Whatcha Watching?

Ramsay B.

3 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

with Bill Nighy

Really liked that one.

As for these ABC Murders etc. ones -- there's NOTHING of Poirot in them, and Poirot was always the point, this is why the Poirot books have endured so well, even though his creator was sick of him.  That Malkovich thing was jus well, the word travesty comes to mind.  Death In Venice the same.

I see that in my absence, the Scott Civil Wars have threatened to tear this board apart. As the self-proclaimed Pope of the Church of Scott, I would like to ask you all to look deep into your hearts. If you do this, you shall surely find room for both Tony and Ridley.

The next step on your anatomic exploration, should be the mind. There I urge you to purge all memories of Days of Thunder, Domino, Exodus, Napoleon and so on. Just remember that Tony gifted us Top Gun and Ridley reciprocated with Gladiator.

Let's now take a page from US Democracy and detach from reality to protect the Pax Frater Scott.

Into the late 80s for me film wise.  You can see how the big blockbuster is becoming more prominent.  Although, Back to the Future is an enjoyable movie, I didn’t remember how much of a children's movie it is (even with the mom and son thing).   I was less surprised about Who Framed Rodger Rabbit (although I’m sure nostalgia for the old school cartoons helped that film cross the age divide and it does have the amusing Chinatown parallels).  I would prefer Back to the.Future of the two movies but they are enjoyable.  Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark (from earlier in the decade) holds up much better for all ages I think.

On a completely different note, Aliens stands up really well.  Great movie.  I liked Alien 3, but after reseeing this, Alien 3 really didn't treat Aliens with much respect. 

As well as the blockbusters, I did watch some serious movies.  Even when I know it’s going to happen, Full Metal Jacket is still structured so oddly.  Somebody described it as 2 movies, featuring some of the same characters.  I could see how a third act could bring it all together but apparently the book, which its based on, is similarly structured.  Still, the one later Kubrick movie I do like a lot.

Do the Right Thing feels as topical today as it was back then.  Another very strong movie.  And an amazingly young Giancarlo Esposito.

Watched Killers of the Flower Moon. Why have I heard so little about the fact that De Niro has easily given his best performance in at least a decade? And DiCaprio is terrific as well, absolute shoe-in for a nomination, IMO; he's at his least appealing, not using his natural charm, somehow conveying this inarticulate lummox who can both convince us that he loves his wife while also unthinkingly doing awful things to her and her family for his own benefit. His almost-complete inability to show any moral introspection works quite well. Lily Gladstone as Mollie Brown also deserves a nomination from what I can see, though haven't seen enough of the films to judge most of the other possible contenders. (I see arguments of "category fraud" for her campaigning for lead  rather than supporting, but she's very clearly the female lead of the film, even if she has half as much screen time as DiCaprio or De Niro

Spoiler

I will say that one problem I have with the film is the curious way in which it doesn't at all really explore why the Osage women kept throwing themselves into the arms of the white men around them. The film makes a passing nod to it, with the mother castigating her daughter, and there's that one discussion about why they think these men are handsome or whatever... but is that all? It was when Bill Smith basically jumped from Minnie Brown to Reta Brown inside of a couple of months that I was left scratching my head, especially as there seemed to be an unspoken awareness among the Osage that these men were all predatory and grubbing after their money. 

Mollie's choice of Ernest I at least understood through the way she's portrayed -- I think the best bits were when the stony facade dropped and she chuckled to herself and made some remark in her language -- but there's a couple other relationships that left me scratching my head. There's the fellow who threw over his wife to marry someone's widow not two weeks after her husband died, as well. I imagine these are actually historically correct, but I don't get the why of it. I know we're supposed to just put it down to circumventing the racist laws that prevented the women from fully using their wealth without a white male guardian, but they just seemed to be moving awfully fast, and that castigation from Lizzie really could have deserved some more consideration in the film.

In any case, to go back to the film generally, the only real fault I have with it is that the last quarter feels overly drawn out and while it's poignant at times, I really do think Scorsese could have cut about 30 minutes with no great loss. Otherwise, he's in top form, some strong imagery, excellent production design, really rich subtext, terrific performances, great soundtrack (from Robbie Robertson, RIP; would be great if he got a posthumous Oscar for it). 

Really great supporting cast, too. I recognized Gene Jones immediately from his memorable part as the gas station clerk in No Country for Old Men, I'm really digging Sturgill Simpsons's performances in general and his Henry Grammer is no exception, wonder how the hell Pete Yorn got involved but he was solid, Jesse Plemmons basically bats 1.000, Brendan Fraser and John Lithgow were pleasant surprises to see towards the end, etc. 

I don't think it's better than Oppenheimer, which is also a long film but one that never felt too long, but it's pretty damned good. Definite, and deserved, nominee for best film of the year, even if I don't think it should win.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

Lily Gladstone as Mollie Brown also deserves a nomination from what I can see, though haven't seen enough of the films to judge most of the other possible contenders. (I see arguments of "category fraud" for her campaigning for lead  rather than supporting, but she's very clearly the female lead of the film, even if she has half as much screen time as DiCaprio or De Niro

She actually has more screen time than De Niro if this is accurate. 

Leonardo DiCaprio - 1:49:59 (53.38%) - Lily Gladstone - 56:13 (27.29%) - Robert De Niro - 47:38 (23.12%)

https://x.com/matthewastewart/status/1732581222218428828?s=46&t=LbTlicr2R-wpEQlojJz9Sg

Not sure why the tweet wouldn’t embed. 

3 hours ago, Ran said:

Why have I heard so little about the fact that De Niro has easily given his best performance in at least a decade? And DiCaprio is terrific as well, absolute shoe-in for a nomination, IMO; he's at his least appealing, not using his natural charm, somehow conveying this inarticulate lummox who can both convince us that he loves his wife while also unthinkingly doing awful things to her and her family for his own benefit.

It's been all over the place around here!

On 12/6/2023 at 3:21 AM, Veltigar said:

I see that in my absence, the Scott Civil Wars have threatened to tear this board apart. As the self-proclaimed Pope of the Church of Scott, I would like to ask you all to look deep into your hearts. If you do this, you shall surely find room for both Tony and Ridley.

The next step on your anatomic exploration, should be the mind. There I urge you to purge all memories of Days of Thunder, Domino, Exodus, Napoleon and so on. Just remember that Tony gifted us Top Gun and Ridley reciprocated with Gladiator.

Let's now take a page from US Democracy and detach from reality to protect the Pax Frater Scott.

Days of Thunder is a guilty pleasure of mine.

Let them that is without sin cast the first stone, you idiots.  

10 hours ago, Ran said:

Watched Killers of the Flower Moon. Why have I heard so little about the fact that De Niro has easily given his best performance in at least a decade? And DiCaprio is terrific as well, absolute shoe-in for a nomination, IMO; he's at his least appealing, not using his natural charm, somehow conveying this inarticulate lummox who can both convince us that he loves his wife while also unthinkingly doing awful things to her and her family for his own benefit. His almost-complete inability to show any moral introspection works quite well. Lily Gladstone as Mollie Brown also deserves a nomination from what I can see, though haven't seen enough of the films to judge most of the other possible contenders.

Given the fact that most of the other material he starred in during that period is a variation of Dirty Grandpa, we all saw it as a given :P

5 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Let them that is without sin cast the first stone, you idiots.  

Load up the trebuchet boys!

Anyone watching Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV? I enjoyed the first 3 episodes, but the 4th had a big load of stupid, and brought some unexpected additional fantasy stuff. And I prefer the 50s timeline over the other, which was absent from the 4th episode. I haven't watched the current episode yet.

20 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

And despite Zimmer stating that he was personally dissatisfied with the score, I think it still slaps so goddamn hard.

We went to see The Boy and The Heron, Hayao Miyazaki's latest Studio Ghibli film.

As you would expect, it is lushly beautiful, and the score is achingly top notch.

The story has multiple levels, from the historical to the personal to the psycho-sexual to the environmental, and also (as you would expect) eschews the three-act format.  Instead, we get several layers of harmony, disunion, and new harmony as the plot works its weird way through to the end.

Miyazaki's films have plotlines that (to a Western viewer) resemble nothing so much as that of a Jack Vance novel, but they do work for Japanese cultural expectations.  So I recommend it, but much like Spirited Away or Ponyo, you need to go with the flow in terms of the story development.

This is a much less fraught film that Grave of the Fireflies, although it is initially set in a tragedy of the firebombing of Tokyo.  The themes of death and resilience are far less material, and the outcomes and risk of failure for the characters is much lower.

We spent over an hour discussing it over dinner afterwards, so it was well worth the watch.  See it in the theater.  We saw the subtitled version, and the Japanese-fluent among our group were OK with the subs in terms of communicating the story.

Watching the new Squid Games with my wife. Interesting choice going with the reality tv angle. I think the actors make it feel like any MTV/VH1 show I watched in the mid to late 2000's, so credit to them and the writers. 

Having said that, I like the first season more at this point. Have only watched the first three eps. 

On 11/1/2023 at 7:11 AM, Ramsay B. said:

Just got to Richard Harrow’s intro in Boardwalk. I was wondering when he came into play, forgot if it was s1 or 2. Most storylines are coming back to me now. 

Anyone watch 30 Coins? Heard it was pretty decent and saw it was obviously on Max. 

Love that intro, and the song with it. He's may favorite character throughout that show. 

17 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Watching the new Squid Games with my wife. Interesting choice going with the reality tv angle. I think the actors make it feel like any MTV/VH1 show I watched in the mid to late 2000's, so credit to them and the writers. 

Having said that, I like the first season more at this point. Have only watched the first three eps. 

It is a reality show, it's not actors? 

15 minutes ago, dbunting said:

It is a reality show, it's not actors? 

No it's actually actors but they make it feel like you're watching a reality show like The Challenge. They sit down and talk to the camera about who they like/dislike, etc. I think they do a good job selling it, just prefer the original SG plot so far. 

8 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

No it's actually actors but they make it feel like you're watching a reality show like The Challenge. They sit down and talk to the camera about who they like/dislike, etc. I think they do a good job selling it, just prefer the original SG plot so far. 

Is the new Squid Game a reality show?
Squid Game: The Challenge is a reality game show based on the sensational 2021 South Korean drama series. But this gruesome, creatively misbegotten concept should never have made it past the first meeting.

All the articles I read say it is a reality competition show. I haven't watched it though so maybe I am mistaken.

3 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Is the new Squid Game a reality show?
Squid Game: The Challenge is a reality game show based on the sensational 2021 South Korean drama series. But this gruesome, creatively misbegotten concept should never have made it past the first meeting.

All the articles I read say it is a reality competition show. I haven't watched it though so maybe I am mistaken.

wow.... i knew nothing about this when I started watching it and just assumed it was mocking a reality show, but still scripted with actors. It looks like it is actually a reality show. I feel so duped right now lol.