US Politics: the McCarthy Trials

Kalbear

42 minutes ago, LongRider said:

:agree:  Guess she didn't pray hard enough. 

The Flying Spaghetti Monster was unimpressed with her atonement. Not even Raptor Jesus could forgive her sins or those of the people she's worked with. Dark days. Maybe @Myshkin's Lizard People will finally complete the downrising. 

It strikes me that one of the largest, systematic failures or evils of the Trump World when it comes to governing is the lack of transparency.  The Trump Republicans and their lackeys and enablers want to do things in the dark, all the time, in every way.  Even when it doesn't matter.

Which is why it does matter, since we can generally expect them to be doing something behind their backs, without accountability to the voters.

More of the texts between the players (Cyber Ninjas!) in the Arizona "audit" have been released.  They demonstrate this ongoing pattern of secret behavior, like naughty children passing notes in class.

One of the main things I want from the US government and state governments and local governments is transparency.  Show us, the citizens, what you are doing, who you are doing it with, why you are doing it, how you are doing it, and why you are doing it.  I can live with someone in government doing something that I don't necessarily support if I can see the how and why of it.  It is the deeds done in the dark I have the most problems with.

Also Tom Emmer is now the nominee for Speaker. You've got to be fucking kidding me. The dude is a weasel talk show host who is dumb as hell. That fucking coward was afraid of teenage college kids in his mid 40's, but he's tough because he played hockey. GTFO with this piece of shit. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

One of the main things I want from the US government and state governments and local governments is transparency.  Show us, the citizens, what you are doing, who you are doing it with, why you are doing it, how you are doing it, and why you are doing it.  I can live with someone in government doing something that I don't necessarily support if I can see the how and why of it.  It is the deeds done in the dark I have the most problems with.

I want this too and it'll never happen. But I've often thought of a great fantasy story where a person creates a new party with the idea of 100% transparency in all unclassified areas - every meeting, every text, every discussion is always 100% available to everyone. Like a Truman show for politicians.

There are actual practical reasons that this doesn't work - it is hard to make deals with people in this way and it takes more time to be the most diplomatic. And as we've seen things will be spun, altered, edited etc to make things the worst possible light. But boy would it be great.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also Tom Emmer is now the nominee for Speaker. You've got to be fucking kidding me. The dude is a weasel talk show host who is dumb as hell. That fucking coward was afraid of teenage college kids in his mid 40's, but he's tough because he played hockey. GTFO with this piece of shit. 

DOA. Trump didn't want him to be speaker. 

26 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

And yet, of the 9 Republicans who were running, he is by far the most palatable. Which just goes again to show how far we've fallen.

I don't see how he gets to 217 though. He seems like he'll have the exact same problems Scalise had, with the added challenge of Trump explicitly saying he didn't want him as Speaker.

55 minutes ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

DOA. Trump didn't want him to be speaker. 

29 minutes ago, Fez said:

And yet, of the 9 Republicans who were running, he is by far the most palatable. Which just goes again to show how far we've fallen.

I don't see how he gets to 217 though. He seems like he'll have the exact same problems Scalise had, with the added challenge of Trump explicitly saying he didn't want him as Speaker.

We'll see. This man has an amazing track recorded of failing upwards despite the odds. My concern is he could get through just because Republicans need to pick someone at this point and they're running out of options. 

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

We'll see. This man has an amazing track recorded of failing upwards despite the odds. My concern is he could get through just because Republicans need to pick someone at this point and they're running out of options. 

He might get through on fatigue alone at this point. Although apparently in the first internal roll call there were 26 Republicans who said they wouldn't vote for him on the floor. That's better than Jordan, who had 55 no's in his first internal roll call. But these 26 are all hardcore MAGAs, and much more likely to be steadfast no matter what. 

Interestingly, some of the fringe are already okay with Emmer though. Gaetz, Boebert, and a few others have said they'll support him.

Michael Cohen testimony at Trump's civil fraud trial in NYC 

"“I was tasked, by Mr Trump, to increase the total assets based upon a number that he arbitrary selected, and my responsibility, along with Allen Weisselberg predominately, was to reverse-engineer the various different asset classes, increase those assets, in order to achieve the number that Mr Trump had requested,” Cohen said."

1 hour ago, LongRider said:

Michael Cohen testimony at Trump's civil fraud trial in NYC 

"“I was tasked, by Mr Trump, to increase the total assets based upon a number that he arbitrary selected, and my responsibility, along with Allen Weisselberg predominately, was to reverse-engineer the various different asset classes, increase those assets, in order to achieve the number that Mr Trump had requested,” Cohen said."

I assume that Trump is at the courthouse in person? That must have been a warm and cheery reunion…

3 hours ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

I want this too and it'll never happen. But I've often thought of a great fantasy story where a person creates a new party with the idea of 100% transparency in all unclassified areas - every meeting, every text, every discussion is always 100% available to everyone. Like a Truman show for politicians.

There are actual practical reasons that this doesn't work - it is hard to make deals with people in this way and it takes more time to be the most diplomatic. And as we've seen things will be spun, altered, edited etc to make things the worst possible light. But boy would it be great.

You are correct in every way.

But if I have a choice between voting for a candidate who is further along toward opaque, and an alternative who is closer to transparent on this spectrum, I don't care what party affiliations exist, I want to vote for the candidate closer to transparent.

Give me folks closer to Truman and Ike, and let me vote against Johnson and Nixon.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

He might get through on fatigue alone at this point. Although apparently in the first internal roll call there were 26 Republicans who said they wouldn't vote for him on the floor. That's better than Jordan, who had 55 no's in his first internal roll call. But these 26 are all hardcore MAGAs, and much more likely to be steadfast no matter what. 

Interestingly, some of the fringe are already okay with Emmer though. Gaetz, Boebert, and a few others have said they'll support him.

It's the only reason he'll get through and he would have to make all the same concessions McCarthy did. He would probably be even weaker because he doesn't fundraise the same way. I can't see it going well for him. 

57 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I assume that Trump is at the courthouse in person? That must have been a warm and cheery reunion…

Yes, Trump is there, and reports are he don't seem happy.   har  I'm following along here, no paywall;

Michael Cohen tells court Trump tasked him with raising asset values by ‘whatever number Mr Trump told us’ – live (theguardian.com)

6 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

ABC is reporting that Mark Meadows has flipped and been granted immunity.  

Here are one or two details:

Ex-Chief of Staff Mark Meadows granted immunity, tells special counsel he warned Trump about 2020 claims: Sources
Meadows said Trump was "dishonest" on election night, according to sources.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/chief-staff-mark-meadows-granted-immunity-tells-special/story?