I… HATE… SMOKING!!!

Ser Scot A Ellison

I hate walking through my neighborhood at 6 AM and having to smell a neighbor’s fucking cigarette as I walk.  

I hate having to walk by smokers in their throngs on the walkway from my parking garage into my office.

I hate walking to my car in the parking garage that has a big sign saying smoking is prohibited in the garage to find two asshats standing next to my car blocking my drivers door puffing away on their fucking cigarettes who get indignant that I need to get into my car and I point out the “No Smoking” sign.

I hate walking through a department store caught behind an asshat who thinks he’s really clever holding his lite cigarette in his… fucking pocket… who gets indignant when I say something about his asshattery.

I hate remembering being hot boxed by almost every adult in my life as nearly all of them were heavy smokers.

I hate that my kids never got to meet my Grandparents (their great grandparents) because their lives were all shortened by illnesses created or exacerbated by smoking.  

I hate seeing people I know from high school and college who look ten years older than I do now, who are all heavy smokers.  

I HATE SMOKING!!!

I had* a friend who, when told that there is no smoking in my apartment, said I HAD to provide him with a room where he could smoke. I answered I am as obligated to do so as he is to provide me with a room in his apartment where no one ever smoked. 

* Note the use of past tense.

4 minutes ago, baxus said:

I had* a friend who, when told that there is no smoking in my apartment, said I HAD to provide him with a room where he could smoke. I answered I am as obligated to do so as he is to provide me with a room in his apartment where no one ever smoked. 

* Note the use of past tense.

What… the… actual… fuck???

6 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

It's pretty rare for me to see someone doing it these days. It's almost notable as an exception. I'm glad it's dying out as a trend, even if Vaping is a ridiculous looking business.

Strangely, I was in London last year and I was surprised by how many people I encountered smoking on the streets. Like I struggled to remember the last time I encountered that smell in public. Maybe it's just because I so rarely walk around urban centers these days.

30 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Do people still smoke actual cigarettes?! 

My wife smokes about a pack a week, but she does it in the arbour in the garden.  I can't be arsed with the fight to make her quit for 2 or 3 a day. 

And weirdly she doesn't stink of smoke ever (its not just I'm used to it, when we first got together it blew my mind that she didn't stink of smoke).

8 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

When I went to LA and SF last year, I had a much worse problem with the smell of weed all over the streets and parks there…that’s even worse in some ways. 

Honestly the smell of someone toking in the parking garage (the same one with the big “no Smoking” sign) is what really set me off this morning.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

8 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I remember the appalling days in Canada when people smoked in elevators. But that was about 40 years ago now.

My sister lives in Toronto so i visit often, why the fuck is everyone in Toronto always smoking weed? Smell is literally near parks, schools, downtowns, residential areas etc. 

11 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

My sister lives in Toronto so i visit often, why the fuck is everyone in Toronto always smoking weed? Smell is literally near parks, schools, downtowns, residential areas etc. 

I totally agree with you. Now that it’s legal, it’s absolutely astonishing to see how many people smoke it. Trudeau’s announcement before the election that it would be legalized was mocked by the Conservatives and the media, but look who’s laughing now.

All the smoking is done outdoors because you really can’t smoke (anything) indoors. When I walk around the park catching my Pokémon the smell can just hang in the air, gross and disgusting.

29 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I remember the appalling days in Canada when people smoked in elevators. But that was about 40 years ago now.

How about the staff rooms at school? My parents were both principals back then and sometimes we'd spend the day at their schools when we had PA/PD days. I'd be trying to fill in my Johnny Quest/Space Ghost colouring book with tears running down my cheeks.

Edited by Tongue Stuck to Wall

10 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

gudging by the ammount of fag butts arround the entrance to my workplace.  lots of people still smoke cigarettes.

Yeah, I know a lot of smokers. It's common among the working class, people in the trades, and also people formerly involved in the drug culture (probably currently as well) My brother is a smoker. He quit for years, but then it started up again during a time of great stress.

I know 3 smokers in one of my two D&D groups. 2 are in the trades and 1 is a cook that was involved in drug culture.

My job just as the pandemic hit I had these 3 work friends. They were all 3 smokers, but I didn't even know until they invited me outside on the last day after we were laid off. 

Yeah, I know a lot of smokers. It's common among the working class, people in the trades, and also people formerly involved in the drug culture (probably currently as well) My brother is a smoker. He quit for years, but then it started up again during a time of great stress.

I know 3 smokers in one of my two D&D groups. 2 are in the trades and 1 is a cook that was involved in drug culture.

My job just as the pandemic hit I had these 3 work friends. They were all 3 smokers, but I didn't even know until they invited me outside on the last day after we were laid off. 

Edited to add, it's formerly involved in the drug culture because a lot of people that stay involved in it are dead where as smoking doesn't necessarily kill you fast. Had a friend that got addicted to meth, went to prison, got released, and died in a motorcycle accident just after. There's another former friend also addicted to meth that is probably dead, just heard he vanished last year.

Edited by Martell Spy