking who is so far ahead of their field in fame for either competence or notoriety. Some that I came up with -

Queen Elizabeth, Lance Armstrong, Neil Armstrong, Sigmund Freud, any others that spring to mind? 

2 minutes ago, Erik of Hazelfield said:

Lance Armstrong is a great contender in his category but surely Ben Johnson is right up there with him?

Lance is nominated as a cyclist, not a dope fiend and all round cheating cunt.

Ben Johnson isn't even as famous as Usain Bolt when it comes to athletes.  

Thought for a moment we were talking about Ben Jonson there and was a little baffled, though he certainly would have agreed about his pre-eminence among his kind (Shakespeare, Marlowe, Webster). 

I was listening to Gardeners' Question Time this morning so nominate Christopher Lloyd as another (possibly in the UK the Only Other) famous landscape gardener. I guess some blokes may have done some memorable stuff at Versailles and at the Summer Palace near Beijing, but I'm sufficiently insular as to have no idea who they were. 

40 minutes ago, Conflicting Thought said:

how do you separate the two? he is a super cyclist because he is a cheating cunt who used steroids

On the super cyclist side of things, Eddy Merckx would like a word. Armstrong was literally a Tour de France machine and never won any of the other big races.

Capability Brown, for those who read Discworld, is the inspiration behind Bloody Stupid Johnson.

And back on topic, Don Bradman.

16 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Were you watching the horse trials?  Blenheim Place has a world class equestrian event going this weekend. Some outstanding horses and riders there, no doubt.

Nope, but the traffic was horrendous at leaving time because of it  

6 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

On the super cyclist side of things, Eddy Merckx would like a word. Armstrong was literally a Tour de France machine and never won any of the other big races.

Lance was world champion, which is massive until you realise Merckx won 11 grand tours to his 7, 3 world champs to his 1, and 19 monuments to his 0. 

Technically Lance won zero grand tours as all his Tour de France victories were stripped from him. And yes, that’s the right and proper way to count. Cheaters aren’t winners. 

But ok, this thread is about who is the most famous, not necessarily the best, right? People who are so famous that people may know their name only from their profession?

If so I nominate Lord Nelson. Those somewhat interested in naval history may be able to name other admirals, but everyone has heard of Nelson. 

Michael Jordan Basketball.

When you say something like the Michael Jordan of... as in absolute best, then you probably are the best in your own profession.

As for Freud :rolleyes: Bandura > Freud. And Pavlov won a bloody Nobel Prize. But hey, old Sigismund started it.

Thomas Edison (electricity), Walt Disney(Western Animation),Henry Ford(Cars),Edmund Hillary(Mountaineering),Bill Gates(PC),Warren Buffet(Investment),Adolf Hitler(Dictator/Fascist), Christopher Columbus(Explorer),Da Vinci(Renaissance),michael schumacher(F1) and Christopher Reeves(The one and only Superman)