Videogames: All Valves on Deck

IlyaP

There goes my Thursday: 
https://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-version-of-bethesdas-biggest-rpg-is-finally-finished-and-its-free-for-everyone/

The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall - Unity 1.0 is finished and has been released. And it's not the same as the GOG Cut made available on the GOG store a few years ago - that can safely be ignored in favor of the updated release Gavin and his team have just released. 

Still chipping away at Outer Wilds, having taken a pause over Christmas, and good grief this game is good. Just when I'm about to start getting frustrated because I'm trying to get into something or find something and my trail's gone a bit cold, I stumble on something new and that leads me to a trove of new stuff to chase down. Admittedly almost everything I find just leads to another question, but what can you do. Presumably at some point it starts coming together- I feel like I can't be that far from that stage now.

17 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Still chipping away at Outer Wilds, having taken a pause over Christmas, and good grief this game is good. Just when I'm about to start getting frustrated because I'm trying to get into something or find something and my trail's gone a bit cold, I stumble on something new and that leads me to a trove of new stuff to chase down. Admittedly almost everything I find just leads to another question, but what can you do. Presumably at some point it starts coming together- I feel like I can't be that far from that stage now.

One of my favourite games of all time, absolute mindfuck.

17 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

My playthrough of Elden Ring bosses, after a certain point was:

Reveal hidden contents

Use the clone of myself with items on it to cause everything to agro it and not me, then approach safely and beat everyone into dust without any repercussions.

This strategy sounds very appealing to me and I will look into finding the Ashes you describe.

Outer Wilds is amazing. The sense of discovery in that game is unparalleled. I've been meaning to play again now that it's been a few years and that DLC has been released.

20 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Still chugging along at Elden Ring, about 35 hours in now. I'm done with Raya Lucaria Academy and starting to explore Caelid. I'm still having a great time, but some of my usual Dark Souls gripes are starting to creep in after being blessedly absent for the beginning of the game.

Hide contents

I've started running into my first bullshit bosses. Renalla was deeply annoying because her giant laser attack could take you out in one hit. Then to get back to her, you had to run for 3-4 minutes from the closest bonfire and do the easy but time-consuming first stage of her boss fight all over again. Not a fan but I finally got lucky, overpowered her with wolves, and got through. I really hope that this kind of bonfire placement/time wasting is a rarity instead of a sign of things to come.

I think I've also reached the point of the game where the challenge is ramped up by simply throwing more enemies at you. Catacombs bosses are now two of the dog gargoyles instead of one. I've never been a fan of these boss fights.

Sounds like you've already made the adjustment.  A lot of the encounters are designed assuming you're using spirit ashes, it seems to me.  But in general the big dog gargoyles are tanky pains in the ass.

Last giveaway of Epic's winter giveaway spectacular, and it's 2021's Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, which got solid reviews as an action-adventure sort of game.

Edited by Ran

I had logged in every day except the day they also gave away the Saints Row Reboot, imao. Though admittedly, I'd still have to find the time to play though... every other Saints Row game first, so there is that.

17 hours ago, Ran said:

Last giveaway of Epic's winter giveaway spectacular, and it's 2021's Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, which got solid reviews as an action-adventure sort of game.

I don’t why but in my region Steam always has much better deals than EGS. That along with the terrible storefront means I’ve never used Epic for any PC gaming. 

Only game I’m tempted by is Alan Wake II but I’ll wait till it’s at 75% discount as I really don’t wanna use EGS unless it’s a steal or if it comes to Steam I’ll buy it immediately.  The irony of how Epic sues Apple or Google for monopolistic practices but then walls off it’s own games on PC hasn’t escaped me…

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

46 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

I don’t why but in my region Steam always has much better deals than EGS. That along with the terrible storefront means I’ve never used Epic for any PC gaming. 

Only game I’m tempted by is Alan Wake II but I’ll wait till it’s at 75% discount as I really don’t wanna use EGS unless it’s a steal or if it comes to Steam I’ll buy it immediately.  The irony of how Epic sues Apple or Google for monopolistic practices but then walls off it’s own games on the PC hasn’t escaped me…

Hey, free game is free game! Especially if it's a Not Shite Game! 

Gift horse! Mouth! And, uh, all that.

F R E E  G O O D  G A M E !

I have probably 20 free games on my Epic launcher now. I've never spent a dime with them. I think I put like 3 hours into Civ 5 before I remembered I only really liked Civ 2 and 3 and that was more than two decades ago. (Brilliant games just don't do turn based stuff anymore).

Honestly I've gotten some real keepers through their free game weeks, but I'm just enormously stubborn and never play new games in favor of my boring grindy old-reliables. It's certainly an interesting business strategy to try to pull Steam guys like me away with solid games for free, hoping you'll buy missing expansions etc, and generally log on to Epic to buy more stuff. 

4 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Hey, free game is free game! Especially if it's a Not Shite Game! 

Gift horse! Mouth! And, uh, all that.

F R E E  G O O D  G A M E !

EGS is better than Origin or Uplay was I’ll give you that. But PC is already a platform  that gets left out of console exclusives, do we really need to encourage companies like Epic to fragment the platform further ? Yes Valve developed games are also exclusive to Steam but it’s already a dominant platform and rarely publishes first party anymore and certainly doesn’t incentivise third parties to be Steam exclusive.

I respect GOG more cause again they don’t force exclusivity even on their own first party titles and actually have a USP in giving gamers classics that have been refined and ported from older systems.

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

4 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Free game is tautologically free. QED. :)

Indeed, I checked and have over 315 free games on Epic (a handful of codes did come from humble bundle though) and of the 3 or so I've bought directly, all were purchased during the winter 75% sale + use of annual coupon (most recently RDR2 for $14 this year).  As IlyaP said- while its nice to have everything bundled up in Steam, free is free.  Its not like the launchers are sucking up great deals of hard drive space and you can just keep them from loading on startup until you desire to play one of the games. 

Edited by horangi
undercount

I think I'm at 372 games, of which I've actually purchased... uh, 3, also on the Winter Sales (HadesRebel Galaxy Outlaw, and now Red Dead Redemption 2).

If Epic wants to throw money at giveaways, I'm not going to gainsay them.

Usually at least a few years old and I guess I never really track what's AAA and what's not ... but I know I saw Ghostrunner, Ghostwire: Tokyo, Outer Worlds, Fallout 3, Destiny 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy just this past few weeks.

There were other games but those are the ones that come to mind.

1 hour ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

But does EGS offer any actual AAA games for free or is it just indie titles ? I haven’t gotten any AAA deals in india atleast and prices for those games are higher or same as Steam. 

They have in the past. Last year, they gave out Death Stranding. Other big titles over the years  ... The Dishonored games, ControlGTA VBioshock Collecton, the Tomb Raider TrilogyCivilization VIHomeworld Remastered CollectionMetro 2023, the Batman Arkham trilogy, Fallout: New VegasHitman, Destiny 2...

As for actual sale prices, I paid about 12.50 euros for RDR2 in this winter sale -- lowest price it's ever been on Steam was 19.79 euros. That's because of the 33% coupon on top of their sale price, so they basically undercut Steam on games when they're both mutually putting them on sale during the holidays.

Now, maybe it's the case that Epic doesn't offer as deep discounts out of the US/Western Euro territories as Steam does, I don't know.

ETA: Oh, got Witcher 3 Complete for like 9 euros in another winter sale, plus the coupon. That's like a euro less than the lowest Steam price.

Edited by Ran