Whatcha Watching?

Ramsay B.

6 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Watched Leave the World Behind from Mr. Robot creator Sam Esmail. I like end of the world movies so I figured I’d be into it, and I was. I’ve seen some criticism of the runtime, but I thought the pace was fine. Mahershala Ali and Julia Robert’s were both very good in it. 

Agree. And I'll add that Ali and Roberts were excellent together.

Kevin Bacon was also very good in it as usual.

5 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Watched Leave the World Behind from Mr. Robot creator Sam Esmail. I like end of the world movies so I figured I’d be into it, and I was. I’ve seen some criticism of the runtime, but I thought the pace was fine. Mahershala Ali and Julia Robert’s were both very good in it. 

Also watched it and didn't find it particularly compelling, even though I like all the actors, especially Ethan Hawke and Mahershala Ali. I don't know, something was missing from it to call it a good movie for me.

19 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I liked it too. My wife and I were compelled to finish it even though it was late so that’s something. 

On 12/12/2023 at 2:30 AM, Nictarion said:

I saw it as well, it just seems to have come out of nowhere.

I saw some negative reviews which put me off watching it but I’m glad I did because I really enjoyed it, in fact I was totally hooked half way through.

I think there is a case of the movie not meeting expectations for some people which might explain the negativity. Lots of people are just attuned to a certain story structure and want some neat bow, wrapping stories up, and get angry when they don’t get that.

The movie is more concerned with human behaviour and our relationships than it is with telling a story about an apocalypse. The end scene really sums up what it’s trying to show us I felt.

That can be annoying for some but I loved it. 

Edited by Heartofice

Watched Girl with the Dragon Tattoo for the first time, really nice to see how devoted Fincher was to capturing Sweden that he chose to film on location. The fictional Hedestad was filmed in Sollefteå, which is just an hour and a half or so from where we summer. Never read any of Stieg Larsson's novels, but Fincher and the screenwriter seemed to pick exactly the right way to adapt it, particularly with Craig and Mara meeting for the first time at the halfway point.

Then watched Zodiac, continuing the Fincher kick. What a well-made film, with a stellar cast in Jake Gyllenhal, Robert Downey Jr., Mark Ruffalo (honestly, this is one of his best performances ever), Chloë Sevigny, Phillip Baker Hall... Really captures its era, and manages to  lay out the details in a compelling way. Fincher would return to this sort of thing with Mindhunters, the Netflix TV series.

Finally, catching up on Fargo season 5. Jennifer Jason Leigh is wonderfully fun with her straight-out-of-the-40s affected Mid-Atlantic accent, which is fun because it denotes the femme fatale in a show where all the focus is cheerful, charming "Dorothy" with her typical Minnesotan accent (also affected!) The latest episode ends on a really dramatic note, thanks to that familiar scoring. Really curious to see the back half, and what's become of Old Munch as he was absent entirely this episode.

4 hours ago, Ran said:

Watched Girl with the Dragon Tattoo for the first time, really nice to see how devoted Fincher was to capturing Sweden that he chose to film on location. The fictional Hedestad was filmed in Sollefteå, which is just an hour and a half or so from where we summer. Never read any of Stieg Larsson's novels, but Fincher and the screenwriter seemed to pick exactly the right way to adapt it, particularly with Craig and Mara meeting for the first time at the halfway point.

It's a bummer they couldn't keep them together and make the trilogy. I thought they did an excellent job with a great perfect slow burn. 

typical Minnesotan accent 

There isn't one, bro.

1 hour ago, KingAerys_II said:

The Lighthouse, William Defoe, Robert Pattinson

The rare perfect movie, albeit a very weird one. 

1 hour ago, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

Man, I remember that movie. Weird as f*ck. Hard to understand the accents at times too.

Subtitles are key for Robert Eggers films. I had a really hard time understanding the dialogue in The VVitch at the theater, too. 

Edited by Nictarion

Just some Hallmark/Great American Christmas movies. This is only the second year I've been watching them and they're great as background noise. My Mom was watching some so I decided to get into it. 

I decided to get Amazon Prime, the free 30 day trial, and I am watching Rings of Power. Only on episode one. 

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

Subtitles are key for Robert Eggers films. I had a really hard time understanding the dialogue in The VVitch at the theater, too. 

That one I didn't have as much trouble with despite it being set earlier in time, lol.

Edited by The Grey Wolf Strikes Back

6 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Pfft, you non-brits! I understood every word, but I went to the cinema to see the Witch with a german and they came out having not understood 90% of it.

Anyway, I finally finished Fall of the House of Usher. I have pretty mixed feelings, which is pretty standard for Flanagan stuff.

It took me a long time to get through the season which says a lot in of itself. There were episodes where I raced through and couldn't wait for the next one, and then others where I really struggled to maintain attention. 

Overall, the sum of it's parts, I don't think it was all that great. Elements of it I really liked, mostly just the mystery of what was going on and why the kids were dying. The problem for me was a couple of things. Firstly each one of the children was so hideous and unlikable, that it wasn't all that interesting to see them die. There was rarely a point where I felt I knew any of them or cared if they lived or not. They all were quite cartoonish and unreal, so their deaths had little impact.

Then, and this is a problem I have with a lot of Flanagan stuff, is that the horror is not scary. The way things are shot and visualised is very much in your face...  'Look its a scary bloody corpse!! ooooh', and there were only a few moments of genuine tension throughout. I think there is just a level of gloss and production value that takes away from creating genuine feelings of fear, and maybe that is the point. 

Plus a lot of the messaging was a bit too on the nose: 'big pharma bad!!' 

Still compared to a lot of other shows his stuff is very watchable, and I loved Midnight Mass. 

20 hours ago, Chad Vader said:

I equate season 7 Rick and Morty to Season 8 Game of Thrones. Don't need to say much more.

This is awkward, I have enjoyed season 7 so far. I agree that it’s not the best they have ever been, but the level remains reliably high and I came here specifically to say that I feel that the latest Papal themed episode they made was the first classic of the season!

For the rest, I also watched Aliens. This film slaps so hard. Truly a masterpiece that would exhaust my entire arsenal of superlatives if I tried to describe it here once again. By far the best sequel ever made.

Season 7 of Rick and Morty has been okay but not great, and I'm wondering if the writer's room is starting to run out of ideas. We'll see.

Watched Celine Song's directorial debut, Past Lives. It's this year's Aftersun for me, a film that's about subtext and texture and emotion -- in this case longing and regret and being left wondering what might have been had things gone differently. The story of two Koreans, starting when they're 12 in Seoul and are childhood friends with puppy love feelings for one another, ending with her immigrating with her family to Canada, then it picks up 12 years later and ends 12 years after that. The sections in New York City have some really beautiful framing and direction, with splashes of vibrant primary colors here and there just popping gorgeously. The performances from Greta Lee and Teo Yoo perfectly fit the mood.

Looking a bit further, I see Song has very much drawn from her own life experience. It's very good. Films like this -- unrequited love, lost love, ala In the Mood for Love or Portrait of Lady on Fire -- often work for me when matched with direction that can capture the mood and feeling.