Do you agree that Ser Pounce is Pure Good?

Alester Florent

For those of you who don’t know, there are several wikis for villains. None of these are relevant to the forum but there are a lot of threads about them anyway. One of the counterparts is called Pure Good wiki (which, in short, is about heroes with no negative traits), the second is called Near Pure Good wiki (which, in short, is about heroes who are basically Pure Good but someone somewhere has decided that they disagree with them on some level or something. However, there are other cases where a hero can be Near Pure Good even if they don't have any negative qualities because these things are user-compiled and diametrically opposed to the notion of consistency or quality-control). There is also a third wiki called the Inconsistently Admirable wiki (which, in short, is about characters who have done good things, but they still have too many unympathetic qualities to qualify as Pure Good or Near Pure Good). I would hope you can work that out for yourself, but it's best to spell these things out apparently, especially if you do so across multiple threads with the same copy-pasted intro text.

Ser Pounce is not listed on the Pure Good wiki which to be frank is a massive oversight. Here is a list of his good deeds and qualities which should qualify him for the wiki but won't because I'm not going to add him and I doubt anyone else is either:

• He is grateful for the toy that Dorcas made for him, showing goodwill towards servants
  • His name shows that he has been knighted at some stage, which is evidence of valour and chivalrous behaviour in his past
  • Unlike Lady Whiskers, he is dedicated to keeping down the mice in the Red Keep, by catching them himself
  • He guards the Red Keep by hissing at the bad cat, scaring it off
  • He is loyal to his master, the king, helping to protect him against the bad cat
  • He is black, the same colour as the Night's Watch, who guard the realms of men
  • Good starts with a G and that rhymes with P and that stands for pool Pounce
  • Ser rhymes with purr and purring is what cats do when they're happy
  • He has four legs and a tail, making five, the same number of fingers as a hand has, specifically the Hand of the King, Eddard Stark, who was good.

So do you agree that Ser Pounce is Pure Good?

About the mouse catching, he apparently let his sister Lady Wiskers steal one from him.  So, not only is Ser Pounce PURE GOOD!  But he shows his gallantry by treating his sister kindly by letting her keep the mouse she took from him.  What a great kitten.     

Edited by LongRider

4 hours ago, Alester Florent said:
  • Unlike Lady Whiskers, he is dedicated to keeping down the mice in the Red Keep, by catching them himself
  • He guards the Red Keep by hissing at the bad cat, scaring it off
  • He is loyal to his master, the king, helping to protect him against the bad cat

Unless he shits in Tommen's bed, Ser Pounce certainly deserves to be regarded as Pure Good.

2 hours ago, Daeron the Daring said:

Ser Pounce will jump/switch allegiance once the Others reach south. His name will be Ser Bounce afterwards,  for bouncing around the light and dark side of the force. He is the chosen one.

You were the Chosen One! It was said that you would destroy the Sith Others, not join them! Bring balance to the Force Ice and Fire, not leave it in darkness! - Obi-Wan Lady Whiskers, probably

Of course Ser Pounce is Pure Good, what kind of question is that? 
Cats are always pure good, even when they’re bad or naughty, like peeing on someone’s back b/c the person forgot to clean the litter box despite having been warned about it several times. Clearly, that human needed a lesson and the cat was pure good here b/c the lesson was taught. Whether it was learned on the other side remains to be seen. :rofl:

1 hour ago, Craving Peaches said:

I am afraid he is only Near Pure Good™ because he failed to defend his rights. Can't be pure good if you aren't good to yourself.

He did manage to scare off Balerion, though. Which is quite impressive, given that even many people in the Red Keep are afraid of that beast.

Edited by Takiedevushkikakzvezdy

On 10/11/2023 at 2:45 AM, SaffronLady said:

You were the Chosen One! It was said that you would destroy the Sith Others, not join them! Bring balance to the Force Ice and Fire, not leave it in darkness! - Obi-Wan Lady Whiskers, probably

I HATE YOU!

Edited by Ser Arthurs Dawn

6 hours ago, Many-Faced Votary said:

This is a counterpoint, though.

He must be Pure Neutral!

I'm pretty sure that on the official, divinely-ordained and universally accepted scale for such things, Azor Ahai is Inconsistently Heinous. 

I don't buy into that theory though. Cersei is surely Azor Ahai and the true hero(ine) of the story.

8 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

I think the only viable counterpoint is that Melisandre didn’t see Ser Pounce in her visions. As far as we know.

What do you mean?

Visions danced before her, gold and scarlet, flickering, forming and melting and dissolving into one another, shapes strange and terrifying and seductive. She saw the eyeless faces again, staring out at her from sockets weeping blood. Then the towers by the sea, crumbling as the dark tide came sweeping over them, rising from the depths. Shadows in the shape of skulls, skulls that turned to mist, bodies locked together in lust, writhing and rolling and clawing. Through curtains of fire great winged shadows wheeled against a hard blue sky.

Melisandre I, A Dance with Dragons

The king seemed happier than Kevan Lannister had seen him in a long time. From soup to sweet Tommen burbled about the exploits of his kittens, whilst feeding them morsels of pike off his own royal plate. "The bad cat was outside my window last night," he informed Kevan at one point, "but Ser Pounce hissed at him and he ran off across the roofs."

Epilogue, A Dance with Dragons