NFL 2023: No Swifties Allowed

Tywin et al.

12 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

I don't remember the fake slide play but there's a clear difference between giving your  self up and advancing the ball.

And as a dolphins fan, I hope cincy holds on.  Nice to worry about seeding instead of In the Hunt for a change.

My bad, it was two years ago, Kenny Pickett, it was replayed over and over on sports shows and they actually changed a rule in the off season to make it a personal foul to do it. He faked a slide, the defenders eased up and he took off and got a 58 yard td run out of it.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWSCsNWqsPE

1 minute ago, dbunting said:

He faked a slide, the defenders eased up and he took off and got a 58 yard td run out of it.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWSCsNWqsPE

More of a head fake.  And still mid field, not a yard to gain situation.   And not a sideline stop the clock.  

Convincing the tackler that you're going to ground without actually going to ground and then extending the play, I don't have an issue with.  Just another juke.  

27 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

More of a head fake.  And still mid field, not a yard to gain situation.   And not a sideline stop the clock.  

Convincing the tackler that you're going to ground without actually going to ground and then extending the play, I don't have an issue with.  Just another juke.  

So how do the defenders ever know when it's ok to hit the player? If they slide you can't touch them so you have to ease off, then they keep running? That thinking is just asking for QB's to get drilled when they are really sliding, leading to even more injuries.

47 minutes ago, dbunting said:

So how do the defenders ever know when it's ok to hit the player? If they slide you can't touch them so you have to ease off, then they keep running? That thinking is just asking for QB's to get drilled when they are really sliding, leading to even more injuries.

If they're actually sliding feet first then they are done running.  Near the sidelines when clock is an issue, goal line, or near the line to gain, a qb with the ball is like any other rusher.  It should be OK for the defense to defend.

If the qb wants to give himself up slides out of bounds 3 yds short of a first down then sure throw a flag.