Videogames: All Valves on Deck

IlyaP

6 minutes ago, Rhom said:

And the kicker is... before the advent of AAA gaming and the insistence on the latest groundbreaking graphics and full voice acting, they could turn around absolute classic games in a series in a year or two.

Look the classics are great but I’m absolutely glad we have full blown cinematics and VA now in RPGs, makes them so much more immersive. Let’s not adjust ourselves for EAs greed.

Just now, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Look the classics are great but I’m absolutely glad we have full blown cinematics and VA now in RPGs, makes them so much more immersive. Let’s not adjust ourselves for EAs greed.

I'm not adjusting myself for EA's greed... I'm saying gaming was far better then than it is now.  When we didn't wait for a decade to get a remake of one game broken into three parts.  When you could reasonably expect a game to be released in a completed state and not rely on a day one patch.  When creativity was still rewarded.

On 5/21/2024 at 7:59 PM, JGP said:

Started playing Diablo IV Season 4 this morning [haven't touched it since S2] and they've totally revamped the gearing system. It's much, much better  They've also tweaked the ilvl itemization a fair bit from what I've been able to glean. Having fun.

edit: and I'm 50 already. so the levelling has been upped dramatically as well

I've been playing too. It's great fun. Not perfect and I suspect over the next year or so, it'll be a really really good game, but the changes they made in season 4 are very much in the right direction. I appreciate they stole tempering from Last Epoch and Pits from D3. They were good mechanics worth stealing. The leveling is fast, the monster density large and the itemization easier to manage. I have a level 100 necro minion build and working on a double swing dust devil Barb which will ultimately turn into a Thorns Barb assuming I can get a baller Razorplate. I'll probably do a heartseaker rogue next since it's pretty easy to level and I'm having a lot of fun.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I'm not adjusting myself for EA's greed... I'm saying gaming was far better then than it is now.  When we didn't wait for a decade to get a remake of one game broken into three parts.  When you could reasonably expect a game to be released in a completed state and not rely on a day one patch.  When creativity was still rewarded.

Yeah but with better visuals, you do need more time…it’s a trade off but I think it’d ultimately worth it. I’m so glad that Larian went with full blown cinematics from DOS2 to BG3, the 6 year wait for worth it. The FF remake is unfortunate, but it depends on the individual studios…it can be done. You can have a complete game made in a reasonable time with great graphics and visuals and in manageable costs…a lot of publishers don’t know how to do it unfortunately. 

I think games are much better today, but yeah game management needs to be better by publishers. 

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

6 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

I’ve seen my friend buy and play the last few FIFA games…literally the same features and graphics, in some cases a step back in the later games.

Just not true. To a shallow view yes they’re the same game but a fairly large amount of features get both updated and created in every year of a sports franchise. Generally it will be a mix of adding a couple gameplay features as well as usually making a large change to one of the modes. (Franchise, etc) On top ofc of graphical features to stay up with the photo realism modern sports games demand.

I've gotten FIFA for each of the last 10 years.  And only play franchise mode, so I'm not buying it new each year to stay current online or anything like that.

For the most part, its to get the updated rosters, new real in-game faces, and new gameplay.  I do think the game plays differently each year (to varying degrees).

While they rarely do much to improve the mechanics of franchise mode (other than a change in how transfers were handled 5+ years ago), I'm usually pretty content with the game.  But will say that this year was different - it was a huge step in the wrong direction, and the game was way worse.  Both in terms of gameplay, and also a weird bug where the game was way darker than it should have been half the time, and you'd have to pause and then go back into the match to get it fixed.  As a result, I've played it way less than usual, and I'm not sure if I'll buy it again next time around.

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2024 at 6:04 AM, Mexal said:

I've been playing too. It's great fun. Not perfect and I suspect over the next year or so, it'll be a really really good game, but the changes they made in season 4 are very much in the right direction. I appreciate they stole tempering from Last Epoch and Pits from D3. They were good mechanics worth stealing. The leveling is fast, the monster density large and the itemization easier to manage. I have a level 100 necro minion build and working on a double swing dust devil Barb which will ultimately turn into a Thorns Barb assuming I can get a baller Razorplate. I'll probably do a heartseaker rogue next since it's pretty easy to level and I'm having a lot of fun.

I got a baller Razorplate and have been theory crafting a Thorns Build without Guide glimpsing, as I've always enjoyed trying to figure out my own thing before endgame metas start dictating. My Barb is 100 now and Masterworking is almost silly. On one piece alone [a 2H, and it's only lvl 7 Masterwork mind] I got 130% crit dmg and 325% Bash Cleave dmg. At MW12 that Bash buff will probably be 500ish %, whew. edit: I've also got an idea for a Bash variation I haven't seen in anyone's Guide yet but that's gear specific and will require a lot of farming

Been thinking about a Barrage Rogue but I want to farm a lot more Gold before I start leveling another toon. 

Edited by JGP

1 hour ago, JGP said:

I got a baller Razorplate and have been theory crafting a Thorns Build without Guide glimpsing, as I've always enjoyed trying to figure out my own thing before endgame metas start dictating. My Barb is 100 now and Masterworking is almost silly. On one piece alone [a 2H, and it's only lvl 7 Masterwork mind] I got 130% crit dmg and 325% Bash Cleave dmg. At MW12 that Bash buff will probably be 500ish %, whew. edit: I've also got an idea for a Bash variation I haven't seen in anyone's Guide yet but that's gear specific and will require a lot of farming

Been thinking about a Barrage Rogue but I want to farm a lot more Gold before I start leveling another toon. 

Love it. My Barb is now up to 65, making some progress. Finally got the aspects I was looking for to run the double swing build. I'm going to switch to a Bash in a bit but for now, I'm blowing through content so gonna have fun with this for awhile.

On 5/24/2024 at 2:36 AM, Argonath Diver said:

I don't play console sports games - that last one I was good at was Madden '94. But I was just asking this same question to my younger coworkers, and they all agreed that it's simply because everyone else is playing whatever the new one is. Same with my ARPGs - gamers play the new league/season etc and the permanent characters are in a completely dormant basement. So while MLB The Show 2021 or whatever would be just fine to play solo, anyone that wants to play online is going to default to whatever the newest release is.

Yep. It's the Twitter effect. People only keep using it because it's still the place people use. If there was a true lift and shift, people would gladly abandon that place. They've tried a few times but each was a failure for various reasons (often including that the new option was released without key features people want and they're not willing to wait for them).

Dragon Quest 3 HD-2D Remake 'Draws Near' as Square Enix Confirms Platforms
The legacy begins.

https://www.ign.com/articles/dragon-quest-3-hd-2d-remake-draws-near-as-square-enix-confirms-platforms

"The legend of Erdrick draws near," the post reads, while a short teaser video ends with the phrase: "The legacy begins." This suggests Square Enix is close to revealing a proper look at the game and perhaps a release date, potentially during a showcase in summer 2024 when E3 once took place.

Dragon Quest 3 HD-2D Remake was announced as a recreation of the 1988 original, meaning it will arrive more than three decades later. The HD-2D style was coined when Square Enix released Octopath Traveller for Nintendo Switch in 2018, which had 2D characters moving through high quality backgrounds in a tribute to classic turn-based RPGs.

I fucking love the HD2D style. Really need to finish Live-A-Live and Triangle Strategy. Also want to get the Star Ocean 2 remake but it'll have to wait till I have some of the RPGs I already have on deck down.

But I can't fucking wait for the Chrono Trigger HD-2D remake. I mean, it's not been announced or even credibly rumoured, but it's inevitable, surely? 

About 25 hours into Ghost of Tsushima now and it's mostly solid, although rarely exceptional. The art style is great (overcoming the slightly-janky PS4ness of the original engine), the music and mood is very well done but it is at heart a Ubilike with a big open world map and a ton of question marks. I would say the side activities are pretty solid and feed back into the world and story in a good way, rather than just being totally filler bullshit. I 100%ed the starting area (one of three, but it looks like the second area is somewhat smaller and the third is tiny) without really meaning to and it was fairly enjoyable.

The game's main selling point is stealth and combat. Stealth is good without being too overpowered, and feels a bit like a third-person Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun. This is a good thing. Combat starts off being a bit shit, until I worked out the game deliberately severely gimps you at the start. It's a reasonable idea to avoid random combat and bosses as much as possible at the start of the game and just run around unlocking the steam baths to whack your health up as much as possible, and then focus on story missions until ~10 hours into the game, as these will give you enough points and cash to boost your armour, sword and dodging skills. Once you do these things the game actually becomes weirdly easier the more you whack up the difficulty, as on Hard the game reduces your hit points but also the enemy's, so on Easy you're just wailing on one another for ages doing tiny amounts of damage, which is a big problem when you're trying to take out a whole mob or stopping 1 guy from killing a hostage etc.

It's doing that interesting Days Gone thing of starting off a bit meh but it is steadily improving as it goes along, which is rare but welcome.

Posted (edited)

Star Citizen funding surpasses $700 million. Still no release date in view, although the Squadron 42 single-player game is now seven months into internal beta-testing.

Also confirmation that Resident Evil 0 and Code Veronica are being remastered, but not RE1, which surprised a lot of industry-watchers.

Edited by Werthead

Overall enjoying Fallout 4. About ten hours in. Combat and gameplay is fun. Still has the same ole bugs. Companion gets knocked down, can't use stim to regenerate. Companion pops up in the next area, still on ass, still can't stim, but offering words of encouragement and even a story into their past (Piper). 

Very quickly reminded how redundant and long Bethesda dungeons are. Whether it's a dwemer ruin, or a decrepit factory, it's gonna take an hour to get to the center of the tootsie pop. 

On 5/27/2024 at 4:13 PM, Martell Spy said:

Dragon Quest 3 HD-2D Remake 'Draws Near' as Square Enix Confirms Platforms
The legacy begins.

https://www.ign.com/articles/dragon-quest-3-hd-2d-remake-draws-near-as-square-enix-confirms-platforms

Its interesting that the announcement has fueled widespread speculation that it could actually be an HD2D remake of the entire Erdrick Saga.  The imaging has nothing with a 3 in it and the use of the phrase:  "The legend of Erdrick draws near,"  "The legacy begins."

It almost seems deliberately vague.  And lets be honest, it wouldn't take much at all to go ahead adapt DQ1 and 2 once the heavy lifting has been done for the much bigger DQ3.

I've been looking forward to HD2D part three since it was first announced a couple years ago and it would be a day one purchase either way, so if it is just poorly worded and a DQ3 only release... I'm good.  But if its all three, I'll be super excited. 

• Ran locked this topic