Course description for a "Game of Thrones" medieval studies class

Seams

9 hours ago, KingAerys_II said:

Important lgbt characters are : the first Rhaena, Daenerys, Daeron son of Aegon V, Satin, Renly, Loras, Nymeria Sand, the Fowler twins, Cersei. I don't know how to relate these characters to history,anyway, it's very difficult

Quite a few English monarchs are theorized by many historians as having been either gay or bi based on contemporary insinuations/rumours and some measure of possible evidence. There's Edward II, James I, William II, Richard I, Richard II, William III, and Queen Anne.

And that's just England, I'm sure there are several other possible LGBTQ monarchs from world history. Alexander the Great comes to mind, but there's no word if his Targaryen equivalent was bi.

Also, gotta love that person up above complaining about university education having an agenda when literally all education that's ever existed has *always* had an agenda. Left, right, centrist, anarchist, there is always an agenda leaning one way or the other. Literally everyone who writes a document for historical preservation has a biased world view, and that bias will reveal itself no matter how "objective" they claim to be, or even try to be. The education boards in every country are full of people with their own biases, filtering what is included and excluded from curriculums. And political indoctrination has always been a factor in that filtering process. When I was in school, I didn't learn about my country's systematic racial discrimination towards non-white people, I had to learn that by hearing people's first-hand accounts of that bigotry within the institutions. And you don't have to look far to see the backlash to the idea of students learning about that side of their country's history.

12 minutes ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

Quite a few English monarchs are theorized by many historians as having been either gay or bi based on contemporary insinuations/rumours and some measure of possible evidence. There's Edward II, James I, William II, Richard I, Richard II, William III, and Queen Anne.

And that's just England, I'm sure there are several other possible LGBTQ monarchs from world history. Alexander the Great comes to mind, but there's no word if his Targaryen equivalent was bi.

Also, gotta love that person up above complaining about university education having an agenda when literally all education that's ever existed has *always* had an agenda. Left, right, centrist, anarchist, there is always an agenda leaning one way or the other. Literally everyone who writes a document for historical preservation has a biased world view, and that bias will reveal itself no matter how "objective" they claim to be, or even try to be. The education boards in every country are full of people with their own biases, filtering what is included and excluded from curriculums. And political indoctrination has always been a factor in that filtering process. When I was in school, I didn't learn about my country's systematic racial discrimination towards non-white people, I had to learn that by hearing people's first-hand accounts of that bigotry within the institutions. And you don't have to look far to see the backlash to the idea of students learning about that side of their country's history.

Actually I don't understand if the task requires kind of fanfic or it requires to remark historical references in Asoiaf

Edited by KingAerys_II