UK Politics: Tory Closing Down Sale- Everything Must Go

polishgenius

17 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

yeah, but that's £33 from hundred, maybe thousands of other landlords on their books

It possibly might be to generate a new letting fee, as they get a lot more if they have to find me a new tenant as this one moves out if they can't afford it.  I really hope that isn't the case though. 

While I have very much enjoyed Cummings' language during the Covid enquiry, it really does bring to light that absolute chaos and absolute dysfunctionality of the government, especially the Johnson government.

There doesn't really appear to be very much new coming out of the enquiry or things we didn't actually already know, and it seems much more interested in westminster gossip than actually understanding what the response to the pandemic was. 

It also seems like a massive back covering exercise, with everyone pretending they knew everything all along and it was other people who were to blame. 

Boris as the Trolley, swerving from one opinion to the opposite one, seems highly appropriate.

43 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

It possibly might be to generate a new letting fee, as they get a lot more if they have to find me a new tenant as this one moves out if they can't afford it.  I really hope that isn't the case though. 

They may be quite genuinely trying to look after your best financial interests. The rental market is indeed insane right now.

We are looking after someone's estate that includes a flat 1 hour out from central London. The tenant recently gave notice after a year. We lined up another tenant to move in for a 10% higher rent. A month later, before the old tenant had moved out, the new tenant started getting awkward and wanted some extra conditions before signing the contract. The letting agency said drop them, you can now up the rent by a further 10% and easily find an alternative tenant willing to pay that and not quibble. We did and did.

Is self-preservation, carrying out the conservative agenda, or loss minimisation the most important consideration in Sunak's mind when thinking about when to call the election? If he thinks the knives are out for him will be just call an election preferring to be the captain of the sinking ship? And if his Tory opponents think he'll call an election rather than be relegated to the back benches will they challenge him?

I literally started typing “I don’t think there’s a problem with protests”, after all I think there’s a long history of protests held on Remembrance Day around the world. However, stories I’ve seen from many different countries show these protests against the Israeli-Hamas war (that is what they’re talking about, isn’t it?) are turning violent.

Can’t the war dead have a day of peace in their memory? That seems like the more appropriate way to celebrate Remembrance Day.

You may recall right wing protestors took over downtown Ottawa, the capital of Canada, around Parliament Hill, last year. Their idea of protest included desecrating the memorials to the dead, including pissing on the tomb of the Unknown Soldier, so I’m not surprised at the concern.

I see the Jewish cemetery in Vienna was set on fire and swastikas painted on graves, so close to the anniversary of Kristallnacht, Nov. 9. 

Edited by Fragile Bird
Sp

4 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

You may recall right wing protestors took over downtown Ottawa, the capital of Canada, around Parliament Hill, last year. Their idea of protest included desecrating the memorials to the dead, including pissing on the tomb of the Unknown Soldier, so I’m not surprised at the concern.

Maybe part of the problem is that Rishi is so full of shit people tend not to believe what he says. Especially given the clamping down on any type of protest or one’s civil rights. Rishi, Cruella & co are little fascists and gaslighters extraordinaire. 

2 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Maybe part of the problem is that Rishi is so full of shit people tend not to believe what he says. Especially given the clamping down on any type of protest or one’s civil rights. Rishi, Cruella & co are little fascists and gaslighters extraordinaire. 

That is sooooo cynical. But I can’t say it’s not justified, from what I’ve read about the Tories.

I see a Tory MP was fined for, what crime, was it hate speech, or something like that? Yelling “Go back to Bahrain” was not the hate speech I was expecting to hear.

6 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

That is sooooo cynical. But I can’t say it’s not justified, from what I’ve read about the Tories.

I like cynical - at times. But it wasn’t my intention here. It’s just that, firstly, they only lie and lie and lie so it’s difficult for me to believe Rishi when he says he’s concerned. Because, secondly, there is a very real and scary “fascistisation” going on all over the world so it feels too convenient that he is concerned about a protest but not about the raw sewage being dumped everywhere or the NHS or people struggling to stay warm or even to have a roof over their heads.

6 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I see a Tory MP was fined for, what crime, was it hate speech, or something like that? Yelling “Go back to Bahrain” was not the hate speech I was expecting to hear.

This idiot here? 
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/nov/03/tory-mp-bob-stewart-racial-hostility-activist-court-told

How about all the Tory mps involved in sexual misconduct? 
https://www.itv.com/news/2022-07-01/all-the-tories-embroiled-in-sexual-misconduct-allegations-since-2019

They are rotten to the core, and Starmer is Tory Light, so…

I feel like the kind of people who would desecrate a memorial would do so regardless of whether they were at a protest or not. I don't think a blanket ban on all protests is an appropriate or proportionate response. I don't think the vast majority of people want to use protesting as an excuse to vandalise memorials.

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

However, stories I’ve seen from many different countries show these protests against the Israeli-Hamas war (that is what they’re talking about, isn’t it?) are turning violent.

If that happens, then the police can and should respond.

But shutting down non-violent protests- protests for peace- on the basis that there is a hypothetical chance that they might get violent is just... eww. And it's an extra-sensitive topic at the moment anyway because of the new anti-protest bill that gave police greater powers to shut down protests, and concerns that it might be misused.

1 hour ago, mormont said:

Including the war dead in Gaza?

Sure. You haven’t seen me say a word against ceasefire.

But am I misunderstanding what’s going on? Isn’t it just for the one day, or is it permanent?

Edited by Fragile Bird

42 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Sure. You haven’t seen me say a word against ceasefire.

But am I misunderstanding what’s going on? Isn’t it just for the one day, or is it permanent?

Every Saturday at the moment. And the organisers have confirmed that next week's one doesn't start until after the Remembrance events have finished, and doesn't go near the Cenotaph anyway. The major uproar seems to be the usual right-wing suspects wanting to pretend pro-Palestine sentiment means being pro-Hamas.

I... should she be allowed to still be a headmistress after publicly admitting to something this unhinged? 

The advert this is complaining about, for the record, is this - and I have to post this shit-quality repost because Marks and Spencer have, embarrassingly for them, pulled it in response to the backlash.