Videogames: All Valves on Deck

IlyaP

Survivor's clearly been patched properly, as it's now been several hours since I started and haven't encountered any of the problems that plagued the initial release version made available for PCs back in April of this year. 

I think it's fair to say: "there goes my weekend."

9 hours ago, IlyaP said:

For whatever it's worth, the game does get better after Bracca, though there are some *severe* optimisation issues that many have noted that take place upon reaching both Dathomir and Kashyyyk. Even my machine, which runs CP77 with no issue, gets occasionally choppy with those two planets in a few spots. 

That said - the game's score by Gordy Habb and Stephen Barton? Mwah. These guys need more work and need to be scoring the shows/films. They're just such wonderful composers. 

Couldnt get really invested into the story either, although i agree i didnt give it much of a chance but even The Force Unleashed, with all its faults in terms of gameplay, had a story that was incredibly gripping right from the start that made me finish that game back in the day. And man was that game graphically ahead of its time! Makes me miss the OG LucasArts studio when it wasnt just a licensor as it is now. 

7 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Couldnt get really invested into the story either, although i agree i didnt give it much of a chance but even The Force Unleashed, with all its faults in terms of gameplay, had a story that was incredibly gripping right from the start that made me finish that game back in the day. And man was that game graphically ahead of its time! Makes me miss the OG LucasArts studio when it wasnt just a licensor as it is now. 

I've never tried The Force Unleashed, so I've purchased it just now on GoG based on your recommendation, which will allow me to at least get a feel for how its gameplay and design compares to Jedi Survivor, which is honestly impressing me at each turn. The one downside that I suspect might make you roll your eyes is the integration with Origin or EA App or whatever we're calling it these days. The install size is also *bonkers*, at 124 gigs. 

But once TFU is done installing, I'll try it out over lunch. Is this also the game that features Starkiller squaring off (somehow) against a Star Destroyer? 

1 hour ago, IlyaP said:

I've never tried The Force Unleashed, so I've purchased it just now on GoG based on your recommendation, which will allow me to at least get a feel for how its gameplay and design compares to Jedi Survivor, which is honestly impressing me at each turn. The one downside that I suspect might make you roll your eyes is the integration with Origin or EA App or whatever we're calling it these days. The install size is also *bonkers*, at 124 gigs. 

But once TFU is done installing, I'll try it out over lunch. Is this also the game that features Starkiller squaring off (somehow) against a Star Destroyer? 

Haha yeah a destroyer and there are instances of using the force against tie fighter type ships…yeah this game did Rey before Rey :P Yeah EA and origin is another reason I tend to avoid it. I’m trying to limit supporting EA just to the new BioWare titles due now. 

The story of TFU is well worth purchasing….back in the end there was even more hype around it as it was the first time we were getting an insight in any Star Wars medium on how the Rebellion had been formed (this was pre-Rebels). It also has really good romance. It actually won a WGA award for best writing back in the day. The graphics are also pretty good but gotta warn you the level design is the games only weaknesss , it can get pretty linear and frustrating. I really loved the boss fights though. Made you feel like you were in a SW movie. 

Also this was a pre Disney SW game, so you’ll get a lot more disturbing subject matter like genocide, slavery, on screen killing, etc which is more in line with the previous SW games. 

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

41 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

It actually won a WGA award for best writing back in the day. The graphics are also pretty good but gotta warn you the level design is the games only weaknesss , it can get pretty linear and frustrating. I really loved the boss fights though. Made you feel like you were in a SW movie. 

Is that...Sam Witwer?! 

Also, holy hell, the UI is *dreadful* - it's all keyboard-based, with no mouse support in the menu screens? Jeezus. Was this a console release that was ported to the PC? 

I'm on the first mission as...whatever my character is named (which hasn't been shared in-story with me yet, for reasons I am sure I will learn along the way). 

The expansive levels are impressive, and the highlighting mechanism for interactive objects isn't too bad, but can get lost in the noise of All The Things Happening On Screen. But at least it doesn't leave one guessing. 

16 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Is that...Sam Witwer?! 

Also, holy hell, the UI is *dreadful* - it's all keyboard-based, with no mouse support in the menu screens? Jeezus. Was this a console release that was ported to the PC? 

I'm on the first mission as...whatever my character is named (which hasn't been shared in-story with me yet, for reasons I am sure I will learn along the way). 

The expansive levels are impressive, and the highlighting mechanism for interactive objects isn't too bad, but can get lost in the noise of All The Things Happening On Screen. But at least it doesn't leave one guessing. 

Hah yeah it wasn’t a great pc port and needed a monster rig back in the day, yup it’s Sam. 

23 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Hah yeah it wasn’t a great pc port and needed a monster rig back in the day, yup it’s Sam. 

The UX is definitely sub-par (no offense meant, I know you love the game, but compared to other games out there, this interface is hella creaky and antiquated). 

And oh god, Quicktime Events? Why LucasArts, whyyyyy.

22 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Hey the late 2000s were the heydays of having QTEs in practically every game :P   What’d you think of the story,characters, atmosphere and general feel of the world so far ? That’s where the game shines IMO.

That era is when I ended up leaving gaming due to university studies, so I'm learning only now that I missed a few years of some rather suspect design decisions. Looking at you, Shenmue!

Otherwise the game's good! Very big, expansive levels, and the havok physic system is a hoot, if a bit fiddly. Laser blaster deflection seems to be an automatic feature, rather than something players need to do, if I'm understanding the mechanics of the game correctly? 

Also: what's with Captain Cleavage? Doesn't the empire have a dress code? 

11 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

That era is when I ended up leaving gaming due to university studies, so I'm learning only now that I missed a few years of some rather suspect design decisions. Looking at you, Shenmue!

Otherwise the game's good! Very big, expansive levels, and the havok physic system is a hoot, if a bit fiddly. Laser blaster deflection seems to be an automatic feature, rather than something players need to do, if I'm understanding the mechanics of the game correctly? 

Also: what's with Captain Cleavage? Doesn't the empire have a dress code? 

Been a long time since I played but deflection being automatic was definitely a thing in the older sw games so must be…yeah as a kid those levels felt endless, sometimes to my frustration lol. I also think for its time the character animations were fantastic-ILM collaborated with LucasArts for the mocap work.

2 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Been a long time since I played but deflection being automatic was definitely a thing in the older sw games so must be…yeah as a kid those levels felt endless, sometimes to my frustration lol.

A weird thing to need to adjust to, as in Fallen Order and Survivor, it's a mouse-control feature and tied into the system and mechanics of the game in a very satisfying way. 

2 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

I also think for its time the character animations were fantastic-ILM collaborated with LucasArts for the mocap work.

So it IS motion capture! I did wonder...

They released a considerably longer and more epic version of that Star Citizen engine stress test demo from a few months back. This is looking pretty bonkers.

Still not sure if this will lead to a compelling gameplay loop, but the technology is incredible.

27 minutes ago, Werthead said:

They released a considerably longer and more epic version of that Star Citizen engine stress test demo from a few months back. This is looking pretty bonkers.

Still not sure if this will lead to a compelling gameplay loop, but the technology is incredible.

Remember vampire the Masquerade 2 had a trailer and gameplay footage out 6 years ago before being cancelled for release, don’t invest in this project till it’s officially out, I still think it’s vapourware. 

23 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Remember vampire the Masquerade 2 had a trailer and gameplay footage out 6 years ago before being cancelled for release, don’t invest in this project till it’s officially out, I still think it’s vapourware. 

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 wasn't cancelled, it was transferred to a different dev and has a 2024 release date. They've been releasing trailers and info on it for months now.

Star Citizen you can play right now. Not very well (it's janky as fuck, still), but the game clearly exists. Whether it can ever be optimised into a fully working game they can actually sell at retail without being laughed out the room is another question.

Finally finished Star Wars: Jedi - Survivor this Sunday evening, after starting it on Friday afternoon. Been a good long while since I've binged a game this hard, this fast, and finished it off in three sessions. Took 28 hours to get there, in the end. 

That was some good warsing with survivors in the stars. 

I had been a bit on a DC trip again these days and so I spent some time this weekend installing Arkham Knight. The only Arkham game I hadn't played as of yet (I installed it last year I think, but never got around to actually play it and so uninstalled it again).

I... think it was a mistake to do so sooo late. The game has massive issues with both Windows 11 and my graphics card. Had to install third party software to even boot it up. Then had massive lag spikes and massively delayed lip movements in dialogue. Still managed to play a bit through the prologue, even if it was rough. Then booted it up again yesterday night, ended up facing even more severe lag to the point I couldn't get off the rooftop I spawned on. So I lowered the details, nothing changed. I lowered the resolution, nothing changed, except the picture becoming so blurry my eyes hurt. So I put the resolution back to where it was... and all of the sudden the game runs smooth like butter! :blink:

The hell? I ended up reverting to the medium settings I started out with and yet somehow it had fixed the issue. What kind of spaghetti code nonsense is that? I played for half an hour and didn't encounter a single stutter, the graphics and physics even in the upscaled cutscenes were perfectly fluid. I'm not complaining. XD

Also... maybe it's just because it was so long ago I played the games, but... somehow the combat in Arkham Knight feels better than in the previous games. Somehow smoother and less prone to mistime counters for silly reasons. I'm not sure, but I think to remember that I found the combat smoother in Asylum than in City and Origins and was a bit worried about Knight for that reason... and yet the game almost plays itself, despite not bothering with a tutorial as the developers seem to expect you to have played the previous ones and just drop you right into the game after a creepy prologue where you play a fear gassed police officer. Also booh, video game logic restrictions! Because I immediately caught that the guy in the booth was Scarecrow, I actually refused to shoot any of the monsters and just fired into the ceiling. When Batman meets the officer at the GCPD, the other officers still say "he will never forgive himself for what he did in that diner", despite me specifically not killing anyone. Would have been a fun easter egg if you get different dialogue for restraining yourself.

Edit: Okay... kudos to the developers! I just looked it up and there IS different dialogue for the diner scene! But only if you don't fire your gun at all! If you do, it automatically assumes you shot people.

Edited by Toth

On 11/21/2023 at 8:11 PM, AndrewJ said:

I never played Zero. But my introduction to the series was watching a Giant Bomb East playthrough of it at release. I've played many of the subsequent games.

And the story of Zero has some really powerful stuff in it later on and it probably remains my favourite entry in the franchise for that reason. Later games (chronologically) are good, but they just don't hit quite as hard. So, it's possibly worth persevering with (or maybe not, if it's just not your thing).

I think I've hit my limit, unfortunately. I got to the end of chapter 6 and the style of storytelling (essentially, the very long and repetitive cutscenes) is just not for me - a problem I have with most JRPGs these days. I think if I were closer to the end of the game or enjoyed the combat more, I might be able to stick through, but it seems I'm less than a third of the way there.

Oh well. I think people should still give this series a try to see if it's for them. It's very unique, and I still really enjoyed the sidequests and minigames.

On 11/26/2023 at 6:57 AM, IlyaP said:

Finally finished Star Wars: Jedi - Survivor this Sunday evening, after starting it on Friday afternoon. Been a good long while since I've binged a game this hard, this fast, and finished it off in three sessions. Took 28 hours to get there, in the end. 

That was some good warsing with survivors in the stars. 

I liked it a lot too  although  

Spoiler

Charles from Red dead 2/Sekiro's heel turn was way too obvious.  I like that it was the Empire strikes back of the story though, I'm curious if the last of the trilogy will have Cal get killed by Vader finally.  Probably not as its Disney but you never know.  Its what they have been building to though.

14 hours ago, Slurktan said:

I liked it a lot too  although  

A good game aside from...

Spoiler

Oh god, the betrayal. It was so obviously telegraphed and so I knew it was coming early on, especially once I heard the character's name and realised the Point Break connection (which has since been confirmed by the game's writers). 

Also, he was clearly too bland to live.