Marvel's Multiverse of Maddening Returns

Myrddin

12 minutes ago, dbunting said:

the heroes are too goody two shoes,

See, this is the thing. I'm not actually one who believes a goody-two-shoes character is a bad thing- Superman is my favourite superhero after all- but Reed Richards is not really like that at all. Sure, he's a good guy overall (most of the time), but he's also an egomaniac on at least the level of Tony and Strange, with Xavier-like levels of tending to manipulate or talk down to friends and family.

2 hours ago, sifth said:

Yup, this is sort of why I prefer Manga. It’s always one author, with one vision.

I mean, loads of western comics are like this. It's mostly really just the big two superheroes, plus AD2000 projects, that are this kind of work-for-hire.

53 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Casting has as much to do with success as anything else. Anyone else as Iron Man and I don't think this whole craze ever happens.

Absolutely. One of the most important factors in the MCU's success IMO was the casting of RDJ as Tony Stark... And that came down to luck as much as anything else.

Disney didn't want him in the role. Favreau fought hard for him. He took a reduced salary to do it. The rest is history.

And I don't buy for a minute that Tom Cruise was anything more than fan casting. No chance that Marvel studios would pony up the cash Cruise was demanding back in the mid-naughties. 

4 hours ago, Kalbear said:

A lot of them do. They end and get canceled or are a limited series or they get reset and retold.

Limited series are part of continuity (or they aren't, but then get retconned into continuity). Same with resets: even DC's hard resets didn't affect Batman continuity, for example, and a lot of the other hard reset stuff with New52 got retconned. In fact, retcons basically mean that no, none of these stories ended. If they're not in continuity now, they will be the moment an author decides they are. It's all one big story, and that's the point of the big two shared universes.

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

See, this is the thing. I'm not actually one who believes a goody-two-shoes character is a bad thing- Superman is my favourite superhero after all- but Reed Richards is not really like that at all. Sure, he's a good guy overall (most of the time), but he's also an egomaniac on at least the level of Tony and Strange, with Xavier-like levels of tending to manipulate or talk down to friends and family.

OTOH stories that lean into this aspect of Reed too hard are generally quite dull. (Same with Charles.) Reed needs to be basically a good guy who learns his lessons about family (but then unlearns them because comics - same as Johnny has to always be growing up, Ben comes to terms with his appearance and then goes back to being maudlin about it, and so on).

5 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I mean, loads of western comics are like this. It's mostly really just the big two superheroes, plus AD2000 projects, that are this kind of work-for-hire.

I was mostly taking about DC and Marvel. I could never get invested in a X Men or Batman series growing up, because every year or so, a new author and artist would take over and completely change the series. This is the same reason I could never get invested in Doctor Who either.

9 hours ago, dbunting said:

The original Ant Man was fun, the sequels not so much. The original focused more on Rudd and his criminal friends and for me that made the movie. Once they pivoted to Wasp and his daughter it lost me.

I love Paul Rudd and I'll always love that the climax of Ant Man takes place in his daughters bedroom. That was very creative. I just hate that we're constantly told how horrible of a person Scott is in that film, but whenever he's on screen he's just friendly Paul Rudd. I love Paul Rudd, but has the guy ever played a mean character, because even when he was playing Leslie Knope's rival on Parks and Rec, he was the most friendly rival character in existence, lol

Edited by sifth

24 minutes ago, sifth said:

I love Paul Rudd and I'll always love that the climax of Ant Man takes place in his daughters bed room. That was very creative. I just hate that we're constantly told how horrible of a person Scott is in that film, but whenever he's on screen he's just friend Paul Rudd. I love Paul Rudd, but has the guy ever played a mean characters, because even when he was playing Leslie Knope's rival on Parks and Rec, he was the most friendly rival character in existence, lol

Loved that scene for a specific and very different reason.  Playstation games Army Men, Sarge's Heroes etc.  That scene immediately reminded me of the feel of that game and brought back memories of playing w my daughter and nephews.

1 hour ago, sifth said:

I love Paul Rudd, but has the guy ever played a mean characters, because even when he was playing Leslie Knope's rival on Parks and Rec, he was the most friendly rival character in existence, lol

I don't know why they call it a campaign, because up until now it's been a cam-pleasure

On 11/22/2023 at 4:50 AM, Kalbear said:

Was thinking about this more too - that stories, well, end. Endgame was a very good ending for the overall set of shows, with three major character deaths/retirements and the biggest bad being defeated. It's okay to end stories! It's okay to move on or do something different. 

But it's kind of weird to just...keep going after an ending that big. 

You can start a new story and I think that might be getting to the problem. Most of what they've done feels stuck in-between telling a new, self contained story and keeping the connectivity to the wider MCU. There's too much obvious connectivity being jammed into them for them to land emotionally as complete stand-alone stories, everything feels like its merely set up for something else. But at the same time that something else has taken too long to materialize. The little building towards Kang dynasty hasn't been compelling, or exciting and even what there is has been restricted to 1 movie and 1 tv show, so the rest is just stringing together a bunch of set up with no pay off.

Avengers had the spinning money shot as the first hit of pay off for the first 5 years of the MCU but there's nothing comparable now, and probably too many characters involved for a checkpoint pay off to even work.

MCU? Multiverse, blah, blah.

I just now said to myself, "Self; isn't that Kraven movie coming out soon?"

It was supposed to come out in October. It's been pushed back to August 2024, apparently due to the writers strike. 

You know, given the dearth of CBM content hitting theaters next year (No DC, only one MCU film) I'm cautiously optimistic that Aaron Taylor Johnson's abs might just deliver some box office cheddar. 

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

You know, given the dearth of CBM content hitting theaters next year (No DC, only one MCU film) I'm cautiously optimistic that Aaron Taylor Johnson's abs might just deliver some box office cheddar. 

So you're hoping people won't be...absent from movie theatres? 

:D 

I watched The Marvels. I enjoyed it despite its weaknesses. I think Kamala is the standout of the three leads, Iman Vellani is good in the role and her enthusiasm for everything does help the film feel fun. As in the TV show Kamala and her family are very likeable. I think Carol suffers from too much backstory that didn't appear in any of the films about what's been happening with the Kree and Skrulls and this film doesn't really have time to cover all that. Monica was fine but it felt like she didn't get much time to explore her own character beyond her relationship with Carol.

The three of them swapping positions when they use their powers did make some of the action scenes stand out a bit from other Marvel films, although it did end up in the traditional Marvel CGI climax. A couple of days ago I watched the most recent Dr Who episode and I think in some ways this has a similar feel to it, it moved along at a good pace and was fun to watch but ended up with a fairly daft ending.

Overall, I enjoyed it more than Quantummania but it's not going to be remembered as one of the classic MCU movies.

Finally found time to catch up on Loki. Agree with what pretty much everyone seemed to think here: the season meandered, but the ending fucking slapped.

Spoiler

I also appreciated that they went with 'the loom was never a good thing' because I thought that as soon as it was introduced. It does make the characters seem a bit slow that not one of them doubted its purpose even though they know the bad guy designed it, but I appreciate that's a bit of an 'Eagles to Mount Doom' question.

It is a little odd that Loki has ended up in essentially the same role as the Watcher. 

Edited by polishgenius

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Finally found time to catch up on Loki. Agree with what pretty much everyone seemed to think here: the season meandered, but the ending fucking slapped.

Hide contents

I also appreciated that they went with 'the loom was never a good thing' because I thought that as soon as it was introduced. It does make the characters seem a bit slow that not one of them doubted its purpose even though they know the bad guy designed it, but I appreciate that's a bit of an 'Eagles to Mount Doom' question.

It is a little odd that Loki has ended up in essentially the same role as the Watcher. 

But hey: 

Spoiler

At least he finally got his throne.

And we got that goddamn slapper of a track, Purpose Is Glorious. Can we please have Natalie Holt just score everything from now on? That woman is a goddamn cosmic treasure.